hookem12387

Advanced Member
I'm curious what yall's thoughts are? I just received a pair of natural linen colored ones from www.ropeysoles.com, and I may never change out of them. I could see the look being a bit effeminate, but I believe Hemingway was a fan, amongst others.

They seem an infinitely better option than flip flops as our temps sore upward and onward past 95 degrees. And oh are they comfortable.

Epaminondas

Have no idea if Hemingway wore them - wouldn't care if he did. He, apparently, had mental health issues case so, his choice of footwear (if true) could be a reflection of his mental decline.

I think nothing is so likely to make a man look silly as espadrilles - not kiltie loafers, not even crocs. I hate flip flops, but they are MUCH better of a choice for a man than espadrilles. Aside from the fact that they are perceived by 99.5% of the population to be exclusively a woman's shoe - they simply don't look good. I'm not sure in what circumstances I would wear espadrilles in lieu of loafers, Bean bluchers, or camp/canoe mocs - there are so many other casual footwear summer options that look great and don't look like you accidentally put on your wife/girlfriend/sister's shoes.....

They rank even higher than formal pumps for the footwear I am least likely to ever wear.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I thought only French shopkeepers wore espadrilles. When the weather gets that hot here, I just go barefoot indoors and walk the dog in sneakers early in the morning. But I understand that in the summer in Austin it doesn't cool down much at night so you may be onto something.

BorderBandit

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
As someone with large feet who can never find shoes, I have to admit I've tried them since you can make the things in any dang size. However, despite the comfort level I'm not a fan and regret them. First, yeah, the effeminate factor....yeah, it doesn't get any better. Plus the things just didn't last. It seemed you get any water on them and the fell apart. I don't know, I always considered them something you had to be more "European" to pull off considering their heritage.

statboy

I recently bought some hauraches and I'm digging them. After all, they are in a Beach Boys song....

Now, what does 'naturally made footwear' actually mean?

Trip English

Honors Member
I don't see any reason to worry about where a unisex shoe falls on the gender continuum. In reality, anything you do beyond baggy jeans and a t-shirt is going to be viewed derisively be someone. If we worry about what the sniggering 14 year old mind is going to poke fun at we may as well quit our sartorial pursuits altogether.

I wore black espadrilles through high school and well into college before changing to boat shoes and have only put off getting another pair because I have too many damn shoes as it is. I would recommend you put yours unashamedly into full rotation.

katon

Nothing wrong with espadrilles. :)

Brooks Brothers has promoted them, if that helps set them in context:

(1941)

(1980)

Good as slippers, nice at the beach, probably even decent on a boat (as long as they're wet)...

Toms espadrille-a-likes seem to be having some popularity among the younger set, and you can still get them from French and Spanish manufacturers without too much difficulty.

It's a wide wide world out there... :icon_smile_big:

Last edited:

Benson

I know most men find them effeminate, but they seem fine for running errands. Where they really come in handy, though, is to and from the beach.

re flip flops: don't. ever. please?

Epaminondas

I wore black espadrilles through high school and well into college before changing to boat shoes and have only put off getting another pair because I have too many damn shoes as it is. I would recommend you put yours unashamedly into full rotation.
Wow, you obviously move in more rarified cricles than I. Wearing those things in HS would have got me hazed, ostracized, and probably in fights. In college they would have got me ostracized (except maybe by theatre majors) and would have guaranteed GDI status and a reltively solitary existence.

I'm far from 14 and I would still give a friend grief if I saw him wearing those things - it would be for his own good.

C. Sharp

Are we really talking about generational relevance? I was hearing they were to feminine. I do not remember Bogart and Wayne starring in La cage aux fall .

Does anybody under 60 actually find Bogart cool? He always struck me as a scrawny dude with a speech impediment. That outfit makes it look like he antcipated the leisure suit by about 20 years.

Last edited:

DoghouseReilly

Does anybody under 60 actually find Bogart cool? He always struck me as a scrawny dude with a speech impediment. That outfit makes it look like he antcipated the leisure suit by about 20 years.
If Bogart isn't cool, nay, the epitome of cool, I don't want to know what cool is. I don't know about his pictured get up, though.

Go ahead and wear them. Like others have said, chances are that anything about how we dress would be fodder for someone out there.

Epaminondas, I'm wondering what espadrilles ever did to you to deserve such disdain. :)

Trad-ish

I don't know. You've got to draw a line somewhere and I think it's at espadrilles.

I can see firedancer's point but, again, where do you draw the line? If you have the cajones to wear 5" heels, would you wear them?

You are really working along the edge of confident vs cross-dresser (Yes, I know it's an over-simplification).

Having been around a little, I think espadrilles reek of Don Johnson a la "Miami Vice" which, given the time lag, explains why there are back in semi-fashion now.

Epaminondas

If Bogart isn't cool, nay, the epitome of cool, I don't want to know what cool is.
He's about as cool as Henry Winkler, i.e., he's invented/manufactured cool - if he hadn't lucked into acting , he would have been a book keeper. He's as intimidating as a Yorkie - sorry your opinion differs.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.