Fading Fast

Connoisseur
When we lived in Houston we made bananas Foster a lot. It’s been thirty years, and I’m finally ready for more!
The '70s was a heyday of flaming food - Bananas Foster, (Howard's) Cherries Flambe, shish kabobs and Steak Diana - each ablaze in front of any table that ordered one of those.

When you went to a nicer restaurant in the '70s, there where mini fires going on everywhere.

Plus Caesar Salad, if ordered, was usually prepared at the table where the waiter rolled out a waist-high cart with all the ingredients separate - he would then proceed to toss them together (more often than not) with quite a flourish.

There was a lot of theater to eating out back then.

FiscalDean

The '70s was a heyday of flaming food - Bananas Foster, (Howard's) Cherries Flambe, shish kabobs and Steak Diana - each ablaze in front of any table that ordered one of those.

When you went to a nicer restaurant in the '70s, there where mini fires going on everywhere.

Plus Caesar Salad, if ordered, was usually prepared at the table where the waiter rolled out a waist-high cart with all the ingredients separate - he would then proceed to toss them together (more often than not) with quite a flourish.

So true, my undergraduate degree was in Hotel & Restaurant Management. During my summers, I worked in a hotel, splitting my time between the front office and the fine dining restaurant. The restaurant had a maître d that did a number of desserts tableside, most of them of the flaming variety. However, the most popular tableside prepared dessert was the Strawberries Romanoff. Given that most people can't make real whipped cream, I think people enjoyed watching it made right in front of them or maybe it was the addition of booze that didn't have the alcohol burned off in the preparation.

TKI67

My “big brother” in college was Tom Guernsey, Alice Waters’ partner in Chez Panisse. No flame involved (other than the burner), but he’d make you a perfect French omelet and a salad at your table. So cool. The perfect light meal.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
One of our local historic watering holes has one employee who does nothing but make Spanish coffee table side. Flaming alcoholic coffee--and it tastes good, too.

I once had a recipe published in Sunset that involved flaming seasoned pork shoulder with tequila. Be careful doing that . Tequila is far more explosive than brandy.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Your post while gastronomically appealing reminds me of some sage advice I became acquainted with quite awhile back..."one should never, ever pour an alcoholic beverage into any culinary concoction over an open flame!" Doing so could lead to an expanded meaning for the term, "fire in the hole." :(

SG_67

Connoisseur

Don’t forget fondue, and swinging!

It actually reminds me of that scene in “The
French Connection “ when Popeye is casing the suspects who are having lunch in The Copain.

1562758346398.png

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
^^
Your post while gastronomically appealing reminds me of some sage advice I became acquainted with quite awhile back..."one should never, ever pour an alcoholic beverage into any culinary concoction over an open flame!" Doing so could lead to an expanded meaning for the term, "fire in the hole." :(
Good Lord, no! One removes the concoction from the flame, adds the alcohol (far from any overhead vent!) and then ignites it with a separate match. To do otherwise is risky, really risky. And for anyone silly enough to pour from an open bottle, they get what they deserve.:hidden:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.