Dhaller

Advanced Member
I'm planning on taking the family into the woods to go camping all Thanksgiving week, so I'll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner on coals and over campfires (a cast iron dutch oven to roast a Turkey is the plan, and it had better be good since I'll have to schlep a turkey and a dutch oven through the woods!)

Thinking about desserts, a cobbler is the obvious thing which comes to mind (pot and fire), but for *me*, "cobbler" is simply a fancy term for "bed for scoop of ice cream" (which will not be available.)

Any of our intrepid explorer types have a good idea for desserts in the bush? Beyond the obvious (s'mores) of course?

DH

TKI67

I'm planning on taking the family into the woods to go camping all Thanksgiving week, so I'll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner on coals and over campfires (a cast iron dutch oven to roast a Turkey is the plan, and it had better be good since I'll have to schlep a turkey and a dutch oven through the woods!)

Thinking about desserts, a cobbler is the obvious thing which comes to mind (pot and fire), but for *me*, "cobbler" is simply a fancy term for "bed for scoop of ice cream" (which will not be available.)

Any of our intrepid explorer types have a good idea for desserts in the bush? Beyond the obvious (s'mores) of course?

DH
That sounds like great fun. If you will have a grilling grate, a spatchcocked turkey is easy to cook on said grate. If you go that route, spatchcock it and dry brine it in advance. As to desserts, good old pumpkin pie, cooked in your kitchen, transports very easily and keeps. Have a wonderful time!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.