Men's Clothing Forums banner

Everything Dessert Related

136K views 3K replies 32 participants last post by  Howard 
#1 ·
After viewing all the delicious meals in the "Red Meat" thread, Over here, you can post or comment on all the after dinner desserts you can think of. From cakes, pies, ice cream, cookies or just whatever you like.

How about a delicious hot apple pie right out the oven?

See less See more
#3 ·
Old Maine treat, string pie.

No doubt you've noticed when disrobing a banana that there are slender banana strings down the side. Don't toss them. Depending on how often a banana is eaten, the average person will accumulate enough strings to make a pie after about 40 years.

Worth waiting for though. Yum.

#11 ·
Heck it ain't! Port is sweet and blends beautifully with the salty umami of the Gorgonzola. Don't knock it 'til you try it. You put cheddar on apple pie, don't you?

#23 ·
My father practiced a variation on your theme, which is that a scoop (pretty comfortable that man never used the term "dollop" - probably had never even heard it - in his life) of chocolate ice-cream made every dessert that much better. It wasn't until I moved out into the real world that I learned that normal people add vanilla ice-cream or whip-cream to desserts and not chocolate ice-cream.

But, then again, a man forged in the Depression and who had no truck with 1970s culture was quite often (always) out of step with many prevailing norms when I was growing up. I lived in two worlds as a kid: scarred post-Depression seriousness at home / crazy '70s libertinism away from home - :crazy:.

#29 ·
Heck it ain't! Port is sweet and blends beautifully with the salty umami of the . Don't knock it 'til you try it. You put cheddar on apple pie, don't you?
As a resident of the Dairy State, I will endorse either vanilla ice cream or a big chunk of aged cheddar. Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze.

#33 ·
I haven't had Key Lime Pie in a long, long time. Perhaps I'll seek one out this weekend.

We had a restaurant in Atlanta, many years ago, which was undone by Key Lime Pie. "Hemingways" was the name of the place, and the Key Lime Pie was so renowned that folks would make a special trip just for a slice; the problem was that Hemingways was a *full service restaurant*, yet here it was, occupied by patrons sitting just for a slice of pie. They might have dinner elsewhere (there was a popular eatery called Einstein's right next door - that's still there after thirty years - and there was a pedestrian, Key Lime Pie-fueled funnel from Einstein's to Hemingway's), and then they'd come over for a slice.

A restaurant does not live by pie alone! It proved its undoing.

DH

#34 ·
On a related note (slightly), a favorite dessert of mine after tucking in to a heavy Italian meal is a light dessert of sorbet or gelato splashed with limoncello.

A favorite family-owned Italian eatery of mine got me started on it; they have a nice, house-made limoncello, and one summer gave me a scoop of lemon sorbet in limoncello, and it was so delicious and refreshing; I've since had several variations on it there.

(Drawing inspiration from this, I sometimes pair vanilla gelato and sake at home in a Japanese take on the treat.)

DH

*I suppose most Italian restaurants are family-owned, but I mention it here because over the years, we've become quite close to the owners, who treat patrons like family. When my wife was in the hospital after the birth of our daughter, they even brought her a dinner (some dishes traditionally-prepared for new mothers in Italy), so she could recover her strength properly! My kind of restaurateurs.

#39 ·
That's because you're used to Key Lime pies that have been filled with green food coloring, an anathema to the purists among us. Lime juice is not green. For that matter, ripe limes aren't green either but somewhere along the line some yahoo decided to put green coloring in the pie. Possibly he/she was trying to differentiate it from lemon meringue. One never knows how nonsense gets started.