Men's Clothing Forums banner

Everything Dessert Related

136K views 3K replies 32 participants last post by  Howard 
#1 ·
After viewing all the delicious meals in the "Red Meat" thread, Over here, you can post or comment on all the after dinner desserts you can think of. From cakes, pies, ice cream, cookies or just whatever you like.

How about a delicious hot apple pie right out the oven?

See less See more
#1,025 · (Edited)
Yeah, probably. It's Godiva, after all.
I'm sure I've told this story here before, but growing up, we were a nothing-fancy household. Chocolate was Hershey's or Mars or some other mass-market brand. And a gift box was Russell Stover or Whitman's. That was chocolate to me as a kid. I had all but no idea that higher-quality chocolate even existed.

Then one Christmas, someone sent my Dad a large box of Godiva chocolates. It was like a small spaceship had landed in our house. We all raced through dinner the first night just so that we could try it. Today, my girlfriend and I would break into it the minute it showed up, but my parents had restraint.

I can still remember the feeling of excitement when we opened the gold box and lifted off the brown wax paper sitting over the chocolates. I think we each got three pieces a night (it lasted a good long time). Even as a kid, you knew Godiva was much better than the chocolate we had been eating (and would very shortly be eating again). I particularly remember this piece.
ecusson-fondant.png

As it was the best piece of chocolate I had ever eaten to that point.

Godiva's description:
The lion, iconic symbol of Belgium, is embossed on a dark chocolate shell surrounding Godiva's velvety caramel. A true classic!

To this day, it's still one of my favorite pieces of chocolate. But as a kid, that was my one experience with high-quality chocolate as, once that box was gone, it was back to Hershey's, etc., for us.

#1,054 ·
I'm planning on taking the family into the woods to go camping all Thanksgiving week, so I'll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner on coals and over campfires (a cast iron dutch oven to roast a Turkey is the plan, and it had better be good since I'll have to schlep a turkey and a dutch oven through the woods!)

Thinking about desserts, a cobbler is the obvious thing which comes to mind (pot and fire), but for *me*, "cobbler" is simply a fancy term for "bed for scoop of ice cream" (which will not be available.)

Any of our intrepid explorer types have a good idea for desserts in the bush? Beyond the obvious (s'mores) of course?

DH