Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Clackamas county is cautiously opening up and bit by bit we can go places. However, the insistence on masks is still in place and therein lies the rub. For those of us with hearing aids, the wrap around the ears masks are a pain in the lower back. Is there a good mask around that ties behind your head and neck and won't throw your $3K hearing aid across the parking lot? I haven't seen any and want some.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Clackamas county is cautiously opening up and bit by bit we can go places. However, the insistence on masks is still in place and therein lies the rub. For those of us with hearing aids, the wrap around the ears masks are a pain in the lower back. Is there a good mask around that ties behind your head and neck and won't throw your $3K hearing aid across the parking lot? I haven't seen any and want some.
Sorry I can't offer anything better suited but the bandanas you steered me to can be worn western bad-guy style, which is what I did before being able to secure some of the paper variety with bands that loop about the ears. I hope someone has a better alternative, because frankly, when folded, the cotton voile squares while effective are a bit warm, and not that comfortable worn in that fashion.

Fortunately, I find the paper variety with ear straps ideal, as I'm only hard of hearing when my wife is speaking! ;)

smmrfld

Best to just use the simple disposable type with the elastic bands that go behind your head, not your ears. May not be as aesthetically pleasing, but solves your problem.

medhat

I would think Etsy would be your best shot. Until this thread I hadn't realized the majority of the masks out there are ones that loop over your ears. That makes sense as it's easier for most that having masks with ties. Having worn a facemask routinely for more than half of my life I legitimately can't remember how I learned to tie a knot behind my head, but now it's like riding a bike. Or you can maybe solicit someone with handy sewing skills, there are plenty of DIY instructions out there. Either way, stay safe!

poppies

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It sounds like the masks from Los Angeles Apparel would be right up your alley. The bands go all the way behind your head, so the masks can be quickly pulled down to "ascot level" ready for quick redeployment, and they're very breathable and washable. Many colors/designs are available, also.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
It sounds like the masks from Los Angeles Apparel would be right up your alley. The bands go all the way behind your head, so the masks can be quickly pulled down to "ascot level" ready for quick redeployment, and they're very breathable and washable. Many colors/designs are available, also.
Los Angeles Apparel, hmm? I'll go look. Thanx.

ItalianStyle

I've seen numerous stories in the news of people 3D printing plastic straps that go behind your neck. You simply extend the ear band to attach to the straps instead of resting behind your ears.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I have these. They're okay, but a little small for my (apparently) big mug. No wonder my wife complains about me being loud all the time? I literally have a big mouth.

I've seen some more generous ones which you can tie according to your own specification, though that's fussy for me; they seem mostly artisan-made, which means Etsy.

(I happen to know some costume designers - perks of living in a "film industry" city - who have kept busty making masks; most of them are vending on Etsy as well.)

DH

DRWWE

I got a few of these from dodocase. Well made and they tie at the back of your head like a surgeon's mask. The straps are pretty long and elastic, so are easy to take on and off. You can even slide a filter between the layers of fabric if you want to make breathing more difficult.

These have ear loops, but are much more stylish (assuming anyone would think a silly mask can be stylish). Not sure how they would do with hearing aids. They are using leftover fabric from their garments.

And there are these:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
I know what you mean by the elastics not being long enough. For whatever reason, my head is the wrong shape and I can't wear elastic masks. I still haven't gotten around to making one that has ties but I need to since I have things I have to do in the real world. In terms of materials, two layers of tightly woven cotton are apparently best, so if you're buying handmade ones look for that.

mhj

I got a few of these from dodocase. Well made and they tie at the back of your head like a surgeon's mask. The straps are pretty long and elastic, so are easy to take on and off. You can even slide a filter between the layers of fabric if you want to make breathing more difficult.

These have ear loops, but are much more stylish (assuming anyone would think a silly mask can be stylish). Not sure how they would do with hearing aids. They are using leftover fabric from their garments.

And there are these:
I have the Proper Cloth masks and find them extremely comfortable, at least as comfortable as a mask can be.

challer

A standard surgeons mask should serve you well and they seem to be ubiquitous here in NOVA. Let me know and I'll send you some

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.