Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Here you can share those approaches to the clothes we wear that make you scratch your head and go "what were they thinking?" My morning outing to Walmart today on an 8 degree day prompts me to post my top most "what were they thinking" moment. The 30-something guy that comes in wearing long gym shorts and a hoodie. I've seen this sort of thing for decades and am always stupified, not so much from the sartorial perspective but simple physical comfort. Me, I'm wearing the warmest coat I own, an old, heavy WWII great coat that must weigh 10 pounds and goes down near ankle length.

smmrfld

Since you focused on comfort rather than appearance, if that rig is comfortable for him, why judge? What's optimal for one isn't necessarily best for another. Lots of other things to be concerned with in today's world, IMO.

Tweedlover

Since you focused on comfort rather than appearance, if that rig is comfortable for him, why judge? What's optimal for one isn't necessarily best for another. Lots of other things to be concerned with in today's world, IMO.
The look doesn't bother me. It's wondering how he can't be freezing in that outfit.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Here you can share those approaches to the clothes we wear that make you scratch your head and go "what were they thinking?" My morning outing to Walmart today on an 8 degree day prompts me to post my top most "what were they thinking" moment. The 30-something guy that comes in wearing long gym shorts and a hoodie. I've seen this sort of thing for decades and am always stupified, not so much from the sartorial perspective but simple physical comfort. Me, I'm wearing the warmest coat I own, an old, heavy WWII great coat that must weigh 10 pounds and goes down near ankle length.
Tweedlover:

Ignorance, not to mention lack of concern about self-image! It's similar to the folks at the theatre here in California in shorts and tee-shirts! I don't think the logical answer is "comfort". I've been very comfortable in a nice suit, tie and shoes that fit properly.

Rosarito

Starting Member
This thread made me recall my late 1980s teenage skateboarding days when I would wear shorts and sneakers no matter what was going on with the weather. If my mom caught me leaving the house on a cold day and told me to dress warmer, I'd throw on a second t-shirt. Occasionally, someone would ask if my legs were cold. I always said, "Nah, I'm used to it." I think your Walmart man's legs might just be used to it.

TKI67

Elite Member
Tweedlover:

Ignorance, not to mention lack of concern about self-image! It's similar to the folks at the theatre here in California in shorts and tee-shirts! I don't think the logical answer is "comfort". I've been very comfortable in a nice suit, tie and shoes that fit properly.
I agree completely. To me khakis and OCBDs are about as comfortable as clothing can be, and adding a Shetland when the mercury plunges is just awfully nice. A tie with a properly sized shirt is not only comfortable it is warm.

ItalianStyle

I find it funny when some people try to follow a trend in a way that goes directly against the trend:

I once walked behind a young guy, who - at first glance - looked to be wearing his 3/4 length shorts in the above way (although slightly slanted).
Looking closer, I realized that he was actually wearing those shorts at the hip, but the shorts were designed in a way to give the impression of being worn 'prison style'. So the upper part of the shorts were made of fabric that should resemble underwear and then below - slightly slanted - fabric that should look like shorts worn low. Not sure how much street-cred he would get...

Another example is when the 'ripped jeans' craze was hitting. Soon after you could buy pre-ripped jeans in the stores. So far so good, but then some brand started selling pre-ripped jeans, where the rips were carefully stitched so they wouldn't fray. I'm sure they meant well - "We can't have customers complaining that their jeans are falling apart" - but I don't think they understood the trend.

ItalianStyle

Ripped or holey jeans were the in thing when I was a young buck in the early 1970's.
That sounds about right... I think the ripped jeans fad has come and gone several times since then - each time probably with a different 'statement'.
My story was from the 1980's in Europe...

Tweedlover

Who thinks wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts in the winter is a bad clothing choice?
Yup, that's what I meant when I started this thread. I had to go out in 12 degree weather this afternoon dressed in 1 of my old long topcoats and I still was mighty cold.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
I find it funny when some people try to follow a trend in a way that goes directly against the trend:

I once walked behind a young guy, who - at first glance - looked to be wearing his 3/4 length shorts in the above way (although slightly slanted).
Looking closer, I realized that he was actually wearing those shorts at the hip, but the shorts were designed in a way to give the impression of being worn 'prison style'. So the upper part of the shorts were made of fabric that should resemble underwear and then below - slightly slanted - fabric that should look like shorts worn low. Not sure how much street-cred he would get...

Another example is when the 'ripped jeans' craze was hitting. Soon after you could buy pre-ripped jeans in the stores. So far so good, but then some brand started selling pre-ripped jeans, where the rips were carefully stitched so they wouldn't fray. I'm sure they meant well - "We can't have customers complaining that their jeans are falling apart" - but I don't think they understood the trend.
From The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

In 1987 the public desire for the “ripped and torn” look was supplied by manufacturers who sold jeans that were already slashed, washed, sand blown and braised! The baggy look gained popularity in 1992, inspired by beltless prison jeans and the look of prisoners who loose weight serving time in the “big house”.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.