Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Another recent trend I just don't get is going sockless with suits. Looks so wrong. In fact, I don't think it looks right with any kind of dress pants. To me for it to work the pants have to be very casual and the footwear probably needs to be sneakers or deck shoes.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Another recent trend I just don't get is going sockless with suits. Looks so wrong. In fact, I don't think it looks right with any kind of dress pants. To me for it to work the pants have to be very casual and the footwear probably needs to be sneakers or deck shoes.
Tweedlover:

Good post. The sockless craze started a few decades ago by southern fraternity members who thought it looked "cool". My problem is that feet sweat and with no socks there is no barrier between feet and leather (or other fabric) shoes which lowers the lifetime of the shoes.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Really, in light of the many "silly" trends over the years, the current athleisure trend (yoga wear, hoodies, fleece & the like) in eminently practical. Close fitting, flexible, comfortable and breathable fabrics, usually a decent number of zippered pockets, easy to adjust for temperature variation, etc... there's little in the way of rational argument against it.

At the end of the day, once clothing has solved the primary problem of protecting the body from the environment, it's all just messaging. Athleisure suggests - to me, at least - a kind of unfussy, practical approach to dress. Not a bad thing, really... though, admittedly, I'd feel funny teaching a seminar in athleisure wear (we all know that tweed focuses ideas and theories and broadcasts them efficiently to the students!)

DH

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I would never find it to be acceptable garb, but prior to the pandemic, the grandkids had designated pajama wear days at their high school. ;)
Yes, pajama day seems to be a modern standard. My daughter has had a pajama day every year (well, not this year).

I'm convinced some families actually buy a set of "nice" pajamas just for their child's pajama day. Competitive parenting!

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
And the teacher never found it to be inappropriate?
Our oldest daughter is one of the Teachers at her three kids high school, so I'll have to ask her what she thought of the PJ days. I suspect she thought it to be Ok, because on at least one occasion she wore her normal clothes, but added a 'night cap' to the ensemble! ;)

Troones

Here’s a bit of an admission. There’s one recent trend that probably isn’t popular around here that I like, and only avoid because it’s age inappropriate for me: casual sport coat with joggers! :hidden:

I just like the very casual yet mildly dressy vibe, and I do envy millennials and those young enough to pull it off.

Tweedlover

Here’s a bit of an admission. There’s one recent trend that probably isn’t popular around here that I like, and only avoid because it’s age inappropriate for me: casual sport coat with joggers! :hidden:

I just like the very casual yet mildly dressy vibe, and I do envy millennials and those young enough to pull it off.
That's a new one on me. Can't say I've ever seen it. I'll just keep my opinion to myself on that one. ;)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Why? If you can’t wear them, there’s no reason why others shouldn’t.
Perhaps rather than gender or even age, size should be the determining factor as to who wears "skinny jeans." One should never presume to force three pounds into a two pound sack! It looks just horrible. Just sayin.... LOL. ;)

Tweedlover

Another recent suit trend that looked odd to me was short pant length with cuffs ending several inches above the shoe while standing. Was the intent to show off socks? In my young adult days we would refer to them as "high water" pants derogatorily.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.