Charles Dana

Honors Member
For years, there were only two ways to get an idea of what Mercer and Sons shirts really looked like: order them for yourself or ask somebody to post a photograph of their own Mercer shirt on a forum like this. That's because, rather disappointingly, the Mercer and Sons web site did not have any photos of the product--merely two sketches of shirt collars.

Recently, however, the Mercer web site has been updated with many photos of freshly-made shirts--featuring button-down, point, and spread collars--made of oxford cloth, pinpoint oxford, and broadcloth. Stripes as well as solids.

Quite interesting. Check it out.

ASF

Mercer Pink Univ. in action

Daer All,

Here are two quick snaps of my Mercer Pink University shirt with a Press Navy-Silver repp. This combo pairs well with a solid navy or charcoal suit.

Just as a point of reference, I wear a 15-35, 42L and I weight ~173 lbs. As you can see, the cut is spacious. I have a few Mercer slim cuts. They are slimmer, but not so much as one would call the fit snug.

Regards-

asf

Wisco

I have a couple on order and David Mercer has been a pleasure to deal with, however I have waited almost 6 weeks to receive the first of the multiple shirts I ordered. I'm willing to wait, but this does seem a bit excessive for standard sizing clothing.

Ciao,

Wisco

JakeLA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Daer All,

Here are two quick snaps of my Mercer Pink University shirt with a Press Navy-Silver repp. This combo pairs well with a solid navy or charcoal suit.

Just as a point of reference, I wear a 15-35, 42L and I weight ~173 lbs. As you can see, the cut is spacious. I have a few Mercer slim cuts. They are slimmer, but not so much as one would call the fit snug.

Regards-

asf
that's more a burqa than a shirt

Speas

looks good to me. I have a number of Mercer shirts and heartly recommend them. I once laid a Mercer on top of a BB standard OCBD - they were cut very similarly.

sjk

ASF's shirt/tie combo is great. The soft, unlined collars and cuffs make for a very comfortable shirt.
As an owner of several Mercers, I think the "baggier" aspect of the Mercer shirt is overstated and actually tends to scare people off. Yes, it's a full cut shirt but no more so than BB or RL's classic fit. David can give you precise dimensions if necessary. (Discussions about fit, unless you have a tape measure in hand, often tend to the pointless, in my opinion.)
David can "customize" a shirt if you desire, e.g. put a smaller body on a given neck size and/or taper the waist. (It's not a bespoke shirt though.) This can however run up the already considerable cost of the shirts. They are not cheap. I think they do all of their cuttings at once, hence, you may need to wait several weeks. They are probably a small shop and sometimes get backed up. They wait is often worth it.

gman-17

The collars are awesome. Just curious, if the shirt is bespoke, why the bagginess?
They are not bespoke shirts--they aren't even MTM. They are MTO to their specific designs. I am a big fan of Mytailor and Joe Hemranjani. There is an individual on Style Forum who had a Brooks Brothers copy project with Joe. It turned out very nice. I do not mean to dismiss the Mercer shirts. Years ago I bought a few. They have a nice feel to the fabric and a great collar roll--but they are definitely tents. I am a 16 neck and somewhere between a 34 and 35 sleeve. I weigh about a buck sixty-five. The shirts really don't work well for guys like me. Mytailor will make you a MTM shirt with a brooks style collar--but the shirt will be made for you. That is my suggestion.

Mississippi Mud

The soft, unlined collars and cuffs make for a very comfortable shirt. As an owner of several Mercers, I think the "baggier" aspect of the Mercer shirt is overstated and actually tends to scare people off. . . . David can "customize" a shirt if you desire, e.g. put a smaller body on a given neck size and/or taper the waist.
I'll second these sentiments. I purchased my first Mercer shirts last year upon the board's recommendations. Hesitant about the supposed "bagginess," I spoke with David about my needs and he reduced the size of the body for me. All in all, I'm extremely pleased: the fabrics in both shirts have a fantastic hand and are very comfortable, and the fit is sufficient. David's customer service has no peer, in my opinion, and I'm willing to pay for his cordiality. I plan to order another shirt from Mercer this fall but will order the shirt in a tall this time.

Bear in mind that Mercer is one of only three or four businesses that I feel confident recommending without reservation. Sad indictment on the times.

sjk

The collar points seem longer than BB. Are they? If so, does anyone know the difference and can post the measurements?
BB's website lists a polo collar (for the special order shirts) as being 3 3/8" (or 3 6/16"). Mercer quotes their collar length as 3 7/16".

My unscientific measurements on unpressed, unstarched collars suggest that the BB is 3 1/4" and the Mercer is 3 1/2".

smile

Starting Member
May I ask how high is the Mercer and Sons button-down collar band in the front (where the button is) and in the back and how thick/stable is the interlining used in the collar band? Does the collar stay up well when worn without a tie?

Thanks in advance,
s.

EastVillageTrad

I've had some for about 4 years and they are very nice. I some some pullovers and flap pockets made among other things.

Pricey compared to BB. But if you are looking for something special worth it.

Very nice to see some photos on the site.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.