First Ascot

cellochris

Gentlemen,

I stumbled upon this Brooks Brothers ascot while thrifting today and could not resist:

My phone camera and the lighting makes it a bit washed out; IRL it is a much darker blue and the patterning appears a bit nicer.

I have an informal meeting with friends/coworkers on Monday and I will wear this and report back. They have been commenting and giving me a hard time on my new shoes so I'm interested to see what, if anything, they will have to say regarding the ascot :tongue2:

Many thanks to Flanderian for this thread on ascots back in December.

-Chris

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
Good for you, and a good, conservative first choice. I have one that is virtually identical to that from Beau Ties.

Wear it boldly, with pride, and enjoy the gentle caress of silk on you neck and chest.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Gentlemen,

I stumbled upon this Brooks Brothers ascot while thrifting today and could not resist:

My phone camera and the lighting makes it a bit washed out; IRL it is a much darker blue and the patterning appears a bit nicer.

I have an informal meeting with friends/coworkers on Monday and I will wear this and report back. They have been commenting and giving me a hard time on my new shoes so I'm interested to see what, if anything, they will have to say regarding the ascot :tongue2:

Many thanks to Flanderian for this thread on ascots back in December.

-Chris

Nice tie! :thumbs-up:

I would expect that at first your colleagues will mine your appearance for any possible comedic value. The more insecure among them will venture closer to actual ridicule in attempts to return you to the herd. (But being academia they must be careful not to appear as pathetic as they truly are.) Eventually you will pass from an oddity, to an eccentric, and finally to a valued eccentric who is admired for his style.

"When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made,
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred"

A life without cojones, is a life without honor. I.e., worthless.

CornoUltimo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Very nice find sir. Ascots are rather eccentric, but flanderian has summed up the process quite well.

You could also just wear it like a scarf

cellochris

Good for you, and a good, conservative first choice. I have one that is virtually identical to that from Beau Ties.

Wear it boldly, with pride, and enjoy the gentle caress of silk on you neck and chest.
Thank you! It was sheer luck that it happened to be there.

Nice tie! :thumbs-up:

I would expect that at first your colleagues will mine your appearance for any possible comedic value. The more insecure among them will venture closer to actual ridicule in attempts to return you to the herd. (But being academia they must be careful not to appear as pathetic as they truly are.) Eventually you will pass from an oddity, to an eccentric, and finally to a valued eccentric who is admired for his style.

"When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made,
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred"

A life without cojones, is a life without honor. I.e., worthless.
Thank you Flanderian! Great quote and agreed, you gotta have cojones to enjoy life :)

My friends and colleagues are a healthy mix of academics and active musicians; they keep me on my toes for sure.

I have gotten one friend into his first pair of nice shoes (chili AE McGreggors, long wing blucher on sale) and a coworker wants to go with me to AE when he gets his tax rebates. Oddly enough it has been two of my female friends who have ridden me the hardest regarding my expanded shoe collection. Jealousy perhaps? :siesta:

I'll post their reactions (or possible lack thereof, who knows) Monday evening.

Very nice find sir. Ascots are rather eccentric, but flanderian has summed up the process quite well.

You could also just wear it like a scarf

Thank you CornoUltimo! I've been reading up on how to wear them and am debating between under the shirt vs like a scarf.

Since the ascot today I've been looking online for a few more, this one was only $3 but I see that they are typically $80-160 . . .

Last edited:

cellochris

they are multiplying

I went a little nuts and bought four ascots; I really like the look.

After some searching I settled with some Amazon 100% silk ascots. They are ordered via Amazon Prime with free returns, so if they turn out be cheap/poorly made I can return them:

Blue multi-colored polka dot ascot

Blue polka dot ascot

Red polka dot ascot

Orange Floral ascot

$60 total = $15 each, not bad.

They will be here Saturday and I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I went a little nuts and bought four ascots; I really like the look.

After some searching I settled with some Amazon 100% silk ascots. They are ordered via Amazon Prime with free returns, so if they turn out be cheap/poorly made I can return them:

Blue multi-colored polka dot ascot

Blue polka dot ascot

Red polka dot ascot

Orange Floral ascot

$60 total = $15 each, not bad.

They will be here Saturday and I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Wow, those are awfully inexpensive, I hope you like them. But it could be argued that the price of better silk ties or ascots is ridiculous; and it is! Still there seems to be lesser and greater degrees of "too much." I think Press and similar companies are getting nearly $100 for one. And I won't even tell you how much I paid at F. R. Trippler about 15 years ago for a couple of especially extravagant silk.

But I'm sure there are less expensive avenues for decent quality. Recently, I've found some of these -

appealing, and if the quality is good, it's a bit better price.

I look forward to seeing the photos of those you'll be receiving!

cellochris

Wow, those are awfully inexpensive, I hope you like them. But it could be argued that the price of better silk ties or ascots is ridiculous; and it is! Still there seems to be lesser and greater degrees of "too much." I think Press and similar companies are getting nearly $100 for one. And I won't even tell you how much I paid at F. R. Trippler about 15 years ago for a couple of especially extravagant silk.

But I'm sure there are less expensive avenues for decent quality. Recently, I've found some of these -

appealing, and if the quality is good, it's a bit better price.

I look forward to seeing the photos of those you'll be receiving!

Flanderian,

Thanks for the link, those are some really nice looking ascots. A quick search of BB ascots showed that they were usually $80 or $160, so $50-60 does not seem so bad. I have a few job/career details in the works and if they come through perhaps I will treat myself :) Believe it or not, Amazon and Ebay have ascots for as low as $3, but they are listed as "silk blend".

I figure that the $15 ones are a good starting point for me and if they do turn out to be quite cheap looking, I can send them back. Good ol' Amazon! In retrospect I really lucked out with that first ascot . . .

Pictures Saturday for sure!

cellochris

Pictures

Hi All,

They arrived! Here they are:

Pretty happy with the quality. This picture doesn't do them quite enough justice; they are certainly not as nice as the BB one from my original post (the BB is a bit finer quality/lighter weight?), but the silk of these are of decent quality and the construction is nice. And hey, for $15/each, I can't complain!

-Chris

edit: My apologies for not being more articulate; I'm unsure of how to recognize different quality/grades of silk.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Hi All,

They arrived! Here they are:

Pretty happy with the quality. This picture doesn't do them quite enough justice; they are certainly not as nice as the BB one from my original post (the BB is a bit finer quality/lighter weight?), but the silk of these are of decent quality and the construction is nice. And hey, for $15/each, I can't complain!

-Chris

edit: My apologies for not being more articulate; I'm unsure of how to recognize different quality/grades of silk.

Thanks, Chris, I think those are very handsome and tasteful choices. They should be very versatile, enjoy them! :thumbs-up:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange