Footwear frustrations

Takai

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
So, over the past several months I've been trying out various higher end dress socks in an attempt to phase out a lot of older socks, and nearly every pair I tried developed holes in the heels after 1, maybe 2 wears, consistently. Today, I got my first pair of pantherellas in, thankfully a 2 pack, and wore them right off the card. Sure enough halfway through the day, I noticed a small hole in the heel of the pair I was wearing. This infuriated me, because I just couldnt figure it out. Then I saw it, in the heel of my 986's, a nail had eaten it's way through the insole just enough to leave a tiny hole. I realized that the nail must have been coming up through the hole on the downstep, and snagging the socks, and on the upstep pulling the sock. Thankfully I had a spare pair of shoes in my desk. Now I just need to figure out what to do about my 986s. And start my whole program of socks over again. :(

On the plus side the second pair, sans nails seem to be holding up really nicely.

Anyone else have any interesting footwear related frustrations?

rwaldron

I wear holes through even the thickest of leather soles under the big toe on my right foot in about 9/months on average. Though, I wish I didn't have to, I've gone to getting vibram sole protectors.

pleasehelp

Regarding the shoes, I would think that would be a fairly easy repair for a capable cobbler.

I'm a big guy (6'4" and weigh about 230) with a quick stride, which ends up being brutal on footwear (both socks and shoes). I used to darn holes in my socks but I don't have time anymore. I hate throwing away a pair of socks because of a few holes, but my wife goes throw my sock drawer from time to time to throw out the socks with holes and replace them.

ricardofrancisco

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I find it frustrating how they sizing can't be standardised to make purchasing easier. I'm usually a size US size 8.5 or UK 8. Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I tend to not really try shoes on. I've bought several shoes in these sizes and they have either turned out too large or too small so I ended up giving them away. These days, I don't rush through the buying process but I sure do feel sorry for having to give new shoes away.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Wow.

What kind of shoe is a 986? Sounds like an Alden number ?

Hmmm googling shows Shell Cordovan Hand Sewn Moc .

What do I win ?

Tilton

Elite Member
If every pair of socks is developing holes are one or two wears and you have determined the culprit to be one pair of shoes, you need to work upping your shoe game. However, unless you recently made a sizable donation to Goodwill, I know you have more than one or two pairs of shoes; wear them. You need more than two pairs in regular rotation. Also, if the sock wear doesn't actually match up with the frequency you wear that pair of shoes, your other shoes may be too large. Heel slip will cause premature sock wear.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.