Mathematicus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Until about 10 years ago it was usual to see dozens of these randomly parked in front of bars around small Italian towns. They all belonged to young teenagers that would wander around the town and the surrounding countryside at reckless speed.

When I turned 14 in 2005 and I got the small motorcycle license, I briefly rode my grandfather's Vespa 50 but I found it too heavy and switched soon to a Piaggio Sì (the 90s version of the Ciao, if you know the model) that had belonged to my other late grandfather.

In 2005, although regulations were already strict on the matter, almost nobody wore helmets with these motorcycles. Vespas from the early 60s to the more recent models (like the PX) were the most common model ridden by teenagers as they were cheap and widely available.

This trend lasted at least until 2010-2011 when Vespas became a luxury item, mostly wanted by foreign collectors or amateurs.
My brother, 8 years younger than me, rode the same Vespa I had used from 2013 until it proved to be unreliable and sold it for a preposterously high amount of money to a guy from Albania (or Greece). He was one of the last youngsters riding a Vespa, though.

My grandparents were farmers and lived in a large countryhouse. Just a few meters away from it, a mechanic had bought some land and built a sort of deposit/workshop. He had stuffed hundreds of motorcycles of any eras inside, that he would modify and experiment with during his spare time. There was a room entirely full of Piaggio models, from the early 20s to the 70s (most of them almost eaten by rot). And he would search demolition deposits and dumps for new pieces regularly.
He was most surely one of the sources of cheap cycles for teenagers in the area. I was very close to him and had the occasion to see him at work many times during my childhood.
It was somewhat heartbreaking, when he died, to see his collection being basically stolen by his "friends".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.