Friends who are trad

LoneSuitinDTW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
While we all have our love and dedication to the trad style, I'm wondering if anyone has friends (beyond this forum) who are just as trad as they are. There's not a lot of trad where I am, and while I have friends who wear khakis or the occasional oxford shirt, I don't have any friends who I could really categorize as trad.

Piscator

I have a couple of co-worker friends who, while not adhering to any kind of trad "rules" that one could come to expect, certainly dress with an aesthetic that is both simple and polished. Those people inspire me, even though they don't wear Aldens :) If they did, that would be even better.

Other than that, though, I find that most people just don't care. Good for them, but I can't NOT care about my appearance.

Jack1425

While we all have our love and dedication to the trad style, I'm wondering if anyone has friends (beyond this forum) who are just as trad as they are. There's not a lot of trad where I am, and while I have friends who wear khakis or the occasional oxford shirt, I don't have any friends who I could really categorize as trad.

Now that you put my mind to it, I cannot say that any of my friends (outside of this forum) are Trad on purpose. Perhaps 'Tradly' by accident as you say with the occasional oxford and chino from time to time. I am noticing a rather interesting dynamic though. When meeting out for dinner or drinks at the pub, some of my friends have started to dress better. I'm not going to say trad, but better.

fishertw

Elite Member
Only one around

I believe that I am at least one of only a few, if not the only, person in our area who makes conscious spending decisions about clothing as to how well it fits a "traditional" mold.
While I do not always follow the exact "party line", I do at least recognize it, and am conscious of what I select to purchase and wear. I believe we are a dying breed.
Tom

Tucker

I had a few, but none now.

One of them decided that he was gay and now buys clothing from the International Male catalog and A&F. The other was my size (45R, sometimes hard to find) so I killed him and stole his clothes.

LoneSuitinDTW

One of them decided that he was gay and now buys clothing from the International Male catalog and A&F. The other was my size (45R, sometimes hard to find) so I killed him and stole his clothes.

What a stroke of good luck for you! I hope he wore the same size shoe you did too! :icon_smile_wink:

nolan50410

Hopefully you didn't stain any of his clothes in the process.

LoneSuitinDTW

Same size, but he was an Allen-Edmonds man and I have always preferred Alden. A shame.

LOL well, maybe you could have asked him to share his stuff with you instead of offing him. It would have been a less felonious situation with probably a lot less effort :icon_smile:

stant62

Even though I'm located where Trad supposedly had its roots (Boston)... people dress terribly here! Especially the shoe selection, it is simply shocking!

Ron_A

Interesting thread. Many of my friends dress what commonly would be described as "preppy", not trad as defined on this forum (3/2 sack suits, flat-front suit pants, etc.). Most of the trad men who I see are older guys -- and by that I mean over the age of 60 (no offense to anyone on this forum) -- walking in the Loop/Financial District or at a private club that I occasionally frequent. Several older partners at my firm dress conservatively -- repp ties and tassel loafers -- but don't wear sack suits (I guess that I typically fall into this category). Many of my good friends have no fashion sense at all and are dressed by their wives, which means "Amjack" (or whatever you call it) -- square-toed shoes, designer jeans, latest fashion etc.

TMMKC

Honors Member
Interesting thread. Of the friends and acquaintences I grew up with (many of whom I still keep in touch with) and my current business contacts, I would say about a little north of 50 percent are what you would describe as "trad."

This whole trad issue gets a bit confusing at times because we tend to confuse the dress with the attitude. I know plenty of people who are trad in attitude and education but do not necessarily dress that way...and vice versa. Hell, over the years, I too have allowed several non-trad clothing items to creep into my wardrobe...but I know how to blend them with classic elements to make it work.

Joe Beamish

Elite Member
I'm not totally sure what the trad attitude is, but I have a general idea.

For me it's about the clothes first. I'm just a Kansas boy who didn't go to a prep school, or law school, and I work in the crummy field of advertising.

I'm essentially an outsider ("alternative"?), always was -- and so not "trad" in that sense.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange