eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
It is understandable that the distinguished gentleman in the museum sees himself in the picture of the adventurer cresting the mountains summit, surveying the view and contemplating his achievement. In our mind's eye, don't we all tend to see ourselves in a somewhat idealized sense? My present day mental image of myself is as a somewhat brash, athletically, figured Second Lieutenant who saw the world in starkly contrasted black and white, sure of himself and with all (or perhaps just most of) the answers, but them I pass by a mirror and am forced to realize ...it is naught but a fading memory! ;)

BillC

It is understandable that the distinguished gentleman in the museum sees himself in the picture of the adventurer cresting the mountains summit, surveying the view and contemplating his achievement. In our mind's eye, don't we all tend to see ourselves in a somewhat idealized sense? My present day mental image of myself is as a somewhat brash, athletically, figured Second Lieutenant who saw the world in starkly contrasted black and white, sure of himself and with all (or perhaps just most of) the answers, but them I pass by a mirror and am forced to realize ...it is naught but a fading memory! ;)
I am reminded of my father telling me when he was 80, "I don't feel old, but when I look in a mirror, I look old."

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I always joke with my girlfriend that everyone I know thinks they look good for their age / younger than they are. Of course, it is tautologically impossible for all of us to feel that way.

Steve Smith

I don't endorse the movie Act of Valor, but I love this quote.

"Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous."

TKI67

For the Trad types, there is a specific geezer garb in warmer months. It includes an olive poplin suit, a blue OCBD, a trad tie of most any sort, bluchers like Quoddy Maliseets, a bucket hat, and the option of a cane. I am more or less there. I am unsure as to cold weather geezer garb. What say ye?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals