David J. Cooper

Having had Asian friends almost my whole life, I found Dr Seuss to be troubling at a very young age.

As an adult I found that one of my very close friends spent his childhood in an Internment Camp and then poverty because of our Canadian Government’s fear of Asians. I can’t help but think that Seuss‘s humour wouldn’t have made his childhood easier.

Violence against Asian people is still a thing even in Vancouver sadly.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Having had Asian friends almost my whole life, I found Dr Seuss to be troubling at a very young age.

As an adult I found that one of my very close friends spent his childhood in an Internment Camp and then poverty because of our Canadian Government’s fear of Asians. I can’t help but think that Seuss‘s humour wouldn’t have made his childhood easier.

Violence against Asian people is still a thing even in Vancouver sadly.
Your post saddens me, but in a good way, I think. Over a great many years I read the Dr Seuss books to our kids and then to our Grand kids and I never realized the pain that they might be causing others. Your post enlightened me regarding the subject and I do appreciate that. In this country the words and actions of our former President seem to have ignited an ever increasing number of hostile acts on Asian Americans. This saddens me to, as well as embarrasses me...I thought we were better than that! :(

Gurdon

Your post saddens me, but in a good way, I think. Over a great many years I read the Dr Seuss books to our kids and then to our Grand kids and I never realized the pain that they might be causing others. Your post enlightened me regarding the subject and I do appreciate that. In this country the words and actions of our former President seem to have ignited an ever increasing number of hostile acts on Asian Americans. This saddens me to, as well as embarrasses me...I thought we were better than that! :(
Eagle, Thank you for making this point.

Tiger

Advanced Member
In the United States, the assaults against Asians and Asian Americans have been disproportionally committed by African Americans. I hardly think that this is Trump-inspired behavior - do Trump's words magically resonate with that demographic group but not others? This is ludicrous. Even if so, why wouldn't we hold those culpable for the attacks responsible, rather than blaming Trump? My political sentiments lie with politicians such as Thomas Massie and Rand Paul (more so his dad, actually) and not Trump, but the Trump-blaming has become a form of irrationality.

Maybe we should hold all of those who blame "white people" for the ills of the world responsible for every assault against white people...or does the blame game somehow not apply under those circumstances?

The abdication of personal behavior and responsibility has been a ruinous force in the United States, and I'm appalled by all of this nonsense.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Regardless of who it is that sits in the Oval Office, that person has the 'bully pulpit' and they are listened to by many. All those times the former President referred to "that Asian virus or Kung Flu, etc." he was heard by so many and his incriminating words did have an impact. To think otherwise is naive at best and misleading at it's worst. However, I do agree with your conclusions pertaining to the abdication of personal responsibility. ;)

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Regardless of who it is that sits in the Oval Office, that person has the 'bully pulpit' and they are listened to by many. All those times the former President referred to "that Asian virus or Kung Flu, etc." he was heard by so many and his incriminating words did have an impact. To think otherwise is naive at best and misleading at it's worst. However, I do agree with your conclusions pertaining to the abdication of personal responsibility. ;)
Trump would have been better off using the term "ChiCom virus" since the Chinese Communist government was his real target. but verbal precision was never his strong suit. I agree with Tiger though that the impact of his language on either prejudice or hate crimes was probably miniscule. All the Trump supporters I know, including quite a few Asians, knew exactly whom he was targeting.

Trump's language likely did have an impact, but it is doubtful that that impact involved hate crimes in any meaningful way. Instead, the impact was to foster distrust of the Chinese government and its role in connection with the virus. Whether that distrust was appropriate or disordered is a separate question.

Last edited:

Tiger

Advanced Member
Not once have I heard anyone disparage the Chinese people specifically or the Asian community in general. Nor have the crimes committed against Asians been perpetrated by a large and diversified swath of the public, as one would rationally assume a president's utterances would have if they were as impactful as you indicate.

But what would someone as naive and misleading as I am know about such things? (Note: Aren't you the one who attacked me for supposedly disparaging you re: your knowledge of U.S. history? I guess only you have the power and right to insult!)

smmrfld

Not once have I heard anyone disparage the Chinese people specifically or the Asian community in general. Nor have the crimes committed against Asians been perpetrated by a large and diversified swath of the public, as one would rationally assume a president's utterances would have if they were as impactful as you indicate.
If you truly believe this, you should try to get out more and see what's going on in the real world rather than just your online or TV bubble...you may learn something. Your increasingly unhinged posts don't reflect well on you at all.

Tiger

Advanced Member
If you truly believe this, you should try to get out more and see what's going on in the real world rather than just your online or TV bubble...you may learn something. Your increasingly unhinged posts don't reflect well on you at all.
The comment was meant in the context of COVID-19 and related blame for it. Perhaps you travel in circles that include anti-Asian fanatics, but I don't.

I imagine anything that deviates from your ridiculous left wing ideology must seem"unhinged." I notice - as always with you - there's an attack but never evidence to support what you write. Fortunately, not all of us ascribe to the cultural Marxism of the Frankfurt School...

smmrfld

The comment was meant in the context of COVID-19 and related blame for it. Perhaps you travel in circles that include anti-Asian fanatics, but I don't.

I imagine anything that deviates from your ridiculous left wing ideology must seem"unhinged." I notice - as always with you - there's an attack but never evidence to support what you write. Fortunately, not all of us ascribe to the cultural Marxism of the Frankfurt School...
Oh come on, Bro...you just phoned in that reply. I’m shocked you didn’t trot out your Mother Jones trope...that chestnut never gets old!

RogerP

Connoisseur
Very well said my friend.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.