Gentlemen Never Go Out of Style

silverporsche

I've been down this road. 'silverporsche' tries to bring his hip hop statement into every thread he posts in.

Times were different , to compare the cuture of today with that of 40 years ago is not fair ,
our values have changed through out the years.

Hip hop is a culture that glorifies the slums ! in many cases it glorifies poor language , and attacks traditional American values.

Generally the forum Ask Andy supports tradtiional dress for men. Hip hop does have exceptions , but they are exceptions, proper dress is not normal hip-hop attaire.

There is in my opinion no place for the actions of many hip hop performers, dress is only
one. I think the hip hop culture has had a negative effect on our young males , especially
young black males.

Many young black males and whites males are not reared to be a gentleman !, especially
those that embrace the hip-hop culture.

KenR

Elite Member
For whatever reason, I think this is one of the best threads we've had in a while. Love the debate. Noel, excellent sentiments.

Brodirt

Sorry Brodirt, your conclusions are flawed. While the players, by their actions, may have taught their team owner a lesson, it was their fans that they cheated...the same can be said regarding today's players, choosing to use performance enhancing drugs. In the end, it is the fans that they are ultimately cheating, in addition to discrediting the game. Bottom line...cheating is cheating is cheating! ;)

Eagle...while I agree that cheating is cheating, if you look at the attendance numbers for MLB in 1919 and then in 1920 you will find attendance improved by 50% in 1920 from 6.5 mil to 9.6 mil. Now, you can argue that much of that increase was due to the Yankees purchase of Babe Ruth from the Red Sox as the Yankees gate alone doubled from about 600k in 1919 to 1.3mil in 1920, but Comiskey park went from about 500k to 800k in 1920, and Crosley field, home of the Reds, the benefactors of the thrown series, saw only a minor increase in attendance.

Maybe it was just the relief of being another year removed from WWI, but I think the well dressed men in the stands understood the "scandal" for what it was...a popular mutiny, and not the cheating of the fans that we have going on today.

How is that for digression? Anyway, here are the "bad guys" and their well dressed fans, as a reminder of what we are talking about:

Oh, and how 'bout that Babe, as well?
460_Babe_Ruth.jpg

Jovan

Honors Member
Times were different , to compare the cuture of today with that of 40 years ago is not fair ,
our values have changed through out the years.

Hip hop is a culture that glorifies the slums ! in many cases it glorifies poor language , and attacks traditional American values.

Generally the forum Ask Andy supports tradtiional dress for men. Hip hop does have exceptions , but they are exceptions, proper dress is not normal hip-hop attaire.

There is in my opinion no place for the actions of many hip hop performers, dress is only
one. I think the hip hop culture has had a negative effect on our young males , especially
young black males.

Many young black males and whites males are not reared to be a gentleman !, especially
those that embrace the hip-hop culture.
Let us also blame video games for violent crimes.

woodenchair

Self-assured and confident men will dress any way that they please; and when standards begin to fall, the blame should be on them, for setting the wrong standard, and not the sheep, for they always follow the self-assured man's example.

Are there less self-assured and confident men today?

Or Do we live in a society of different values than the 1930's? Is a young, confident man's life in general more concerned with sensual activities than cultivated activities today than yesterday?

It is harder today to make a statement such as 'The man who uses profanity in the drawing room forever abandons his claim to good breeding'. Do most of us know Latin and Greek? Can we diagram sentences? Can we write in cursive? Do we know the proper letter forms? Can we sew, knit, wash clothes by hand, start campfires, identify wild foods? Have we read Homer, Virgil, Dante, Milton, the Bible?

The popular idea today is pleasure for the senses more than a cultivation of the self. And without government and role models urging men to the latter, it is clear from today's world that they will always choose the former.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
Self-assured and confident men will dress any way that they please; and when standards begin to fall, the blame should be on them, for setting the wrong standard, and not the sheep, for they always follow the self-assured man's example.

Why is it that so many here refer to men in suits with terms like "self assured" and "confident" while men who wear khakis and polo shirts are "sheep". That's such a bunch of hogwash.

Wear a toga to work. Then you can say that you aren't a sheep. Otherwise, you are just running in different herds. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

silverporsche

Let us also blame video games for violent crimes.

Violent video games is certainly not an asset. Video games has very little to do with dress
and a gentleman. Hip hop does.

What does "Gentleman Never Go out of Style " have to do with video games.
Would a gentleman's dress differ from the dress of the majority of those who embrace
the hip hop culture ? , and does the hip hop subculture reinforce a gentleman's
culture ?, are is hip hop anti-culture ? Anti-gentleman's culture ?

Psmith

Starting Member
This seems as good a place as any for a first post...

On the note of men who dress to a far lower standard as compared to the women they accompany- I recently attended the opera, in seats sold cheaply ($20) to those under 30, and near me was a man who seemed to think black jeans, an un-tucked button down shirt (vibrant red) and trainers were a good match for a long, well fitted red dress. That said, this is a far lesser offense than that of another person who carried out a conversation on her cell phone during the overture.

kkollwitz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
"...black jeans, an un-tucked button down shirt (vibrant red) and trainers were a good match for a long, well fitted red dress."

Poor woman in the red dress....

Jovan

Honors Member
Violent video games is certainly not an asset. Video games has very little to do with dress
and a gentleman. Hip hop does.

What does "Gentleman Never Go out of Style " have to do with video games.
Would a gentleman's dress differ from the dress of the majority of those who embrace
the hip hop culture ? , and does the hip hop subculture reinforce a gentleman's
culture ?, are is hip hop anti-culture ? Anti-gentleman's culture ?
If it wasn't plain enough, I'm saying that blaming everything that's wrong on hip-hop is no better than blaming violence on video games.

In addition, I find less and less guys dressing in baggy jeans and t-shirts every day. So, certainly the gentlemen me and JibranK have pointed out DO exist in hip-hop are having an effect. Sure, I don't see more guys in tailored suits, but they at least wear clothes that fit them.

Last edited:

silverporsche

If it wasn't plain enough, I'm saying that blaming everything that's wrong on hip-hop is no better than blaming violence on video games.

In addition, I find less and less guys dressing in baggy jeans and t-shirts every day. So, certainly the gentlemen me and JibranK have pointed out DO exist in hip-hop are having an effect. Sure, I don't see more guys in tailored suits, but they at least wear clothes that fit them.
You must read my post sir again . Hip hop is a subculture , I never blamed everything on anything. Hip hop has had a negative effect on especially young black males. Dress is one of the negative effects. I could go into other effects, but this forum is about men clothing.

I don't think the normal dress of those supporters of hip hop is traditional dress. Most gentleman dress traditionally. In your post you speak of the lesser of evils.
WHY NOT TAILORED SUITS IF ONE CAN AFFORD THEM.

Blueboy1938

Elite Member
Hip-Hop is indeed a sub-culture, and it has been around since the '70s, apparently. Rap is a sub-genre of that, and "Gangsta-Rap" subs that.

It seems to me that Gangsta-Rap has given a bad name to the whole lot, which may be influencing some of the more negative comments toward the influences emanating from these several sources.

Overall, I'd say that Hip-Hop has had a generally positive influence. It has given many a positive feeling of self-empowerment. Whether one likes the styles or not, young people can identify with its various manifestations. Rap has had some negative influence, granted, but the Sean Johns and others that have emerged appear to be setting much more positive role models, and even fashion models, which i believe will continue to pave the way for aspirations to better oneself to gain the good life those models promote.

landonew

Starting Member
Why is it that so many here refer to men in suits with terms like "self assured" and "confident" while men who wear khakis and polo shirts are "sheep". That's such a bunch of hogwash.

Wear a toga to work. Then you can say that you aren't a sheep. Otherwise, you are just running in different herds. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

I have come to enjoy your posts.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange