cactiman

Is there a trick to it? as I wore one for the 1st time last night, with a 3 point fold, and it kept slipping down into the pocket.

pkprd869

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Sounds like your square is not big enough for your pocket. Each square and pocket are different but don't fret. I take a white cotton hankie and use it as a filler then put in the pocket square. No one knows the difference.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
It's an art, not a science.

Pockets differ (esp. as to depth) and so do squares.

It's all about trial and error.

For nearly each one of my suits, blazers, and odd jackets, I have a carefully custom-folded (by me) square (a simple white-cotton hankie is my favorite) that lives in an inside chest pocket when the garment is not being worn. If I'm going to wear the jacket, it's just a matter of moving the hankie into the outside breast pocket to which it has been painstakingly calibrated and in which it will stay in proper position.

Salvatore123

Different method for different squares

For linen and cotton squares, always prefold a set so that you will have what you want, ready to use, depending on occasion or mood: TV fold, triagle, angled, two triangles, three triangles, etc. Then, IRON them using starch. Keep them in a drawer (to prevent from collecting dust) and pull out whichever one you want. Do NOT set iron too high, as it could ruin the square by turning it yellow or brown (burning the starch).

For silk, you really can't prefold a square. Silk squares are almost always worn by laying them flat, pinching the middle of the square, grabbing it with your other hand about 3 or 4 inches below where you pinched, folding the dangling ends upward, and then stuffing into your coat pocket so that you get the rounded part of the middle of the square, and also the edges of the ends (which usually have a border-design that helps set it off from the middle part/design).

Of course, remember the universal rule: when it doubt, always go for white linen. It matches everything.

Sean1982

Is it not just a case of lengthening the hankie, by taking some of the folded over material at the botton, and making the fold lower. Therfore the material will go to the bottom of the pocket (insert with a letter opener or butter knife). My pockets are different depths, and just require a simple adjustment of the fold, which has nothing to do with the material on show.

Last edited:
Sounds like your square is not big enough for your pocket. Each square and pocket are different but don't fret. I take a white cotton hankie and use it as a filler then put in the pocket square. No one knows the difference.
One could use a safety pin to keep the square in place, but as there are no safety pins in my house, probably because there are no women in my house, I use the same method that you do.

Another annoyance is when the pocket is too small. The only solution to this that I have found is to no longer have patch breast pockets on my blazers.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
For silk, you really can't prefold a square.
I must beg to differ. Yes, you can indeed prefold silk squares. I've got a shoebox full, albeit I wear them much less frequently than I wear my white-cotton ones.

When it comes to silk squares, I favor mostly the "sail" or "triangle-sticking-up" fold, but I also have some done in the more rectilinear manner illustrated in Bernhard Roetzel's book Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion.

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
For linen and cotton squares, always prefold a set so that you will have what you want, ready to use, depending on occasion or mood: TV fold, triagle, angled, two triangles, three triangles, etc. Then, IRON them using starch. Keep them in a drawer (to prevent from collecting dust) and pull out whichever one you want. Do NOT set iron too high, as it could ruin the square by turning it yellow or brown (burning the starch).

For silk, you really can't prefold a square. Silk squares are almost always worn by laying them flat, pinching the middle of the square, grabbing it with your other hand about 3 or 4 inches below where you pinched, folding the dangling ends upward, and then stuffing into your coat pocket so that you get the rounded part of the middle of the square, and also the edges of the ends (which usually have a border-design that helps set it off from the middle part/design).

Of course, remember the universal rule: when it doubt, always go for white linen. It matches everything.
I think this is great advice. To keep my pre-folded linen looking great I store them in a ziplock bag in a drawer. (that way they're never stained with the slightest lint, Irish penance, etc.)

cdavant

Advanced Member
I find the easiest solution is to carry 3 handkerchiefs. "One for show, one for blow, and one to stuff" in the jacket breast pocket to keep the one for show showing.

cactiman

sean1982 said:
Is it not just a case of lengthening the hankie, by taking some of the folded over material at the botton, and making the fold lower. Therfore the material will go to the bottom of the pocket
No, the pocet was too deep so even without folding the material at the bottom it fitted wholly within the pocket.

I think I'm going to go with this method in future, though I'll use a ruler to insert the pocket square from now on. I think having pre-folded squares for individual jackets may be going too far as I won't know ahead of time which tie/pocket square/cufflinks etc I want to wear with which suit/shirt.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
No, the pocet was too deep so even without folding the material at the bottom it fitted wholly within the pocket.

I think I'm going to go with this method in future, though I'll use a ruler to insert the pocket square from now on. I think having pre-folded squares for individual jackets may be going too far as I won't know ahead of time which tie/pocket square/cufflinks etc I want to wear with which suit/shirt.
Getting all matchy-matchy with the tie and square (to say nothing of the links) is a sartorial faux pas. It looks too studied, like you are trying too hard.

Rick Blaine

Holy thread revival Batman!

I have been scouring thread archives for days to figure out a solution on this problem as well. Starch is definitely a solution for giving my linen PS/handkerchief good form but how does it help with slippage?

Anyone used the method of having a "filler" in the pocket incase of deep-er breast pockets?

G

Guest-781734

Its a bit of a cheap lazy trick but you could just foldup a piece a paper and stick it in the bottom to stop the square falling.

Rosarito

Starting Member
Some may scoff but, two days ago, I ordered something called the Squareguard which is a plastic insert that supposedly solves this problem. I haven’t received it yet but I’ll let you know how it goes when I try it.

Edit: whoops, just realized this was a twice revived thread!

Last edited:

Matt S

Connoisseur
If my pocket square is giving me trouble, I just cut a piece of cardboard to size and fold the pocket square around it. Pockets can be different widths and depths. Handkerchiefs come in all sizes, and there’s no one ideal size. No solution will always work.

never behind

This is what I do, save I’ve used a tissue as filler. Works very well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.