God Save the Children!!!

Alexander Kabbaz

Tech and Business Advice Guru
bwep - Well, Thomas isn't Thomas without Thomas ... but Tucker's favorite color is green so I'd have to go with Percy.

Thank you Miss Jill. ;)

Originally Posted by Teacher
My mom wanted to be Penny more than anything.
Luckily for you she wasn't or I'd have been real busy trying to be your father! :devil:

EL72

Calling all Engines!!

Thank you for that Alex; and for all your usual insights and humour. Congratulations on another milestone and hope to read another 3,000 more.

I have often had similar thoughts regarding Topham Hatt and the others in the series. My three year old Noam is crazy for Thomas and friends. He knows most books and videos by heart.

A funny (and sort of scary) story happened a few weeks ago to us because of his Thomas obsession. He was pretending to be James (the splendid and vain red engine) and we went to Niagara falls with my sister in law's family for the day while they were visiting Toronto. He likes to assign everyone a character so I was Henry and my wife Gordon. We crossed the peace bridge to the US side for a stroll and did not have any travel documents or ID for Noam or our 15 month old daughter. Upon re-entering Canada, the customs and immigration official was not pleased we lacked proper ID for the kids and wanted to interrogate Noam.

Sure enough, he says that his name is James and that I was Henry and the woman with him is named Gordon. We thought this was quite amusing but the official did not. She kept asking him who his mother and father were but he was in character and kept insisting he was James and I was Henry and his mom Gordon. This lasted for a while as we tried to make get him to say the truth and the official was by then suggesting that we could not take these children as we were without proper ID and the child was not identifying us. Only after grasping the seriousness of the situation and being told that he would have to stay there with the lady if he did not tell the truth did Noam finally relent and grudgingly point to his father and mother and say our real names. He was not happy to end his game. We were rightfully admonished by the agent for travelling without the kids' ID and left with a lesson and funny story to tell.

EL

Mr. Knightly

Alex, I'm afraid that my televised sartorial education wasn't nearly so wholesome. I saw my first Bond film (You Only Live Twice) with my father at the tender age of 6. My mother was furious when she found out. In retrospect, I was fascinated by the outfits and everything questionable went right over my head, so I guess it was all for the best.

Too bad Thomas wasn't on when I was a lad. I trust you pointed out the relevant details?

Alexander Kabbaz

Ouch! Well, my first Bonds - all 12 of them IIRC, were the Ian Fleming books. Except for the cover they had no pictures. There were no movies yet. :cry:

On a brighter note, I've just found some more great Thomas clothing pictures and shall try to scan them tomorrow. Hopefully by later this year we'll be introducing the Kabbaz-Kelly line of Thomas the Train bespoke clothing. :icon_smile:

Mr. Knightly said:
Alex, I'm afraid that my televised sartorial education wasn't nearly so wholesome. I saw my first Bond film (You Only Live Twice) with my father at the tender age of 6. My mother was furious when she found out. In retrospect, I was fascinated by the outfits and everything questionable went right over my head, so I guess it was all for the best.

Too bad Thomas wasn't on when I was a lad. I trust you pointed out the relevant details?

Clovis

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
God Save The Children

You have such wonderful insight and vision and coupled with an ability to express it so eloquently in writing. Your posts are a joy to read. I had all but forgotten about Sky King and Howdy Doody (I may have to buy some Maypo). Thanks for restoring that to my conscious memory, it is somehow very comforting to recall those early imprints from my childhood.

Alexander Kabbaz

Clovis said:
You have such wonderful insight and vision and coupled with an ability to express it so eloquently in writing. Your posts are a joy to read. I had all but forgotten about Sky King and Howdy Doody (I may have to buy some Maypo). Thanks for restoring that to my conscious memory, it is somehow very comforting to recall those early imprints from my childhood.
Did you ever wonder whatever happened to Markie Maypo? Thank you for the kindness of your words. We must be making the not yet fifty-somethings bored to tears with what they must perceive as ancient history, no? Back to the original purpose ... more clothing pictures to come.

Alexander Kabbaz

The Elsbridge Fall Festival with Highlights of the Clothes

Y'all better be nice to me or I'll start another one about Bob The Builder! :devil:

mpcsb

Inactive User
Welcome AK

AK, welcome to the ranks of those who believe it's never too late to have a happy childhood. Second time around's a charm, ain't it?

Cheers and all best wishes to a good guy - Mr. AK !!!

Eskie

Congratulations, and my thanks for your information and opinions in your posts. I've learned quite a bit from them.

Yellman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Alexander Kabbaz said:
Or ... Kabbaz Really goes off the Deep End This Time

What the heck does being a bespoke shirtmaker have to do with God; much less with Saving the Children?

Interesting comment, but let's get a little closer to the concept. Have you passed on your views to your own children? You have accumulated an enormous amount of highly specialized knowledge for your field. Will this be passed on the several people by way of an apprentice or something similar?

Alexander Kabbaz

mpcsb said:
AK, welcome to the ranks of those who believe it's never too late to have a happy childhood. Second time around's a charm, ain't it?
I prefer to think I'm still in the first childhood. You know the saying: Girls become women; Men will always remain boys. (I know, I know, it's time to duck.)
Yellman said:
What the heck does being a bespoke shirtmaker have to do with God; much less with Saving the Children?
Interesting comment, but let's get a little closer to the concept. Have you passed on your views to your own children? You have accumulated an enormous amount of highly specialized knowledge for your field. Will this be passed on the several people by way of an apprentice or something similar?
Values to my own children? Of course. What parent would not?

An apprentice? I have tried a number of times. The first one, who was with me for seven years, unfortunately passed away. In the time since, I have taught many of my somewhat unique techniques to other shirtmakers around the U.S. Presently, I have been working for a few years now with a young fellow who is in the process of building his own shirtmaking business. Finally, by the time each of my children reaches majority, he will know how to make a shirt. Whether any choose to do so it not a decision for me to make.

From a larger perspective, I have begun laying the foundation for establishing a school for shirtmakers and tailors here in the U.S. This is a difficult row to hoe as:
  • The "needle trades" are virtually a dead industry here
  • There are not many young folks interested in taking up the needle (well, at least this kind of needle)
  • Approaching those with the capital to fund such a venture is not so viable if your mission isn't genetics or microprocessors.
It is actually one of my hopes that these fora will, over time, foster a sufficient resurgence of interest in this area as to make such a school possible in my lifetime.

And if you know someone wanting to be a bespoke shirtmaking apprentice or a 'sugar daddy' to a domestic bespoke clothing school ... bring 'em on!

Charley

The clothing is appropriate for the Era of Trains. The cartoon is simply being historically correct in depecting the trains and the dress of the people who were involved with using the trains.

Not particularly different from showing people in western wear when the story is set in 1880 Oklahoma.

Alexander Kabbaz

I agree with you completely but ...

Charley said:
The clothing is appropriate for the Era of Trains. The cartoon is simply being historically correct in depecting the trains and the dress of the people who were involved with using the trains.

Not particularly different from showing people in western wear when the story is set in 1880 Oklahoma.
the important point I am endeavoring to note here is not that the period dress is correct, but that due to the present popularity of the Thomas series it is hopefully having a strong (and beneficial) influence on the current generation of youngsters.

Trenditional

Alex,
Your insight and wit on a particular matter is always enjoyable to read. I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have known who Sir Toppum Hat was, before your post. I will say this, like me find another channel other than Sprout.

=)
Paul

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange