smmrfld

I find it curious that you find it preferable to reach into your pocket, push the button to activate the phone, read the time, and put it back in your pocket rather than simply glancing at a readily visible item you already own. Add to that that I dislike carrying a phone. If you find this to be cosplaying I am also curious as to what it might be that attracts you to a Trad forum. Are wearing LHS or cuffed pants cosplaying?
Your dislike of carrying a phone is simply not a reality for most of us in 2021. And while I like and adopt certain elements of trad dress, I find some of these posts to be borderline fetishism. To put it another way, it ain't all or nothin'.

Howard

Connoisseur
I used to wear a watch many years ago but I stopped wearing one because it made my wrist irritated so I stopped and I'm just looking at my cell phone for the time.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I find it curious that you find it preferable to reach into your pocket, push the button to activate the phone, read the time, and put it back in your pocket rather than simply glancing at a readily visible item you already own. Add to that that I dislike carrying a phone. If you find this to be cosplaying I am also curious as to what it might be that attracts you to a Trad forum. Are wearing LHS or cuffed pants cosplaying?
Well put, my friend. You stated my views on this subject almost exactly! As for an Iphone, I would add that to me they are a distinct annoyance and I suspect also a very real threat to our abilities to effectively interact with other people, including many members of my own family! :angry:

Mathematicus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think there are places for everything. I, for example, only read books from my mobile phone but I rarely carry it in my trousers' pockets. It stays in my outergarments pockets during commute (in summer I usually shove it in my briefcase). When I arrive at the office, I leave it on the corner of my desk and check it only at lunchtime (when my wife usually calls me).

But constantly checking your phone for the time is, in my opinion, rude if you are meeting with others - it looks like you are craving to leave!

Discreet looks at your watch can easily pass unnoticed.

Heavens, how I miss going to the office!

Cassadine

Another example of trad as cosplay, IMO. A watch is now useless for many, so why wear one if you don’t need it...unless it’s merely for decoration.
So are pocket squares, tassels on loafers, and any type of pattern on a shirt (plain white/ecru matches anything), or argyle socks. "Decoration" is the reason behind much of this hobby; if it wasn't then it wouldn't be what is it.

challer

I've gone watchless for about two years now (after having worn my Rolex Sea-Dweller daily for 25 years).

It's *possible* that Santa might bring me an Apple Watch (she thinks I have poor sleep quality, and should monitor it... as though I would wear a watch to bed? Do people do that?)

HOWEVER... I have recently discovered the Zenith "Defy" movement, which is the world's most accurate mechanical watch movement (by a lot, to quote a contentious figure). I am also a sucker for clever engineering and precision craftsmanship. Color me tempted.

It's the least "trad" watch ever (it even comes in a carbon fiber case, among other unusual materials), which is probably why Zenith has never been discussed here but... hmmm.

DH
Well, I keep my Rolex for jewelry. I do wear an Apple watch to track sleep; the new one with SpO2 monitoring provides a lot of insight, for me in any case.

Troones

I have a couple of watches that I rarely wear, especially in these locked down times. One was a gift from my wife. An ultra slim, very plain but attractive looking Daniel Wellington watch with brown leather strap. Its one of the only watches that I ever had that did not interfere with my shirt cuffs.

However, I've never really enjoyed wearing watches, and getting dressed in the morning, I would need to consciously reach for it and often forgot it.

some_dude

I've worn my Rolex Datejust for 32 years now (bought it used from one of my older brothers). No plans to stop. I wear an Oura ring on the other hand for fitness tracking, so I'm not a total luddite.

When the Rolex goes in for service, I have a Seiko 5 which takes its place.

eagle2250

Has anyone ever gotten a rash after wearing their watches?
If your watch band doesn't breath and you are operating in a hot/humid environment, you are going to get a rash on your wrist...and perhaps other locations on your body, but you can't blame those spots on your watch! LOL. ;)

PS: Mrs Eagle regularly soaks the rubber wristband from my Apple #4 watch over night in a bowl of Mr. Clean All Purpose Cleaner and I have never suffered a rash on my wrist. Let the record show that when putting in my road miles, I sweat like a pig! Nuff said!

GregorSamsa

I think the point made about giving your watch a glance at to check the time being far easier than taking out a phone is a bit off, especially for people who grew up using smart phones. I am not arguing for or against the habit, but people are constantly checking their phones and one glance tells you much more than just the time. The act of pulling it out and looking at it is like a reflex for many, and I'd imagine those people would have a harder time checking a watch at this point.

Before covid I wore a watch every day. I kept it up in the beginning, but at this point I rarely find myself putting one on unless I am leaving the house for a walk and intentionally leave my phone behind. I love watches, have a small collection, and still plan to invest in more. I like them as objects and enjoy the history and design behind them much more than their functionality.

TKI67

Elite Member
I think the point made about giving your watch a glance at to check the time being far easier than taking out a phone is a bit off, especially for people who grew up using smart phones. I am not arguing for or against the habit, but people are constantly checking their phones and one glance tells you much more than just the time. The act of pulling it out and looking at it is like a reflex for many, and I'd imagine those people would have a harder time checking a watch at this point.

Before covid I wore a watch every day. I kept it up in the beginning, but at this point I rarely find myself putting one on unless I am leaving the house for a walk and intentionally leave my phone behind. I love watches, have a small collection, and still plan to invest in more. I like them as objects and enjoy the history and design behind them much more than their functionality.
Yes, if you are reflexively looking at your phone a lot it is easy.

Howard

Connoisseur
Nope. I use a leather strap on my dress watch, and when wearing it I am generally not doing things that would cause a rash. I use nylon straps on my casual watch, nice and soft.

It's like after I took off my watch, it would leave an indentation from where the watch used to be.

some_dude

Has anyone ever gotten a rash after wearing their watches?
Not from my watches with metal bands, but I used to wear a Fitbit before getting the Oura. The rubber band from Fitbit gave me a bit of a rash. Once I got a leather band, it was no issue.

Another plus for the Oura... I admit it isn't very trad, though.

challer

Not from my watches with metal bands, but I used to wear a Fitbit before getting the Oura. The rubber band from Fitbit gave me a bit of a rash. Once I got a leather band, it was no issue.

Another plus for the Oura... I admit it isn't very trad, though.
Interesting. We tested the Oura and found its thickness uncomfortable. It seems to be taking the world storm though.

eagle2250

You are correct. I’ve skipped models historically but one of my current startups is based on #5. Love the Rolex and the A5
I cannot remember a day when I have not had one of three watches strapped to my wrist; my Apple #4 primarily for exercise purposes, my Rolex Air King and TAG Heuer Link Series Professional for all other purposes. Old habits die hard...LOL! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals