GOP Debate Last Night?

Wayfarer

Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
I was sure there was a GOP debate last night. I was busy at work until late and then just had to watch the Heros I had TiVo'ed from Monday night, so did not catch it. So this morning I log onto cnn.com to check out how the debate went. Nothing in the "Top Stories" (I did find out a Bono was bothered by cigarette smoke though!) so I figure it must be down in "Politics". Still no headline about it. So I click the "Politics" link. Finally! There was a debate. However, what little cnn.com had to say about the debate was merely that Rudy did not like what Paul had to say about the ME. That was all I could find!

So for anyone that did watch it, your opinions on the winner(s) are welcome. Also, any thoughts on why Bono's dislike of cigarette smoke wins a top headline when the GOP debate does not, and then the debate itself is not discussed, is also welcomed :)

BertieW

Wayfarer, I read about it on Washington Post and BBC. Not a ton, but decent coverage. I also saw clips (about five minutes worth) on Truthdig.

The limited exposure may have something to do with it being early days yet. I suspect once the field clears there will be more intensive coverage, for better or worse.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Bono sings better than any of the Republican contenders and therefore is more newsworthy, at least to people who have to get an audience to sell their advertising.

We are nothing if not a superficial culture.

Wayfarer

Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
Wayfarer, I read about it on Washington Post and BBC. Not a ton, but decent coverage. I also saw clips (about five minutes worth) on Truthdig.

The limited exposure may have something to do with it being early days yet. I suspect once the field clears there will be more intensive coverage, for better or worse.

Did they call a winner or winners?

BertieW

Did they call a winner or winners?

I didn't really get that impression. The takeway seemed to be that the candidates, while generally more relaxed in this round, went after each other more aggressively than in round one. The point of contention seemed to be who was most conservative and who was faking it. Ron Paul seemed to have the biggest balls of the night, challenging the decision to go to war in Iraq. That gave Rudy a chance to don his "Nation's Mayor" cape and get a few soundbites, but, to my ears at least, it didn't sound that convincing.

As often happens, one of the guys least likely to win the nomination took the most chances.

ksinc

Connoisseur
I like Romney except for his statement about supporting the 2nd Amendment, but also supporting the AWB. I have a real problem with people that don't even know what an AW is. Just a personal issue. It's definitely a deal breaker for me, and I sent them an email this morning asking him to educate himself on the issue.

One of the big distinctions made in the debate that I thought was good was discussing the difference between preventing an attack and handling an attack well. This seems to be the weakness on Giuliani's HS platform.

Tancredo is barely coherent. Ron Paul makes some good points. He's old school conservative a la Pat Buchanan and I like him ok. Some of the more unknown Senators and Governors did well I thought - Brownback and Huckabee. I don't know if they can win.

I sort of like McCain in some ways, but I like about him is when he reminds me of Rummy. I fall hard for the America First & Last rhetoric. On Policy he's a disaster.

I'd like to see Bloomberg and Lieberman run as Indies.

Last edited:

Wayfarer

Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
Speaking of Romney, does anyone else feel he is getting what amounts to religious descrimination from the media? You all know I am godless but I have to tell you, IMO that guy is the target of a media pogrom.

whomewhat

First, the easy part. The reason you cannot find any news about it, especially on CNN, is that the debate was held on FoxNews, exclusively, so naturally CNN and other news networks are not going to give it much coverage.

Ron Paul "seemed to have the biggest balls of the night?" He is an idiot! He does not get what many others just do not seem to get, that is, the Arab conutires hated us before we attacked Iraq just as they hate us after.

In 1991 a small country called Kuwait (anyone remember them) was invaded by Iraq and then Iraq was threatening to go into Saudi Arabia. We went to the defense of little Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (yeah, I know, it was the oil!). The thanks we got? 15 of the hijackers who attacked us on 911 came from Saudi Arabia.

To suggest something we have done or are not doing is what caused the attacks on 911 is insanity and, therefore, makes Ron Paul insane for suggesting it. It was a shameful statement and demonstrates a lack of contact with reality. He is out of there and should be.

Guilliani and Romney faired the best, IMHO. I suspect they will end up as the candiates, one as Pres and the other VP, but it is too early to say which will be which at this point. I sort of feel the same way about the Dems: Hillary and Obama, although I do not think Hillary is humble enough to accept being the VP so she will end up on top.

I do agree that this religion thing is becoming a bit much. I think Romney got it right when he said he is not running to be Pastor in Chief, but Commander in Chief. He looks the most Presidential, seems unfazed by anything anyone says, and articulates his points very well. It is way too early to know where he stands on everything or how he will hold up over the long term of the campaign, so I think Guilliani still has an edge. But if those talking religion had their way, John Kennedy would never have been President, and that would have been a shame.

Excepting the response to the Ron Paul remark, which was a clear winner for Guilliani, I did think overall that Romney faired the best. I started this thing liking McCain, but he just looks and sounds way too old now. The others just appeared to be wishful thinkers and do not seem too serious to me as candidates. I do wonder about the actor, Fred Thompson? I think he might fair very well in these types of debates? Is he out or in?

Last edited:

Wayfarer

Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
First, the easy part. The reason you cannot find any news about it, especially on CNN, is that the debate was held on FoxNews, exclusively, so naturally CNN and other news networks are not going to give it much coverage.

That makes total sense! Thanks for clearing that up.

Excellent point about religion and Kennedy.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
What would have been so bad had Kennedy not been President?

Why do we make heroes out of that family of thugs anyway?

AMVanquish

What would have been so bad had Kennedy not been President?
A whole generation of boomers would not have been inspired to answer the call of public service(sarcastic.)

Well, I wouldn't call JFK a thug, but I do think he's highly overrated. He did handle the missile crisis exceptionally well, though.

But maybe Dick Nixon wouldn't have been so bitter and vindictive if Daley had not stacked the ballot box in Chicago. We could have had the best of the Nixon presidency(diplomacy) without the worst(scandal.)

For those of you who place a premium on accuracy, yes, I realize Illinois alone would not have delivered a Nixon victory in 1960.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
Bono is a jackass...I think Rudy showed that he was by far the strongest candidate...McCain actually lost a few points in my book (maybe I just didnt understand what he meant when he was talking about illegals [seemed to me like he's soft on them])...but the one who surprized me the most was Duncan Hunter from CA...his stance on illegals and support of a wall alone would be enough for me to vote for him...

Overall, a pretty good debate...

Wayfarer

Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
I could be wrong, but I think the original point about Kennedy is this:

The very liberals bashing Romney merely based on his religion, are the very same ones that have crowned JFK as American Royalty when at the time of his election, his Catholicism was scene as a problem by his opponents.

ksinc

Connoisseur
Ron Paul "seemed to have the biggest balls of the night?" He is an idiot! He does not get what many others just do not seem to get, that is, the Arab conutires hated us before we attacked Iraq just as they hate us after.

Excepting the response to the Ron Paul remark, which was a clear winner for Guilliani, I did think overall that Romney faired the best. I started this thing liking McCain, but he just looks and sounds way too old now. The others just appeared to be wishful thinkers and do not seem too serious to me as candidates. I do wonder about the actor, Fred Thompson? I think he might fair very well in these types of debates? Is he out or in?

While Giuliani's remark gets good airplay, both you and him apparently missed Ron Paul's real point. He did not say they only hated us after we attacked Iraq. He said that our actions with Iran since 1953 and Saudi Arabia for the past 40 years have fueled resentment that enables those that would attack us to fuel hatred of us. If you are going to call a man an idiot and criticize his statement you owe it to him to get it right.

IMHO, you should read "A Republic, Not An Empire".

To act like U.S. ME policy has been executed from some type of unreachable/impenetrable island empire is what is insane. Paul was advocating a long standing foreign policy perspective consistent with conservative ideals which is not to get entangled with foreign powers and interests outside of our own.

One only has to look at the history of the U.S. in Iran, then how we supported Saddam against Iran and the current situation we face for a relevant example. We're actually going to Iran now to ask for help in securing Iraq. Insanity at its core.

Last edited:

ksinc

Connoisseur
I could be wrong, but I think the original point about Kennedy is this:

The very liberals bashing Romney merely based on his religion, are the very same ones that have crowned JFK as American Royalty when at the time of his election, his Catholicism was scene as a problem by his opponents.

As a Southern, Scottish/Irish, Protestant Conservative/Libertarian I care more that Romney is incumbent from Mass. than that he is a Mormon.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
As a Southern, Scottish/Irish, Protestant Conservative/Libertarian I care more that Romney is incumbent from Mass. than that he is a Mormon.

I try not to have reservations about this...but I do wonder...what counsequence would it have...how would it look to the rest of the world if the man in charge of our country wasnt allowed to drink coffee/booze (not that he didnt, but wasnt allowed to)...and that he wears "magic underwear" or whatever that's called into the shower etc...I dunno...I wonder sometimes...

...and yeah...I'm not crazy about the fact that he's from Mass. either...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange