John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This seems to be impossible and keep in mind I am not looking for wool or cotton gabardine. I am looking for 100% cotton twill chinos. I almost went the route of having them custom made by Gitman ($180) but now the option for that leads to a 404 page.

I see Ralph Lauren has them in a slim fit but that isn't what I want either. O'Connell's has me covered on everything but. They even have Forest Green and Slate Blue but no (like a) smoke gray.

And then I saw these for a ridiculous $490.

Any ideas? Thanks.

drpeter

I share your concern: Good cotton twills, or even cotton poplins are not easy to find. I have been looking for a summer suit in dove grey 100% cotton (or even a 67/33 cotton/poly blend) and that is virtually impossible to find.

I think you have to widen your search. I have about six or eight grey 100% cotton trousers from Bill's Khakis, picked up on eBay over the years, all of them brand new for an average price of $50. Not sure if these are still available. Mine are mostly relaxed fit, some pleated in the English style, some flat front.

I looked through Bill's and the link below is the closest I could find to a pair of grey slacks (grey does not seem to be part of their vocabulary, they seem to call it mercury). It is 97% cotton, 3% elastane. It is $165. If you can live with that fabric blend, then it might be worth a try. If you hate it, I am sure you can return it for a full refund.

Again, a search through eBay, and some patience, might mean luck. When I was in the market for grey cotton slacks, I searched eBay every day for months to obtain a bunch of them! When I found a seller who had masses of Bill's trousers, I made special requests for these grey cotton slacks, and some of them helped me and set me up with one or two extras.

https://billskhakis.com/collections...tch-sateen-classic-fit?variant=31061163376751

mhj

I got a pair from Lands End recently that I'm very happy with. They are constantly going on sale for I think $40 so keep an eye out.

drpeter

Not sure if they have changed the material for the Hamptons. but if it is the same as a few years ago, then it should be a 100% cotton twill (or drill, if you like) which is on the lighter side as far as weight is concerned. If memory serves, it is rather like a cavalry twill, with a slight ribbed texture -- the twill lines are just a tad pronounced.

Dhaller

Elite Member
I'm a fan of Hiltl chinos. Luxurious hand, good fit, wear well.

If you have a good menswear shop (as in they carry Samuelsohn or Canali, do MTM, that kind of thing) they have a good chance of carrying them; in Atlanta I get them at H. Stockton.

I last paid $225 for them, but I see now they're $245, and Google reveals them to be 40% off here: https://patrickjames.com/SKU/14278/...x?ParentPageID=118&CategoryID=82#.YAWyri1h1Ls

(Not endorsing the linked site - never heard of 'em - but at least you can take a look!)

DH

drpeter

I have a couple of Hiltl poplin slacks, summer-weight, but very nice. Neither of them are grey, however, they are beige. I picked them up on eBay a couple of years ago, for a small sum.

John M

I just wish O'Connell's had a gray non-gab version but oh well. They have every other color so at least there's that.

John M

I have a pair of BB Advantage Chinos in a dark grey. They are pretty decent if you like grey. I rarely wear them so I’m not sure they excite me.
Hmm... you might have found a match for me for the time being. I don't like the fact that it is cotton/stretch mix and would prefer 100% cotton twill like O'Connell's (I don't hate stretch but I have them on some casual pants already) but for something I want to experience with, this may work. Thank you.

Thank you also to everyone for their suggestions. I also hope Jack Donnelly's version is good as well.

TKI67

Elite Member
Hmm... you might have found a match for me for the time being. I don't like the fact that it is cotton/stretch mix and would prefer 100% cotton twill like O'Connell's (I don't hate stretch but I have them on some casual pants already) but for something I want to experience with, this may work. Thank you.

Thank you also to everyone for their suggestions. I also hope Jack Donnelly's version is good as well.
Did you check the Orvis ultimates? They are very comparable in quality to O'Connell's, just not MIUSA. Just cotton.

John M

Did you check the Orvis ultimates? They are very comparable in quality to O'Connell's, just not MIUSA. Just cotton.
Sorry to ignore your previous post there. I actually found a pair a little less expensive on eBay so I am going to try them. If they don't work out, I will try the Orvis Ultimate ones. The ratings look mixed for something that is over $100 so I was hesitant to pull the trigger. I likely will buy them un-hemmed and see how they fit and if I like them, I will have them tailored. Is Orvis's hemming of good quality or does it look sloppy if I decide in the future to just have them do it?

Yeah, I know I am a very picky *insert word here*

TKI67

Elite Member
Sorry to ignore your previous post there. I actually found a pair a little less expensive on eBay so I am going to try them. If they don't work out, I will try the Orvis Ultimate ones. The ratings look mixed for something that is over $100 so I was hesitant to pull the trigger. I likely will buy them un-hemmed and see how they fit and if I like them, I will have them tailored. Is Orvis's hemming of good quality or does it look sloppy if I decide in the future to just have them do it?

Yeah, I know I am a very picky *insert word here*
I have always had them hemmed myself. I believe Orvis does a 1" cuff, and I always get 1 3/4" cuffs. I am also fussy about touching but with no break. A Trad who is not picky may need to assess whether they are truly Trad.

delicious_scent

I don't see the appeal for plain grey cotton trousers.

I thought it'd work in the past, like a more casual, versatile alternative to mid-grey wool trousers.

The more pictures I saw, the more I was convinced that it was one of the most lifeless, dreary combinations possible.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I have a pair of old LE non-iron chinos in a medium or battleship sort of grey that work very well with a blazer of tweed jacket. About the only use I've ever had for non-iron chinos, frankly.

Someone mentioned Orvis chinos. I have two pairs and they are non-iron without being treated. I'm talking armor here. Never have to iron them, just smooth them out of the dryer and hang them.

mhj

Are any of Orvis's other chinos of a similar cut to the Ultimates? The fit is perfect but what I don't like is the shrinkage that I experienced and the fact that must be ironed for office wear. I'm not a fan of non-iron but in this case unless you're going fishing or mowing lawn ironing is essential.

John M

I don't see the appeal for plain grey cotton trousers.

I thought it'd work in the past, like a more casual, versatile alternative to mid-grey wool trousers.

The more pictures I saw, the more I was convinced that it was one of the most lifeless, dreary combinations possible.
I am working on inserting more color into my wardrobe but that is actually what I like about gray/grey. I love gray cloudy skies too (without torrential rain) on a November Sunday.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange