drpeter

So do I. The cloudy days of late Fall have their own beauty -- crisp air, fallen leaves, autumnal colours, the smell of woodsmoke...

As for grey cotton trousers, it is their very neutrality that makes them valuable. Consider: A mid-grey goes well with so many colours, just like grey flannels.They are terrific with a white shirt, also both light blue and pink ones. A summer suit made of dove grey poplin looks fantastic with a white/pink shirt and a brightly coloured or striped tie. More casually, shirts and ties in maroon, navy blue, even black, all go well with grey cotton trousers.

I think the critical thing is to find the right shade of grey and the right texture of weave of the cloth. Twills, in my opinion, are less effective in grey compared to poplin. Grey flannel, on the other hand, is so effective because of the thick mottled weave of fine flannel. This weave lends a richness and a substantial feel to grey flannels, and they go with almost all other colours.

And I agree with mhj above -- these trousers must be ironed in order to look good. I'm not sure exactly why, but grey cotton trousers simply don't have the sang-froid of khakis, which are great ironed or non-ironed.

So I'm a grey partisan, LOL. Here's why -- a story from the fascinating world of brain damage:

Oliver Sacks, the eminent neurologist and writer, describes an artist in one of his case studies. He talks about a painter who lost his ability to see colours --following a stroke, if I recollect correctly. Vision is not really in the eye, it is in the brain, and absent the right connections in Areas 17 and 18 in the visual cortex, one can lose vision even with the eyes being fully functional (cortical blindness). Damage to various networks and modules can result in loss of color vision, even the ability to see movement.

Anyway, this painter tells Sacks that, initially, he had a very hard time, and he was frightened -- a painter without colour vision would not be able to paint any more. Or so he thought. But he persisted and soon he began to witness the remarkable ability of the brain to adapt to circumstances. He started painting in greys, whites and blacks. He discovered an entire universe of sensory experience in the world of greys, and said to Sacks that if he were now offered the ability to see colours again, he would simply refuse! He lived in a rich world of greys that opened his artistic sensibility in new ways, and he did not want to go back to seeing the world like the rest of us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

delicious_scent

I am working on inserting more color into my wardrobe but that is actually what I like about gray/grey. I love gray cloudy skies too (without torrential rain) on a November Sunday.
Well played. It feels nondescript. To me it's sort of like the all black outfits people wear when they want to just blend in.

To an extent, I do like the same. I prefer that with my shirts. Looks like I prefer patterns and textured greys over plain ones.
So do I. The cloudy days of late Fall have their own beauty -- crisp air, fallen leaves, autumnal colours, the smell of woodsmoke...

As for grey cotton trousers, it is their very neutrality that makes them valuable. Consider: A mid-grey goes well with so many colours, just like grey flannels.They are terrific with a white shirt, also both light blue and pink ones. A summer suit made of dove grey poplin looks fantastic with a white/pink shirt and a brightly coloured or striped tie. More casually, shirts and ties in maroon, navy blue, even black, all go well with grey cotton trousers.

I think the critical thing is to find the right shade of grey and the right texture of weave of the cloth. Twills, in my opinion, are less effective in grey compared to poplin. Grey flannel, on the other hand, is so effective because of the thick mottled weave of fine flannel. This weave lends a richness and a substantial feel to grey flannels, and they go with almost all other colours.

And I agree with mhj above -- these trousers must be ironed in order to look good. I'm not sure exactly why, but grey cotton trousers simply don't have the sang-froid of khakis, which are great ironed or non-ironed.

So I'm a grey partisan, LOL. Here's why -- a story from the fascinating world of brain damage:

Oliver Sacks, the eminent neurologist and writer, describes an artist in one of his case studies. He talks about a painter who lost his ability to see colours --following a stroke, if I recollect correctly. Vision is not really in the eye, it is in the brain, and absent the right connections in Areas 17 and 18 in the visual cortex, one can lose vision even with the eyes being fully functional (cortical blindness). Damage to various networks and modules can result in loss of color vision, even the ability to see movement.

Anyway, this painter tells Sacks that, initially, he had a very hard time, and he was frightened -- a painter without colour vision would not be able to paint any more. Or so he thought. But he persisted and soon he began to witness the remarkable ability of the brain to adapt to circumstances. He started painting in greys, whites and blacks. He discovered an entire universe of sensory experience in the world of greys, and said to Sacks that if he were now offered the ability to see colours again, he would simply refuse! He lived in a rich world of greys that opened his artistic sensibility in new ways, and he did not want to go back to seeing the world like the rest of us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I've nothing against grey in itself, my closet speaks to that, as does the story of the painter you told us.

Grey cotton is my only hangup. To my eye, it just doesn't have the pattern, texture, or dustiness of grey wool coats, grey flannels and such; hence not as versatile or as appealing.

Pictures speak best here I think.

The Thom Browne pants in the OP are exactly what I'm talking about

The ones that Dhaller posted I'm on board with though. They read more of a cold, stone, washed out khaki than a true grey such as above.

drpeter

I like the shade of grey and the material in the first picture, but the pants are too short for that chap! I suppose we'll have to agree that our tastes differ, LOL.

delicious_scent

I like the shade of grey and the material in the first picture, but the pants are too short for that chap! I suppose we'll have to agree that our tastes differ, LOL.
Agreed on the floodwater pants.

Yep, all good, these discussions are what makes forums fun IMO. If we all agreed, things would be boring.

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I ended up finding a pair of 100% cotton pants, 38x30, gray, Polo Ralph Lauren, for $45. Not everything I wanted and I prefer the quality of O'Connell's and Made in USA deal as well. I do like these and I am going to break them in and use them as my main work pants. By comparison, I was wearing charcoal these...

They are decent casual work pants but too relaxed. Perhaps I need to size down in addition to losing weight. I do need to wear a belt to keep those pants up. : [

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals