Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I was told by a professional hunter in Africa that the animal that causes more damage to humans, (not deaths, damage) is actually the zebra. Stinkers are decidedly hostile and will bite or kick the heck out of you just because you happened to be in their vicinity.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I was told by a professional hunter in Africa that the animal that causes more damage to humans, (not deaths, damage) is actually the zebra. Stinkers are decidedly hostile and will bite or kick the heck out of you just because you happened to be in their vicinity.
Correct Hippos actually kill the most people in Africa...after people....

I never had any issue with zebra. Hunting them is like shooting one neighbors daughter’s pony over the fence, not much to it. But they make great rugs! My zebra rug cost me $750 in South Africa. They sell for north of $4000 in Atlanta. I should have bought a container full.

As for the horseback photo above, I spent a lot of time in the African bush, and frankly, I would have preferred a Winchester lever 30-30 with iron sights to just about any other rifle. Most shots were were short range snap shots on fairly soft game. A 30-30 could easily drop anything kudu sized or smaller without tearing it apart. And a follow up shot could be loaded without taking ones eye off the target.

But I never require a follow up (!) :)

Cheers,

BSR

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Zebra are also remarkably tasty. The carcass is a little off-putting because the fat is chrome yellow but once it's cooked? Man!
Many years back I had the opportunity to dine on horse meat. As I recall, it was reasonably tasty, with the meat offering somewhat of a sweet flavor. Is a zebra's taste similar to that or, more directly, what does Zebra taste like? ;)

Howard

Connoisseur

:eek:I don't know if this is right, you think this gun bunny is referring to "herself" or a "gun", I was thinking M88's would be the size of her breasts!
  • :eek:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Many years back I had the opportunity to dine on horse meat. As I recall, it was reasonably tasty, with the meat offering somewhat of a sweet flavor. Is a zebra's taste similar to that or, more directly, what does Zebra taste like? ;)
Having never, to my knowledge, eaten horse meat I would suspect that they probably taste very similar. Horse meat, as you probably know, is quite popular in Europe but whenever I've been there it hasn't been on the menu. Zebra, grilled on the braai and served medium rare is more flavorful than grain fed beef and right up there with grass fed. Nothing, however, compares with eland. Ah, the memories!

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Some horses in Japan are raised specifically for meat.
SWMBO once ordered horse sashimi ... and I let her. She knew the character for horse, but did not bother to read... just pointed at some meat she thought looked good. She's an equestrian, btw.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Horse meat is a specialty in Bishkek. The people of Kyrgyzstan are traditional nomads and the horse, all aspects, are ingrained in the culture.

It was pretty good. Not NY strip, but it’ll do in a pinch on the steppes.

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals