Had enough of Pop-Ups

Tom Buchanan

I find myself coming to this site less and less. Anyone else thrown off by the pop-ups that take most of the screen, play video, and cannot be deleted or minimized?

I hope Andy is making a lot from the videos because it is has kind of spoiled the experience of coming and checking out the boards.

Anyone have a solution?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Just noticed that perhaps they do not pop up when you are logged in. Is that the secret?

giphy.gif

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@Tom Buchanan - we suppress some of the more invasive ads for members, so if you login you shouldn't see them.

We definitely care about the member experience, so we try to balance revenue-generation activities with visiting experiece.

I would recommend logging in, and see if that addresses your more notable concerns.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Okay, so answer me this.

Writing now on a Lenovo lap top at a Starbucks hot spot. No video ads. When I fire up my Samsung Sky Pro cell phone (with the Marlins stickers all over it), using my data plan, constant obnoxious video ads á la Buchanan above. Which eat up my data by the bushel so I only check in here when on the road well not exactly on the road but in a small pick-up which itself is on the road. Have had to give up my dream of being a Flanderian, i. e., posting here until my fingers bleed, because my limited data faucet is wide open on Android AAAC splashing out video ads for stuff I'm never going to buy. (Llike deodorant. Who uses that?)

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so answer me this. Writing now on a Lenovo lap top at a Starbucks hot spot. No video ads. When I fire up my Samsung Sky Pro cell phone (with the Marlins stickers all over it), using my data plan, constant obnoxious video ads á la Buchanan above. Which eat up my data by the bushel....

@Peak and Pine - from a mobile phone, and being logged in, as far as I can tell, our system should not show you a full video ad.

If you find a case where you're logged into the forum on a mobile, and you see a video ad, please feel free to reach out to me directly via PM, with some screen shots, and I'll be happy to work with you to figure out what might be the root cause.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.