eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
And how does he keep it looking like that? How often does he have to have someone else shave the bare parts? I'm sure he keeps the lizard's back and tail up with mousse but how often does he need to visit his sculptor barber?
I assume they charge extra for those more creative aspects of one's hairdo? I would suppose so, but how much? :icon_scratch:

Howard

Connoisseur
Howard, it depends on the size of the bald spot, but remember, it's only going to get larger and more challenging. Good luck in your quest! ;)

I've been thinning for so many years and it's in the genes, My Father has it so as much as he brushes and combs he can't escape it. I have this curl and sometimes it's a pain that I want to cut it all off but I'm going to leave it alone and brush it as best as I can, it's getting so &[email protected] annoying. :mad:

Howard

Connoisseur
It's hard to accept the fact that I'm getting older and the more I lose my hair the more I want to hide bald spots, how did you guys feel about losing your hair when you were young, how did you hide them?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
It's hard to accept the fact that I'm getting older and the more I lose my hair the more I want to hide bald spots, how did you guys feel about losing your hair when you were young, how did you hide them?
Howard, we all get older...or we die. Trust me, the former is the better option. Regarding the hair, I learned at a very early age that we must learn to live in harmony with the way it is and my approach has always been to fall back to short hair cuts. They hide many ills, from unrepentant cowlicks sticking out in all directions to presenting what is left of a thinning head of hair to it's best effect. Although, it is intrinsically difficult to hide bald spots with a short hair style. The reality is that we always seem to pay more attention to or worry more about our hair that anyone else cares to do! If the situation really bothers you, consider hair plugs and/or a hairpiece. Take a look at John Travolta. Just some thoughts... ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
Howard, we all get older...or we die. Trust me, the former is the better option. Regarding the hair, I learned at a very early age that we must learn to live in harmony with the way it is and my approach has always been to fall back to short hair cuts. They hide many ills, from unrepentant cowlicks sticking out in all directions to presenting what is left of a thinning head of hair to it's best effect. Although, it is intrinsically difficult to hide bald spots with a short hair style. The reality is that we always seem to pay more attention to or worry more about our hair that anyone else cares to do! If the situation really bothers you, consider hair plugs and/or a hairpiece. Take a look at John Travolta. Just some thoughts... ;)

Maybe I'll start looking like Tom Cruise cause that's what My Mother tells me I remind her that I look like him.

richard warren

I always wished my hair would go so I could shave my head or get a close buzz cut (i.e., so my wife would let me do it without giving me inordinate amounts of grief). As it looks now it’ll never happen.

There’s a theory our there that bald men are more attractive to women and generally more manly somehow. Maybe it’s the symbolism. If so, unclear why bald men complain about it.

That being said, to minimize the visual effect of baldness, adopt a style that combs your hair down over you forehead.

FLMike

Connoisseur
It’s a choice. Didn’t say it was a good one, just better than the alternatives.
That’s better than alternatives like shaving it off, or at least very short all over? Well, to stick with a theme....

4C489271-304D-43F9-A989-37C09DFE9CAA.gif

When it comes to bald spots, thinning hair, etc....my philosophy is why try to fight Mother Nature? Just roll with it, rather than try (usually unsuccessfully) to cover it up.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I mean, it's easy for me to say (zero baldness), but in general it's far more graceful to work with nature rather than against it.

Mostly, that means avoid combovers, scalp-painting, and hair replacement like the plague!

(For what it's worth, even those of us with luxuriant manes war endlessly against our hair's natural *grain* - its tendency to grow in a certain direction. It's only in the past ten years that I relented and finally started parting my hair the direction it *wants* to be parted... very freeing.)

DH

Adriel Rowley

I agree with going with Nature. Maternal Grandfather did the comb over and he lived on the coast, that thing was always flying somewhere. Please put me in an institution if ever do that, as obviously have lost my mind.

I am shocked how many times y'all get your hair trimmed, that must be a bit expensive? Being I have red hair, have to get cut by one of the few people that know how, otherwise when grows out becomes a fuzzball mess. This so far has meant going to a salon, which would do once a month if had employment, however, never will.

When came onto hard times and got tired of the length, got out the dog clippers and gave myself a buzz cut. Thinking do it again end of next Spring, the length is starting to get to the between stage and rather not have a cold head this Winter. In short, sometimes the best method is the simplest.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.