Dhaller

Advanced Member
I get mine cut about every six weeks, which is the frequency at which it looks *constant* (ie. you can't really discern the oscillation between "grown out" and "freshly cut".)

If people remark on my haircut, I know I waited too long.

(And for me, in normal times, it's just a small bit of personal pampering; I always feel a bit springy after a haircut, like a just-bathed dog!)

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
...................................................................................................................
(And for me, in normal times, it's just a small bit of personal pampering; I always feel a bit springy after a haircut, like a just-bathed dog!)

DH
The above observation really resonates with me. Given the simple nature of my preferred cut, a High and Tight, it doesn't take a gifted stylist to do the actual cut, but it is the little things...the finishing touches that make it a special experience. Massaging the neck and around the customers temples, trimming the eyebrows, nasal hairs and those wild hairs growing out of we older men's ears, the descreet feathering that makes it virtually impossible to determine where the shaved sides and back stops and the top hair begins, selective use of a straight razor to complete the final touches....all of that is what makes the experience personal! "Please don't misunderstand me, but "I love my barber!

Adriel Rowley

The above observation really resonates with me. Given the simple nature of my preferred cut, a High and Tight, it doesn't take a gifted stylist to do the actual cut, but it is the little things...the finishing touches that make it a special experience. Massaging the neck and around the customers temples, trimming the eyebrows, nasal hairs and those wild hairs growing out of we older men's ears, the discreet feathering that makes it virtually impossible to determine where the shaved sides and back stops and the top hair begins, selective use of a straight razor to complete the final touches....all of that is what makes the experience personal! "Please don't misunderstand me, but "I love my barber!
Trouble is those barbers are less in number than true tailors, put out of business by Not so Great Clips.

Larry was one of those barbers. His shop was in the same location since at least the 1960s and it felt that way, down to the vintage televisions in cabinets (the broken one used as a base for the working one), the penny glued in a cracked corner of linoleum floor, and the haircut charts. No massaging though. He was super skilled with that strait razor, even using it to fade. He did Opa, Dad's, and my hair and was the one that noticed I was getting facial hair and gave me my first shave. Finally retired when almost 80 and went back to Edmonton, Alberta, odd that just popped in my head all these years later. I think Larry charged less because he loved cutting and shaving so much, was an absolute joy to go to him, never met anyone like that. So I totally understand about loving your barber. Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Trouble is those barbers are less in number than true tailors, put out of business by Not so Great Clips.

Larry was one of those barbers. His shop was in the same location since at least the 1960s and it felt that way, down to the vintage televisions in cabinets (the broken one used as a base for the working one), the penny glued in a cracked corner of linoleum floor, and the haircut charts. No massaging though. He was super skilled with that strait razor, even using it to fade. He did Opa, Dad's, and my hair and was the one that noticed I was getting facial hair and gave me my first shave. Finally retired when almost 80 and went back to Edmonton, Alberta, odd that just popped in my head all these years later. I think Larry charged less because he loved cutting and shaving so much, was an absolute joy to go to him, never met anyone like that. So I totally understand about loving your barber. Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end.
The trend here in Atlanta (subjective, I know) has been an uptick in popularity of "real" barber shops, in particular those serving men. The "Great Clips" joints are still around, but indie shops are thriving (well, if you remove the pandemic variable, obviously.)

It may simply be a feature of "hipster" adoption of large, care-intensive beards and updated versions of traditional hairstyles (like the various species of "fade" lately en vogue), but it's nice to be able to go into a proper barber shop, say "I want a sort of Ivy Style cut", and they can do it.

(For those readers in Atlanta, my guy is Rolando Rubi at Trophy Room Barber Shop in Kirkwood... highly recommend. With tip maybe $40ish?)

DH

Adriel Rowley

The trend here in Atlanta (subjective, I know) has been an uptick in popularity of "real" barber shops, in particular those serving men. The "Great Clips" joints are still around, but indie shops are thriving (well, if you remove the pandemic variable, obviously.)

It may simply be a feature of "hipster" adoption of large, care-intensive beards and updated versions of traditional hairstyles (like the various species of "fade" lately en vogue), but it's nice to be able to go into a proper barber shop, say "I want a sort of Ivy Style cut", and they can do it.

(For those readers in Atlanta, my guy is Rolando Rubi at Trophy Room Barber Shop in Kirkwood... highly recommend. With tip maybe $40ish?)

DH
D, interesting, must have been after was in University (then was nose in the books, mostly unaware of the world around and has only gotten more so not allowed to be part of society because Autistic).

And I don't see how having a large beard is care-intensive. Just brush daily and oil as needed, trimming once a month. Mine let go as curious how long I could grow it and surprised by it, do get complements (and a nurse grabbed it to see where my face ended).

For Atlanta, that looks like a nice price, what I used to pay at the solan without tip.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I feel I'm on my day off & I don't need to style my hair, does anyone feel this way if you're not leaving the house why should you style it?
While I can certainly appreciate the sentiment that you express, could I ask you to differentiate between "styling" and combing one's hair? Choosing not to apply a litany of products to one's hair is understandable, but choosing to run around the house all day with a terminal case of bedhead is never a good way to go through life. LOL. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
While I can certainly appreciate the sentiment that you express, could I ask you to differentiate between "styling" and combing one's hair? Choosing not to apply a litany of products to one's hair is understandable, but choosing to run around the house all day with a terminal case of bedhead is never a good way to go through life. LOL. ;)

Sorry Eagle, I meant combing my hair.

Howard

Connoisseur
Everytime I groom my hair I use a light amount of gel and hairspray so I don't wind up making my hair too stiff which can be a problem when combing through it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.