Harrington Baracuta

norton

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I was out last weekend and thinking that I needed a nicer looking jacket than the high tech one I was wearing and I remembered a style I had when I was young, but had no idea what it was called or where to find one. Then on Monday I was looking at the "what are you wearing today" thread, which I almost never do, and there was some mention of the Harrington Baracuta, which was the exact jacket I had been thinking of.

When I saw the price at O'Connell's I was amazed that a simple cotton jacket went for $260. Looking around, even the knock offs were around that price, but Hansen's had it for $220. I was thinking of getting the navy one, so I could wear it with khakis, but had to think it over a bit.

Then last night the original The Thomas Crown Affair was on and there was Steve McQueen in the hang glider scene wearing a pair of khaki's with a navy Baracuta. That was one too many coincidences so I had to go ahead and order today.

Kingstonian

When I saw the price at O'Connell's I was amazed that a simple cotton jacket went for $260. Looking around, even the knock offs were around that price, but Hansen's had it for $220. I was thinking of getting the navy one, so I could wear it with khakis, but had to think it over a bit.

Ebay is full of perfectly good, brand new Harrington copies in all sizes and colours from about £14.99 plus postage.

Last edited:

P Hudson

I've got the light tan one. They are great. The other day someone said "nice Jacket" to me. Usually I'd only get sarcastic remarks like that, but I think he might have meant it. I hope you're happy with the fit.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
I got one in navy from Ben Silver a few seasons back, just like the one I had in college. It came via mail order from the old Huntington Clothiers in Columbus, OH, IIRC (I don't recall Baracutas being particularly exclusive items back then). Great jacket. I gave it away only because my chest size started going up and I could no longer wear it. For all I know it's still going strong on someone somewhere.

A Harrington jacket is like a Wilson 8802 putter (to mention another bit of iconic guy gear from the last century)--no bells and whistles, nothing wasted, but elegant in its very less-is-more type of sheer functionality.

Brooksfan

I got one in navy from Ben Silver a few seasons back, just like the one I had in college. It came via mail order from the old Huntington Clothiers in Columbus, OH, IIRC (I don't recall Baracutas being particularly exclusive items back then). Great jacket. I gave it away only because my chest size started going up and I could no longer wear it. For all I know it's still going strong on someone somewhere.

A Harrington jacket is like a Wilson 8802 putter (to mention another bit of iconic guy gear from the last century)--no bells and whistles, nothing wasted, but elegant in its very less-is-more type of sheer functionality.

Agree 100%. Started with an 8802 almost 40 years ago and have moved through numerous iterations and finally found a Scotty Cameron Napa in the early 90's. Have had this one since '93 and won't let go of it. It's my "gamer" and I've got three other Napa's I'm holding for posterity. Now and then I see an 8802 knock-off but the Napa is still the closest I've found in feel and performance. Buy it once and buy it right. If you get the Baracuta real deal it will probably last 10 years or more. Buy the $15 ebay special today and by July you'll be looking for its replacement.

Ruslev

Can anyone comment on the sizing and how true it runs?

Thanks.

From O'connells:
Sizing is by chest size, in inches. When ordering go by your sport coat/suit coat size if wearing over a shirt. Go up a size from your sport coat/suit size if wearing over a sweater. Sleeve length is generous.

P Hudson

Size is actually rather tricky. My impression is that the sleeves run a bit short, and that the sizing is a bit small. That is based on my old one. I was surprised the first time I stumbled upon O'Connell's statement. Modern sizing might solve the problem. My advice would be to try one on somewhere, which I understand may not be possible.

Other iterations, e.g. Ben Sherman, run S,M,L,XL rather than by chest size.

Moose Maclennan

...Buy it once and buy it right. If you get the Baracuta real deal it will probably last 10 years or more. Buy the $15 ebay special today and by July you'll be looking for its replacement.

In fact the generic Harringtons are an open secret; they are practically indestructible. I have one I bought in the mid '80s. Still looks brand new.

Kingstonian

If you get the Baracuta real deal it will probably last 10 years or more. Buy the $15 ebay special today and by July you'll be looking for its replacement.

Back in the 60s London youngsters bought Millets copy Harringtons. They lasted forever.

If quality considerations makes you feel better about paying over the odds for a Baracuta so be it.

Brideshead

Back in the 60s London youngsters bought Millets copy Harringtons. They lasted forever.

If quality considerations makes you feel better about paying over the odds for a Baracuta so be it.

I can confirm that. I was one such Millets fan. The cut and style were pretty good too.

And in any case the Baracuta is not the last word. J Simons in Covent Garden offers a 'Bramble' Harrington made by Grenfell which really is the dogs wibbly bits!

Mazama

Then last night the original The Thomas Crown Affair was on and there was Steve McQueen in the hang glider scene wearing a pair of khaki's with a navy Baracuta. That was one too many coincidences so I had to go ahead and order today.

Obviously you were getting a message from God (the ultimate Trad?).

Be careful if the Steve McQueen movie Bullit takes over your TV. Otherwise you'll have to buy one of the "highland green" Ford Mustang Bullit models that were produced in 2008-2009.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I have an old Barracuda but in light of this thread I did a search to find out who sells them currently.

No luck.

Orvis has a jacket in khaki and Navy they call a barracuda and it looks like mine but how about a link or contact for a Harrington Barracuda?

Thanks in advance.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange