Harrington Baracuta

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
Don't I feel dumb.
Thanks,

No worries. It's the spelling of "baracuta" that's tricky. Maybe that's the Spanish name for the fish or something.

While we're on the topic of G9s, I can't resist paying homage to one of this iconic jacket's great cinematic appearances, on Tom Berenger (as Frank "The Word Man" Ridgeway) during the campus sequence of Eddie and the Cruisers:

I can't find a better pic, but my memory of the film is that he's wearing a genuine Harrington in the light tan shade.

It was a shrewd costuming choice because a) his character was supposed to be sort of a preppy, intellectual, college-boy type who didn't quite fit in with the band's hard-rockin' blue-collar ethos; and b) wearing it had a bit of a "younging down" effect on the appearance of Berenger, who was a 33-year-old playing somebody more than a decade younger.

I'll always have a soft spot for this movie, which taught me the meaning of the word "caesura" and hence proved that rock 'n' roll can be educational.

Bartolo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
My Harrington Baracuta G9 just arrived from O'Connells yesterday.

As to sizing, I wear a 43 Regular suit/sportcoat and I can say that the 44 G9 is exactly the right size but certainly none too roomy! I have a 37" waist, and the elastic around the bottom of the jacket does get stretched when I zip the jacket. I think that if I were any larger around the chest or waist, the jacket would seem a little tight. Most of us 'non really skinny gents' should feel fine ordering up a size from our suit jacket size.

As to sleeve length, I wear a 34" dress shirt, and the sleeve length is perfect for me.

Mine is the British Tan color. I love it but now I want a navy blue too!!

norton

I just received my Baracuta from Hansens Clothing and thought I'd post a review. I ordered the jacket Monday, a holiday. I received it Thursday. Hansen's doesn't charge postage and the price was $220, about $40 less than I found anywhere else.

I wear a 44L jacket, have 36" arms and a 34" waist. I ordered a 44R, 44L didn't seem to be available in the states. The jacket fits fine in the chest. The arms and body could stand to be about an inch longer, but the fit is acceptable. The waist fits fine. Actually, the fit is better than I had expected.

The jacket seems well made, but it really should be for the money. There may be less expensive copies in the UK, but I didn't find any in the US. Overall I'm very satisfied.

P Hudson

Bartolo,

"Mine is the British Tan color. I love it but now I want a navy blue too!!

I have exactly the same problem. And what happens when we get the navy one? Where does it end?

chadn2000

You'll stop with the Navy. Believe me, it's far and away the coolest of the colors. Looks so awesome with a pair of khakis. I initially did not think the navy looked that good, but it blew me away when I finally saw it in person and put it on.

I have an O'Connells in natural and an Orvis in navy. Orvis runs larger, but O'Connells is thicker.

If I could only find one in hunter green. Been looking for a while on eBay, but no luck.
ss

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Baracutas jackets, like shell cordovan shoes, can be addictive...first it was the khaki, then they came out with the British Khaki; then I had to have the navy version and now O'Connells has an olive version for sale. Argh!!! Someone shoot me(?)! ;)

chadn2000

I'm telling you, go navy blue and you'll be done. You'll never want to wear anything else. Navy blows the others out of the water, and if you buy it and don't agree with me, I will pay for the jacket. PM me if you want me to send you over my credit card information as a safety measure.

I must have tried on some bad barracudas, because I found the cut to be very unflattering and the style a bit too similar to those mod guys I always see in their fred Perry everything.

I'm willing to reconsider though....

patrickamory

Starting Member
All the buttons broke on my G9 - and I mean all of them, including the one for the inside pocket and the two on the collar.

Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know whether Baracuta will send replacements?

Bartolo

I'm telling you, go navy blue and you'll be done. You'll never want to wear anything else. Navy blows the others out of the water, and if you buy it and don't agree with me, I will pay for the jacket. PM me if you want me to send you over my credit card information as a safety measure.

Darn you . . . now I *have* to order one in Navy -- not because I think you'll be paying for it, but because you've convinced me I'll love it :)

Bartolo

I must have tried on some bad barracudas, because I found the cut to be very unflattering and the style a bit too similar to those mod guys I always see in their fred Perry everything.

I'm willing to reconsider though....

I think I need to post a photo of me (or at least my torso) in mine.

5'11" tall; 187 lbs; 43 1/2 chest; 37" waist. My 44 G9 is NOT very flattering around my belly. It may be BEST for the really slim guys

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
Great review SPEAS. I agree if price isn't a factor the Original gets the "Edge."

But given that the Original is now about $250.- and the Orvis knock off is $120.- my edge goes to Orvis.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

I have a G9 slim-fit in a camel tartan. I got it from Baracuta's website a couple of years ago. I guess they have some made abroad, because you did see a price premium for the ones noted "Made In England".

They usually have a number of jackets in different models/colors in their clearance section-sometimes knit polos, too. If you register for e-mails, they occasionally have specials like free shiping.

Eddie#49

Starting Member
I was out last weekend and thinking that I needed a nicer looking jacket than the high tech one I was wearing and I remembered a style I had when I was young, but had no idea what it was called or where to find one. Then on Monday I was looking at the "what are you wearing today" thread, which I almost never do, and there was some mention of the Harrington Baracuta, which was the exact jacket I had been thinking of.

When I saw the price at O'Connell's I was amazed that a simple cotton jacket went for $260. Looking around, even the knock offs were around that price, but Hansen's had it for $220. I was thinking of getting the navy one, so I could wear it with khakis, but had to think it over a bit.

Then last night the original The Thomas Crown Affair was on and there was Steve McQueen in the hang glider scene wearing a pair of khaki's with a navy Baracuta. That was one too many coincidences so I had to go ahead and order today.
The price at O'Connell's is now $365. July 25, 2021.

fishertw

Elite Member
The price at O'Connell's is now $365. July 25, 2021.
Eddie,
You might also try the Grenfell G9. I bought one on sale from Ben Silver a while back in burgundy. It is a great jacket and if you are not familiar with Grenfell, you need to look into the story of the cloth and how it came to be made into coats/jackets etc. Mine fits very well and I am a 180 lb 5'10 with a 38" waist and is sized as a 44.

drpeter

I have a dark blue wool Grenfell Harrington made in England, and another a deep burgundy wool Harrington, a house brand made in Canada, both acquired from Ben Silver. I like them both. They're perfect for fall weather.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange