Shaver

Suspended
I am about to purchase a new Harrington but remain conflicted as to its colour; navy or tan?

Realising that tan is the traditional choice I am tempted toward this model. However, I will be wearing it with chinos or cream moleskins and so the notion of the beige wave concerns me thus persuading me of navy. My thoughts flip-flop between the two options and so I turn to my much admired fellow members for reassurance - which would you decide upon?

Oldsport

Shaver, I have a Navy and a Tan. If I were going to buy a new one I'd opt for the Stone color. I rarely wear the Tan since I wear Khaki colored pants so much. If I had a Stone colored jacket I could wear it with all but Stone colored pants or the lightest shaded Khaki. If you're unsure, look up photos of Dick Van Dyke or Steve McQuean. There are photos available with them wearing the Stone colored Harrington with Khakis.

Tiger

Elite Member
I own old Lands' End versions of the Harrington - really good quality! - that I purchased on sale. At that price, I bought navy and khaki. I wear the navy more, but the khaki looks great with brown, forest green, and navy cords, moleskins, and chinos.

If I could only purchase one, it would be navy, so as not to exclude the bevy of khaki chinos I regularly wear...

Balfour

Suspended
Of your two suggestions I echo Tiger's comment that navy would pair better but I think something lighter coloured is optimal for a Harrington's intended use as a casual summer windbreaker. That's why I like the lightish grey - works fine with khakis.

Balfour

Suspended
BTW, I am considering a Merc https://www.merc.com/menswear/jackets-coats/the-harrington-jacket

Their 'stone' version seems grey to me- how do you feel about this one Mr Balfour?

Also the 'tan' is a very dark shade and may sit well with the trousers I will be pairing the garment to?

Oh, I dunno. Decisions, decisions. ....
'Stone' looks a bit flat to me, so I would avoid (but always hard to assess over the web).

A darker tan would pair well with lighter khakis, but assuming the screen picture is true to colour would it work well with all or most of your summer trousers? Navy may still have the edge on versatility.

straw sandals

Shaver, I have a Navy and a Tan. If I were going to buy a new one I'd opt for the Stone color. I rarely wear the Tan since I wear Khaki colored pants so much. If I had a Stone colored jacket I could wear it with all but Stone colored pants or the lightest shaded Khaki. If you're unsure, look up photos of Dick Van Dyke or Steve McQuean. There are photos available with them wearing the Stone colored Harrington with Khakis.
This. I have two J Press Grenfell Harringtons. I wear the tan with jeans (mostly) and the blue with khakis and madras. I have an extra Made in England Baracuta in tan if you happen to be a size 38...

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Over time I've found it convenient to keep both a navy and a khaki hued Baracuta in my closet to meet my every day needs for outerwear. Limiting oneself to one color or the other just will not do! At our respective ages, we should not deprive ourselves. ;)

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I also endorse the above advice. It's not a matter of tan or navy, but stone or navy. Buy the stone now, then save up and get the navy later.

To me, stone is the iconic color of the Harrington jacket. That's because I started paying attention to that jacket in 1968 when, as a 13-year-old, I faithfully tuned into the TV program "Peyton Place" twice a week. ("Peyton Place" and "Batman" had the unusual distinction of being the only prime-time network series that aired two times per week back then.) Ryan O'Neal, in character as Rodney Harrington, often wore a stone-colored Baracuta jacket (which is how the jacket got its nickname).

So I associate the Harrington most closely with stone. Not tan. Not navy.

Stone.

I've seen photos of Steve McQueen wearing a navy Harrington (how come it's not nicknamed a "Rodney"?). It's a good-looking jacket. But I think he looks slightly better in the photos in which he's wearing the stone version.

I like tan, dark green, and burgundy Harringtons, too. But my first and second choices would be stone and navy, respectively.

By the way, normally I wouldn't have been interested in Peyton Place because it was neither a sitcom nor a spy show. However, during the 1968-69 TV season I did get hooked on that show because my burgeoning hormones were absolutely, hopelessly in love with not one, not two, but three of the gorgeous actresses who had recurring roles in the show: Barbara Parkins, Diana Hyland, and--my favorite--the very blonde Joyce Jillson. In true soap opera fashion, there were always several story lines going on at the same time. In one of them, the town's handsome young priest and Joyce Jillson's character were falling slowly, slowly in love with each other. (Everything happens slowly in soap operas.) One week they embraced. One week they kissed. All the while, they were fighting their conflicting emotions and mutual guilt. Watching the vulnerable Joyce Jillson character struggle with her feelings each week was sweet, drawn-out agony.

Then the show went off the air. My triple crush ended, but not my fond memories of those three women.

Stone. (See--I didn't forget the point of the thread. You thought I forgot the point. But I didn't forget the point.)

gamma68

Honors Member

Another option (for some) might be the Orvis "weatherbreaker," which is light wool tweed with cotton lining. I've been wearing mine a lot lately:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange