FLMike

Connoisseur
Shaver, I'm curious whether you noticed the "M" logo that is on the left chest of the Merc jackets you linked. I think I'd personally opt not to have a chest logo, but I realize that's a personal preference.

The closest thing to a Harrington jacket in my closet is this suede Orvis jacket that I bought on sale some years ago at the NY Midtown Orvis.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Merc is notorious for poor quality tat. I really wouldn't recommend them to anyone, although I do not actually have experience of their Harringtons.

Now that Baracuta has gone to the dogs I'm not sure who else to recommend, but better options are certainly out there.

Re. colours - blue is far more versatile ime, but that's because I wear chinos a lot.

In all honesty I'm presently trying to find a decent cream mac, after which I intend to retire both my Harringtons, as they are not very waterproof nor do they keep me very warm (the neck is problematic). And of course they cannot be worn over a jacket (sportscoat). They do look good though, being Baracutas (old), but still.

Shaver

Suspended
Thanks Yuca, I would appreciate that.

I tried a couple on today, to judge the colour, and they seemed too long in both the arms and the body compared to the version I kicked around in whilst still a young whippersnapper. ....

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I tried a couple on today, to judge the colour, and they seemed too long in both the arms and the body compared to the version I kicked around in whilst still a young whippersnapper. ....
It does indeed seem that today's casual clothes are significantly larger than their conterparts of yesteryear. Of course, that's because people are significantly larger. At least in America. People here are generally huge relative to the populace of 50 and more years ago. Not necessarily a lot taller, but a lot wider.

As a fan of the Dick Van Dyke Show, which ran on network television from 1961 to 1966, I was intrigued when I learned only about a year ago that during the initial run of his show, there was a line of cardigan sweaters under the Dick Van Dyke label. That made sense, since Van Dyke wore cardigan sweaters on his show so often. But until a couple of months ago, I had never seen any of those sweaters with my own eyeballs.

Then one afternoon, while browsing in a second-hand clothing store on Grant Street in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood, I saw, for the first time, in person, a real Dick Van Dyke cardigan. It had wide orange and brown vertical stripes on the front, and the back was a solid burnt orange. It was a size medium. In perfect condition. And very, very Dick Van Dyke-ish. Size medium sweaters, coats, and casual shirts fit me just fine. But when I tried on this medium Van Dyke cardigan, I was surprised by how snug it was. By today's standards it would be a small--perhaps even an extra small. In 1964 or thereabouts, when the sweater first would have gone on sale, fast food and processed foods were still something of a novelty--or in any case just a sometime thing for most people--so a medium sweater back then didn't need to be as big as a medium now.

Same with Shaver's beloved Harrington's, I guess.

gamma68

Honors Member
^ The Van Dyke cardigan might have shrunk somewhat if it had ever been washed. But generally speaking, you're right. People were smaller 50 years ago. This point really hit home when I saw some late 40s/early 50s US military uniforms at a vintage clothing store.

Shaver

Suspended
Shaver, I'm curious whether you noticed the "M" logo that is on the left chest of the Merc jackets you linked. I think I'd personally opt not to have a chest logo, but I realize that's a personal preference.
You are quite right Mike, ordinarily I would disdain any visible logo on clothing but was prepared to overlook this one. However, given Yuca's appraisal of the brand generally I shall now be looking elsewhere.

Shaver

Suspended
Another option (for some) might be the Orvis "weatherbreaker," which is light wool tweed with cotton lining. I've been wearing mine a lot lately:

This really is a lovely item gamma. The Orvis site is only revealing a cotton blend model now - but they too are tempting.

Shaver

Suspended
It does indeed seem that today's casual clothes are significantly larger than their conterparts of yesteryear. Of course, that's because people are significantly larger. At least in America. People here are generally huge relative to the populace of 50 and more years ago. Not necessarily a lot taller, but a lot wider.

As a fan of the Dick Van Dyke Show, which ran on network television from 1961 to 1966, I was intrigued when I learned only about a year ago that during the initial run of his show, there was a line of cardigan sweaters under the Dick Van Dyke label. That made sense, since Van Dyke wore cardigan sweaters on his show so often. But until a couple of months ago, I had never seen any of those sweaters with my own eyeballs.

Then one afternoon, while browsing in a second-hand clothing store on Grant Street in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood, I saw, for the first time, in person, a real Dick Van Dyke cardigan. It had wide orange and brown vertical stripes on the front, and the back was a solid burnt orange. It was a size medium. In perfect condition. And very, very Dick Van Dyke-ish. Size medium sweaters, coats, and casual shirts fit me just fine. But when I tried on this medium Van Dyke cardigan, I was surprised by how snug it was. By today's standards it would be a small--perhaps even an extra small. In 1964 or thereabouts, when the sweater first would have gone on sale, fast food and processed foods were still something of a novelty--or in any case just a sometime thing for most people--so a medium sweater back then didn't need to be as big as a medium now.

Same with Shaver's beloved Harrington's, I guess.
This is very annoying to me. I might as well get a tatty cheap cagoule pac-a-mac from a discount outdoors centre than an ill fitting Harrington. The essence of the style of a bomber jacket is that it sits just below the waist not half way down the crotch.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
What do those 'updates' consist of? I'm wondering since I was thinking of picking one up.
I imagine that the G9s in the US may be from before an Italian company bought Baracuta and changed the G9. In which case of course, you have nothing to worry about. Simply compare the photo of what you want to buy with the current G9 photos on the Baracuta site. For example, I really couldn't imagine the likes of O'Connell's stocking the new ones, and I think they're the type of shop that is happy to hold stock for many years. So they probably have the classics.

Also there is a long tradition of British retailers having higher quality goods solely available for export to the US. The only example I can think of right now is the Burberrys Trench 21, which was the best trench Burberrys did and was only exported to your shores. In other words, anyone over here (UK) wanting the best British trenchcoat had to get one that had been imported twice. So there is a possibility that someone in the US has arranged with Baracuta that they continue making decent G9s that are only available on your side of the Atlantic. It's doubtful but possible - more likely though is that you have shops with old stock. The changes only occurred a year or 2 ago.

To see exactly what has been changed, as I said, the Baracuta site will have photos. The pockets in particular are dreadful. The ruining of the classic was accompanied by a price hike - and they were already well overpriced.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
You're right. It appears Orvis no longer offers its tweed "weatherbreaker." However, Orvis currently has a lightweight nylon/cotton version in tan, navy, red, green:

https://www.orvis.com/p/weatherbreaker-jacket/1z5b
I have one of the Orvis' Tweed Weather Breaker jackets in the closet that I fear I shall never again have the opportunity to wear. I think it was worn on a total of three occasions. What size do you wear Mr. Shaver?

Shaver

Suspended
Shaver, are the Combat Jackets in the link I've provided an option? I know they may not be exact to specifications, most notably the lack of a rear vent. However, I love mine (Navy Blue) and feel they represent a great value in a Harrington Jacket. Heck, at these prices, you can stock up on all possible colors

https://www.bennevisclothing.com/Jackets-Coats/Harrington-Jacket
Thank you Triathlete. At the price they are absolutely worth a try. What's more the length, as published on the website, seems reasonable. I have ordered a navy and will report back once received.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange