alkydrinker

Here's an interesting, but expensive, option I ran across recently.

I got a high-end catalog in the mail - maus & hoffman - and i saw that they offer a made in USA version of the G9 harrington jacket (for $325):

https://www.mausandhoffman.com/p_19398RRJ+54+M1.aspx

They call it a "Cruiser Poplin Jacket", but it has all the exact details of a traditional G9. Overall, this company has an interesting assortment of very expensive clothes.

gsgolf54

O'Connell's sold out of their remaining Baracutas and are now stocking an American made version which looks very, very similar to the original. Price may be a deterrent as they list for $325.

gsgolf54

This example from Maus and Hoffman looks to be the exact one O'Connell's is carrying. Details and lining appear to be the same and both are UA sourced.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
O'Connell's sold out of their remaining Baracutas and are now stocking an American made version which looks very, very similar to the original. Price may be a deterrent as they list for $325.
I can guess why - they know their clientele wouldn't be happy with the new updated Baracuta versions.

HOOT

So the current O'Connell ones aren't actually made by Baracuta, right? I guess the fact that they call them 'Baracuta' on their online store is a bit confusing.

This example from Maus and Hoffman looks to be the exact one O'Connell's is carrying. Details and lining appear to be the same and both are UA sourced.
They do seem identical from the photos. Though the Maus & Hoffman is a poly/cotton blend whilst the O'Connells is 100% cotton, according to their respective descriptions.

I can guess why - they know their clientele wouldn't be happy with the new updated Baracuta versions.
I'm honestly having a hard time noticing the differences online. Does it come down to the fit/cut more than anything else? With the O'connell's being more faithful to the original of course. I also saw Baracuta introduced a heritage version called the 'Original G9' which I wasn't aware of up until now, supposedly based on their historic archives.

O'Connell's Harrington
- 100% Cotton (Outer & Lining)
- Made in the USA

Baracuta G9 Modern Classic
- 50% Poly / 50% Cotton (Outer & Lining)
- Made in England

Baracuta G9 Original
- 100% Cotton (Outer & Lining)
- Made in England

Yuca

I'm honestly having a hard time noticing the differences online. Does it come down to the fit/cut more than anything else? With the O'connell's being more faithful to the original of course. I also saw Baracuta introduced a heritage version called the 'Original G9' which I wasn't aware of up until now, supposedly based on their historic archives.
I have a G9 that's about a decade old and looks similar to the G9 Original above, although I think on mine the pockets are not as far back. Hard to say from that photo, and anyway mine might be different to those from decades ago. However I'm certain that the tag only came into play a decade or 2 ago, meaning the Original can't be that authentic.

The G9 Modern Classic is not that different, but those pockets are hideous and ruin it - the pockets being a highly focal and significant part of its appeal.

The O'C's one looks good but I'm not sure if the pockets are quite right.

Yuca

Maybe in the US Sherman is seen as exotic due to being imported, but I can assure you their stuff is trash. Including that Harrington. I'd take Orvis any time - I'm sure Orvis is not what it used to be, but even so it still has its moments. And the Harrington reflects that - I wouldn't personally pay $169 for nylon but it does look reasonable, and the nylon I assume increases its waterproof qualities. From the front it has the classic look, but the back is wrong - overall not bad. I can't think of a better alternative without going vintage or trying a Baracuta Original (which I've not looked at properly).

Cheap vintage Van Heusen Baracutas can be found - not pure cotton but they do have the original style.

Color 8

Congratulations ! That really is a nice jacket :thumbs-up:
I also agree with your your choice of color - the navy looks great !

I hesitate to pull the trigger on it, because shipping to the US is half the price of the jacket ( 36 GBP + 18 GBP Shipping to US ). Without any way to try it on, I'll be stuck if I don't get the sizing right or like the fit.

I'm leaning towards the Orvis jacket because there's an Orvis store near me that has them in stock in navy and khaki. There's a lot to be said for the ability to evaluate them first-hand and try them for fit.

My thanks to Triathlete, this Combat model is exactly that which I was seeking.

Shaver

Suspended
Thank you, I am extremely pleased with it.

The measurements as published on the website are accurate to within half an inch - having just taken a tape to the jacket.

Shaver

Suspended
Congratulations ! That really is a nice jacket :thumbs-up:
I also agree with your your choice of color - the navy looks great !

I hesitate to pull the trigger on it, because shipping to the US is half the price of the jacket ( 36 GBP + 18 GBP Shipping to US ). Without any way to try it on, I'll be stuck if I don't get the sizing right or like the fit.

I'm leaning towards the Orvis jacket because there's an Orvis store near me that has them in stock in navy and khaki. There's a lot to be said for the ability to evaluate them first-hand and try them for fit.
If it assists you, I am 5' 10" with a 38 chest wearing the medium offering.

Color 8

If it assists you, I am 5' 10" with a 38 chest wearing the medium offering.
I am 5' 8" with a 39"'chest and also wear the medium.
Yes, thank you - it will assist me in staying motivated to lose another 20 pounds :biggrin: ;).

Seriously, I went to the Orvis store to try theirs on, and liked it so much that I bought it on the spot. I like the fit - it is very good through the torso and arms IMO, and the length comes to just below my belt. The length is second in importance only to the overall size to me, because (like you) I absolutely can't stand for a jacket like this to hang halfway down my crotch / backside. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I'd prefer 100% cotton but the material has a very nice hand and may be somewhat more weatherproof / durable. I'd also prefer a vented back but the jacket is lightweight enough that I don't anticipate it will be overly warm, and it's not a deal-breaker in any event.

It also helped that Orvis is offering a $25 discount on purchases over $50, both online and in-store (through May 3), which brought it a little closer to my comfort zone.

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with it. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this great thread :beer: !

Shaver

Suspended
^As to temperature regulation, one of the fine attributes of the Harrington is that it looks equally stylish unzipped in warm weather and fully zipped and buttoned on cold drizzly days. The English spring being what it is I had occasion to experience both these climes at the weekend just passed.

alkydrinker

Any thoughts on this Ben Sherman jacket ? I'm currently thinking about that one or the Orvis, in navy.

https://www.bensherman.com/ben-sherman-cotton-harrington/detail.php?p=992839
Maybe in the US Sherman is seen as exotic due to being imported, but I can assure you their stuff is trash. Including that Harrington. .
I own that exact Ben Sherman Harrington, as well as a recent Baracuta G4 (the model without the elastic banding).

I don't feel the Ben Sherman is "trash" at all. Yes, it's mass produced in China, but - to a US audience - I would say the quality is similar to what you would expect from somewhere like Banana Republic. In other words, a good bit better than dreck from somewhere like Kohls or Target. Maybe Yuca has negative thoughts about Ben Sherman due to the type of people that wear it in the UK (chavs?).

Yes, the Baracuta does feel a bit more premium, but no overwhelmingly so. One difference is that the Baracuta collar stands up better, and is much taller in the back...the Ben Sherman collar gets short in the back, which I don't feel looks as good overall.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.