SG_67

Connoisseur
The fabric used to make the shell of the Baracuta is pretty substantial and feels much more sturdy than the ubiquitous fashion knock offs available through the likes of Banana Republic and the like. The fabric of the latter are quite flimsy. Also, the elastic used in the Batacuta's hem is far more substantial and heavy duty than the latter's.

The question is, is it worth the premium and I suppose the answer is as unique and individual as any other choice when value is at question.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I own that exact Ben Sherman Harrington, as well as a recent Baracuta G4 (the model without the elastic banding).

I don't feel the Ben Sherman is "trash" at all. Yes, it's mass produced in China, but - to a US audience - I would say the quality is similar to what you would expect from somewhere like Banana Republic. In other words, a good bit better than dreck from somewhere like Kohls or Target. Maybe Yuca has negative thoughts about Ben Sherman due to the type of people that wear it in the UK (chavs?).

Yes, the Baracuta does feel a bit more premium, but no overwhelmingly so. One difference is that the Baracuta collar stands up better, and is much taller in the back...the Ben Sherman collar gets short in the back, which I don't feel looks as good overall.
Sorry to diss your jacket. Sherman is not exactly a 'chav' brand (afaik) although it does have 'beer boy' associations, however I have at least 1 good friend who wears Shermans (their shirts) and he's neither a chav nor a beer boy. My problem with the brand is that, since its inception in the 60s, it has always sold a poor version of something good - the original Sherman shirts from the 60s were copies of US BDs (apparently Career Club) but without the soft collar and with certain naff details added.

Not that that matters if they produce something good, and maybe the Sherman Harrington is as you claim almost as good as the G9, however personally in the photos I think it look nasty.

Then again, maybe with high quality kit (e.g. high rise chinos and an old Brooks Makers BD) it would look fine. It's hard for me to be objective as I have gone off the Harrington in general.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I have two McGregor Drizzlers, navy and tan, bought years ago from Sierra Trading Post for an ridiculous price.

Every couple of years I give them a shot of Scotch Guard.

Very useful jackets.

I see a McGregor website that offers them for 179 Euros, which is a little over $200 US, which strikes me as too much for a windbreaker.

At eBay, here's one that is very similar to mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Me...ckabilly-Navy-Blue-Size-L-Large-/351704983275

And another, which the seller thinks will make you look like James Dean in a rockabilly band: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GE...ZIPPER-James-Dean-Rockabilly-44-/261660252811

Last edited:

SlideGuitarist

Elite Member
I just opened a package from Orvis, and pulled out this XL, which is correlated with sizes 46-48 on their website. Uh, the armpit-to-armpit measurement is 28"! Judging from all the photos, a windbreaker should be fairly close to the body, and would be worn over a sweater at most, right? Meaning I have to send this back...

ran23

I bought one in Navy to see what it was like, Pockets did not hold up to my keys and other sharps. It is a great look with tan khakis. I would try a Tan next and replace the Navy. Medium fit my 5-8 158 then. Probably had it for 6 months.
I have been tempted to try one of the cheap ebay offerings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARRINGTON...hash=item2a4bed1fb4:m:m9ObkcTPVXPGUc4P2Ngl4nQ

I have no delusions of quality, but for the price, it could be a fun beater jacket.

Shaver

Suspended
^The previous pic you posted suffered from much the same issues as I was bemoaning at the head of this thread. This model, however, is just the ticket!

If I may offer a little friendly advice though - put the collar up! I guarantee you it is much more stylish.

Shaver

Suspended
Those pics could've been taken 40 years ago and it still looks fantastic. It's a timeless design. Well done.
Amusingly enough I do have a photo of me wearing a Harry that was taken just shy of 40 years ago. However, I am also sporting a 'mohican' haircut (and converse trainers) so it is probably best not publicised.

SlideGuitarist

Elite Member
^The previous pic you posted suffered from much the same issues as I was bemoaning at the head of this thread. This model, however, is just the ticket!

If I may offer a little friendly advice though - put the collar up! I guarantee you it is much more stylish.
I don't know if I've achieved a Shaverian degree of rakishness here, but it's a start. The shirt is the "new, improved" Brooks Bros. lavender university stripe, which I love.

Shaver

Suspended
University stripe (or as we English prefer Bengal stripe) is my favourite.

As to collar up/down- in the unlikely event that my word is insufficient then Google Steve Mcqueen and Clark Kent and decide for yourselves. ;)

Color 8

Grats ! - the Size 'L' looks great on you :).

I also had to size down on the jacket until the length was right. At the correct length it is somewhat blousey on me, but I'm not looking for a close fit on a windbreaker (or anything else, actually).

I bought both of those exact items in the last few weeks. How do you like them ?

I like the jacket - it's been raining off-and-on since I got it, and it's been completely weatherproof and care-free. I 100% agree that the stand collar must be worn standing :thumbs-up:

I got the new Brooks shirts in white, purple / white and aqua / white during the recent shirt sale + F&F sale. With both discounts stacked, it was a good time to try them IMO.

I love the colors and the weight of the material, and they look great without a tie.
I will occasionally wear an OCBD with a tie, but I haven't figured out how to properly wear the softer collars with a tie for best effect yet.

I don't know if I've achieved a Shaverian degree of rakishness here, but it's a start. The shirt is the "new, improved" Brooks Bros. lavender university stripe, which I love.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I too have a Combat model and I am very pleased with it. That being said I also have two very old original Baracuta jackets, one in Navy and one in cream. They are top notch and I still wear them for ULTRA casual beat up denim days. (Because they're pretty well thrashed.)

I'd like to purchased a new pair of originals but the cost is beyond justifiable. I'm even considering giving one of my old originals to Joe Hemrajani and having him make a couple for me.

Regards,

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.