godan

Advanced Member
^^+1.

I have yet to encounter anyone admitting any regret over purchasing the original article, regardless of what that article/garment might be! :thumbs-up:
After trying to wear my first Harrington/G9/Barracuta, I came to regret the purchase and donated the jacket because I underestimated my dislike of the plaid lining that showed at the throat . The experience taught me to avoid display-oriented linings in similar garments, so something was learned.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I probably regret my cheap "not quite right" purchases more than any others. I've learned over the years to pay for what I want and not settle, even if it means paying more, buying fewer, etc.
To everybody reading this: The above paragraph is one of the wisest and most valuable observations that have ever appeared in any online clothing discussion forum over the past 15 years, or in any clothing-related medium over the past 50 years, at least. Duvel has distilled a lifetime's worth of wisdom into two brief sentences. Heed them. Whoever you are. Whether you are a registered member or a lurker. Whether you are young or old. Heed those two sentences.

Or aspire to them, anyway. Sometimes you make a considered decision to compromise. For example, if you are 24 years old and you need three suits for your job but you have very little money--then compromise away. Or, as in the case of Fading Fast, you understand that "good enough" is going to be good enough for working at home. But in the long run, unless you are knowingly making a strategic decision to do otherwise, shoot for what you really want, even if it means having a less voluminous wardrobe.

Last edited:

Duvel

Connoisseur
I've heard that from a few other people. For me, it's a feature that makes the jacket distinctive.

After trying to wear my first Harrington/G9/Barracuta, I came to regret the purchase and donated the jacket because I underestimated my dislike of the plaid lining that showed at the throat . The experience taught me to avoid display-oriented linings in similar garments, so something was learned.

Last edited:

godan

Advanced Member
I've heard that from a few other people. For me, it's a feature that makes the jacket distinctive.

Just so. Distinctive is the very quality I want to avoid. This quote from a former mother-in-law is as roughly accurate as memory allows. "Nothing about your clothing should be noticeable, except to the most discerning people, who will be too well-mannered to mention it." I think that colored or patterned linings or piping might be noticeable to those who are not discerning. Another consideration is probably that I am less confident about patterned linings than those who are not colorblind. To each his own....

Last edited:

Duvel

Connoisseur
Makes sense. That must account for the proliferation of grey and black attire on the streets these days. To each his own, of course, but everyone looks to me like they're perpetually in mourning.

CSG

Inactive user
The Orvis Weatherbreaker jacket has a low key mostly green/blue plaid lining. Discrete.

I'm generally in the camp that one should buy the genuine article if one can afford it but in this case, I don't perceive the value in a $300-400 poly cotton jacket. I was shopping a look, not a brand.

godan

Advanced Member
I'm generally in the camp that one should buy the genuine article if one can afford it but in this case, I don't perceive the value in a $300-400 poly cotton jacket. I was shopping a look, not a brand.
I share your views. Deciding to buy quality can lead one to - or towards -spending more than the quality of a particular garment justifies. Trying to persuade consumers to do this contributed, I think, to the demise of Bills. Their recent catalogs reeked of a phony "authenticity" that would presumably be delivered in the same package as overpriced merchandise. Customers who valued Bills khakis for good reasons did not value either the other merchandise or the absurd advertising, and the result has been the failure of a good business.

Walter Denton

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I like the look of the Orvis jacket.
I have an Orvis Weatherbreaker that I like very much. In fact, I doubt I would like the Baracuta any more. If the OP is interested I have a Brooks Brothers G4 style jacket, large, in khaki, which I would be willing to part wth since I decided I like the Orvis jacket so much more. PM me if interested.

VA17

I have an Orvis Weatherbreaker that I like very much. In fact, I doubt I would like the Baracuta any more. If the OP is interested I have a Brooks Brothers G4 style jacket, large, in khaki, which I would be willing to part wth since I decided I like the Orvis jacket so much more. PM me if interested.
Appreciate the offer, but I actually ordered a weatherbreaker. Hasn't come in yet, but I'm hoping it's ends up being what I'm looking for. What is the fabric like on the weatherbreaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSG

Inactive user
Mine's a poly-cotton blend but it comes across more as cotton than poly. It is not a foul weather jacket in spite of the name.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^+1.

I have yet to encounter anyone admitting any regret over purchasing the original article, regardless of what that article/garment might be! :thumbs-up:
I regret (a little) the $120 I paid for the Orvis Harrington as these sorts of jackets should be under $100 in any event, including the ridiculously overpriced Baracuta jackets. I would have regretted paying even the sale price for one of those.
:eek: Well there you have it...I've certainly been disabused of my premature and arguably unwarranted conclusion! Allow me to restate my position....I have never regretted buying "the real thing or original article. LOL. ;)

Duvel

Connoisseur
I'm still a little hung up on the term "display-oriented linings." While it's the first I've heard it described this way, I know what godan is talking about. At the same time, isn't it just this kind of detail, with anything, that adds a little flair and distinction to one's wardrobe? In other words, doesn't it look good? And can't one do this without being flashy? I think so.

It depends on context and purpose, I guess. I can see that if you wish to blend into the background, like a covert spy, then a little flair is not going to suit you well. Then again, if you look like you're trying to blend into the background, haven't you called attention to yourself? I'm sure there's M-6 trade craft on this.

But then, we have all our preferences. Interesting thread, in any case, all initiated by a simple inquiry into the humble Harrington. ;)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.