Harrington jacket on JPress for $395...seriously?

swb120

Sir Cingle

I briefly spoke to the salesmen at my local Press about this. The jacket looks nice and all, but $400 for a Baracuta! What gives! I was really amazed at that price. Obviously, anyone who knows about O'Connell's won't get a Baracuta at Press.

A bit of a mark-up for merchandise at Press is okay, I think. The extra bucks for a Smathers and Branson or Leatherman belt isn't too troubling. It's as if you're paying extra to buy the thing then and there, rather than wait for it to arrive.

But well over $100 extra for a cotton jacket! No, no, no!

alcon

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Don't Pay It!

J. Press and the like will no longer get one cent of my money; enough is enough! Retailers are entitled to make a profit from what they sell however, $400.00 for a lightweight jacket of this type is over-the-top, especially when many have 50% - 70% off sales at the end of the season and still make a nice profit. Don't be a sucker and continue to pay such inflated prices. Don't buy from this type of "high end" retailer and their prices will come down or they will go out of business.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
I've said it dozens of times before, and I'll say it again:

Merc
Lonsdale
Warrior

All as good as Baracuta and far cheaper. In fact, Merc are better in my opinion.

dek40206

Starting Member
More troubling to me was my recent discovery that identical madder ties (produced by Atkinson's) at J. Press and O'Connell's were $30 bucks more at Press. I have long loved J. Press, and purchased a charcoal Shaggy Dog this winter, but the "label" markup does not entice me at this point in my life as much as good fiscal sense does. This sort of thing should be the antithesis of the ethos of this entire forum. Paying a fair number for quality is fine, and expected, getting juiced for the label is terribly nouveau and unacceptable.

JakeLA

They're about $250 shipped to the US from the Baracuta online store once you figure in shipping and subtract the VAT. And that's for one that's made in England.

The G9s J. Crew sells for $275 are made in Turkey.

swb120

I've long been meaning to make a (long-overdue) road trip to O'Connell's in Buffalo; now I have a good reason to do so!

Pink and Green

Now, now boys, when I wandered into Press with a wallet full of bills that were causing an uncomfortable disturbance in my sportscoat, they were glad to alleviate the problem, and when I left, I was barely aware anything was in my wallet at all!

/sarcasm mode off.

Yes, that seems high. Oh well, as I used to tell my customers, don't buy it and vote with your wallet.

Coleman

Because I do want as many Trad shops to stay open as possible, I try to make small purchases at the ones with such markups and make my large purchases elsewhere.

godan

Elite Member
Pacific Trail

My Pacific Trail clone dates from when that brand was owned by London Fog. (It may still be.) It looks enough like the Press item in the OP that I think the $70 or so was well-spent a few years ago. On the larger issue, I am surprised that a few shops can push prices so artificially high in this economy, especially when, as this forum represents, at least some of their customers are sophisticated and informed.

Joe Beamish

Elite Member
I agree about the small stuff at Press -- that's the stuff I like there anyway, the bucket hats, bow ties, wonder buttons, pocket squares. I look forward to trying their khakis one day, but I find their jackets way too shouldery. BB and OC are better for suits, blazers, jackets in my view.

Coleman

I agree about Press shoulders (at least in regard to the Presstige line; I've never tried on a Southwick made Pressidential).

But even a few of my BBs disappoint at least a little in the shoulders (especially newer ones). My favorites for their shoulders are my Southwicks (although I'm sure my Norman Hilton---which I will be picking up today from the tailor---will be king). Unfortunately I don't know what model they are. They could be the Douglas, or they could be a discontinued model, like the Warwick.

Last edited:

Joe Beamish

Elite Member
Agreed, Coleman. My vintage and semi-vintage stuff always has a more natural shoulder. The old BB blazers are marvelous. My contemporary BB sack blazer is a great jacket, but noticeably more shouldery -- but in a way I actually like. I consider it my business jacket (worsted, serious, elegant, non-idiosyncratic) that I can wear in client meetings when a suit isn't called for. It just has that look. Do I keep the brass buttons therefore? Or try to make it into navy sport coat? I go back and forth. The relatively significant shoulders seem to invite this thinking.

I've always wanted to try a Southwick Douglas blazer -- and the OC house blazer....

EDIT: THe other thing I've noticed about the lower end Press jackets: Big arm holes. Move your arm perpendicular to your body, and the whole jacket scrunches northward on one side. Ugh.

Last edited:

Sir Cingle

What's odd about the markup on this jacket is that in my experience J. Press actually has some decently-priced items, particularly if you can catch things on sale. Now, in this regard, I am fortunate to live in New Haven, since the New Haven shop often has lots of old stock laying around, which tends to be on sale. But, as someone who likes Press jackets, I can get some really great stuff at decent prices. Unlike O'Connell's on-line, for example, the local Press actually sells things for as much as 70% off. I picked up one very nice Harris tweed jacket from Press this year for just about $100. Not bad, not bad.

But $400 for a light cotton jacket? I hope that isn't the way of Press' future prices!

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
J. Press and the like will no longer get one cent of my money; enough is enough! Retailers are entitled to make a profit from what they sell however, $400.00 for a lightweight jacket of this type is over-the-top, especially when many have 50% - 70% off sales at the end of the season and still make a nice profit. Don't be a sucker and continue to pay such inflated prices. Don't buy from this type of "high end" retailer and their prices will come down or they will go out of business.

Why do you hate capitalism?

alcon

I absolutely do not dislike capitalism; I didn't vote for Obama. I do like my freedom to spend my money wisely in establishments where they are not trying to rip me off. Certainly J. Press can charge whatever they want and I support that. However, I don't have to buy what they are selling just because some consider J. Press the Trad "In" store.

M. Charles

For what it's worth, the J. press jacket is not a Baracuta (brand), it's a Grenfell version. Different coat. Different materials. Whether it's worth the price differential is another question, and perhaps it's too much for this kind of jacket in general. But the comparison with O'Connell's is not entirely relevant. Ben Silver was selling a winter version of the Grenfell baracuta style jacket for $395. Press's will go on sale.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange