Harrington jacket on JPress for $395...seriously?

Cardinals5

Honors Member
For what it's worth, the J. press jacket is not a Baracuta (brand), it's a Grenfell version. Different coat. Different materials. Whether it's worth the price differential is another question, and perhaps it's too much for this kind of jacket in general. But the comparison with O'Connell's is not entirely relevant. Ben Silver was selling a winter version of the Grenfell baracuta style jacket for $395. Press's will go on sale.

Odd that Press doesn't seem to mention the Grenfell connection on their website (i.e. Harrington-style jacket in Grenfell cloth...) I have two Baracutas and have handled a vintage Grenfell trench (ladies) and the two fabrics used are not even in the same league. True Grenfell cloth is something like 600 threads per inch and virtually waterproof unlike my thin cotton Baracutas. I guess the $400 price tag makes a little more sense now.

Got Shell?

I am also surprised to hear they are grenfell but aren't advertised. Ben Silver now carries the Grenfell harrington for $285 instead of the baracuta g9. They market the Grenfell as "the original g-9". Surprising, since I thought it was widely accepted that the baracuta was the original. They have the melton wool winter one, but also a natural cotton one that looks alot like the baracuta, except the lining is beige with a subdued tartan, much less noticeable than the fraser tartan of baracuta. I think all Grenfells are made in England, so that's also a selling point for Ben silver, etc, since some baracutas are made elsewhere.

https://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=66&show=160&display=11116&group=1

M. Charles

Odd that Press doesn't seem to mention the Grenfell connection on their website (i.e. Harrington-style jacket in Grenfell cloth...) I have two Baracutas and have handled a vintage Grenfell trench (ladies) and the two fabrics used are not even in the same league. True Grenfell cloth is something like 600 threads per inch and virtually waterproof unlike my thin cotton Baracutas. I guess the $400 price tag makes a little more sense now.

The current Press model is made by the current company called Grenfell, a manufacturer of garments. That company has not made real Grenfell cloth for many years. I was referring to this manufacturer rather than the cloth.

I've seen the Press model in person and it doesn't look quite the same to me as the Ben Silver model, but I may be wrong. If it is,then Press is indeed marking it up too much. Of course their marketing scheme seems to factor in sales, and Ben Silver never has sales really, only clearances in random sizes.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
I absolutely do not dislike capitalism; I didn't vote for Obama. I do like my freedom to spend my money wisely in establishments where they are not trying to rip me off. Certainly J. Press can charge whatever they want and I support that. However, I don't have to buy what they are selling just because some consider J. Press the Trad "In" store.

Thanks, comrade. ;)

BTW, have you seen the new Press hammer-and-sickle emblematic ties?

Cardinals5

Honors Member
Thanks, comrade. ;)

BTW, have you seen the new Press hammer-and-sickle emblematic ties?

Here's mine.
soviet_hammer_and_sickle_design_tie-p151572855008547549td9w_210.jpg

I usually pair it with one of these sport coats
mao+suits3.png

Trads of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but closet space!

Cardinals5

Honors Member
That company has not made real Grenfell cloth for many years. I was referring to this manufacturer rather than the cloth.

Ah ha, that's disappointing about the cloth, which I presumed was the whole reason for the attaching the Grenfell name to something. Anyone know why no one manufactures that magnificant cloth anymore?

Mr. Mac

While I love the classic Harrington cotton Baracuta jacket as much as the next Trad, asking nearly $400 for a cotton jacket slightly heavier than a windbreaker deeply offends my Trad fiscal sensibilities:
https://www.jpressonline.com/outerwear_jackets_detail.php?ix=3

Heck, even the $265 price on O'Connell's gives me pause, which now looks like a relative bargain:
https://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/baracuta_g9.php

$135 extra for the JPress label is ridiculous. Am I alone on this?

No, you're not. It's increasingly difficult to tell when you're paying for quality and when you're paying for name. I had my eyes opened a few years back when our store bought some off price suits from S. Cohen. Our rep told us a few big accounts had canceled orders. Imagine my surprise when an S. Cohen box full of J. Press labeled goods arrived at our door:

Pressclusive Suit: $695
S. Cohen suit: $450 (our price, which includes a non-iron shirt, JZ Richards tie, full-grain leather belt, socks, and FREE alterations).

I buy S. Cohen - and would even if I couldn't buy them at wholesale. Not to knock on Press (or anyone else) but think about it, what items out there are TRULY good values? (maybe this is a new thread idea?)

Eddie#49

Starting Member
While I love the classic Harrington cotton Baracuta jacket as much as the next Trad, asking nearly $400 for a cotton jacket slightly heavier than a windbreaker deeply offends my Trad fiscal sensibilities:
https://www.jpressonline.com/outerwear_jackets_detail.php?ix=3

Heck, even the $265 price on O'Connell's gives me pause, which now looks like a relative bargain:
https://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/baracuta_g9.php

$135 extra for the JPress label is ridiculous. Am I alone on this?

Eddie#49

Starting Member
I briefly spoke to the salesmen at my local Press about this. The jacket looks nice and all, but $400 for a Baracuta! What gives! I was really amazed at that price. Obviously, anyone who knows about O'Connell's won't get a Baracuta at Press.

A bit of a mark-up for merchandise at Press is okay, I think. The extra bucks for a Smathers and Branson or Leatherman belt isn't too troubling. It's as if you're paying extra to buy the thing then and there, rather than wait for it to arrive.

But well over $100 extra for a cotton jacket! No, no, no!
$363 for an O'Connells Baracuta.

Eddie#49

Starting Member
I was considering an O'Connells Baracuta, I would like to order one, but am having a hard time justifying $365.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

drpeter

Ben Silver was selling a winter version of the Grenfell baracuta style jacket for $395.
About five years ago, I got a dark blue wool version of the Grenfell Harrington jacket, made in England, for around $300 on sale at Ben Silver. The following year I bought a house brand maroon wool Canadian-made Harrington jacket, on sale again from Ben Silver, for around $275. They have both been excellent garments. That said, $400 for a cotton version seems very high, although O'Connell's prices are also up there, perhaps a little less than J Press's.

Last edited:

drpeter

I think the quality of clothes made in Asia and other places is improving, and the prices usually are lower compared to US-made or UK-made items. My only concern is when the prices get to be too high for the clothes from the East! However, it is possible that companies are paying higher wages and other benefits to the workers abroad -- which is a good thing -- and so have to raise prices.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I think the quality of clothes made in Asia and other places is improving, and the prices usually are lower compared to US-made or UK-made items. My only concern is when the prices get to be too high for the clothes from the East! However, it is possible that companies are paying higher wages and other benefits to the workers abroad -- which is a good thing -- and so have to raise prices.
I agree there are very high quality clothes to be had from the East. I think the Orvis Ultimate Khakis, for example, are every bit as fine as Bill's. Their pricing is slightly better as well. Of course the retailer that has goods manufactured overseas has the ultimate control over materials and construction, and sadly they do not always exercise that power as scrupulously as they ought.

My family bought me the Ben Silver Harrington for Father’s Day. I love it.

As for made in China clothing, I prefer to keep my money as close to home as possible. It is worth a 10%-15% premium for me to help keep Americans working and sales and income taxes rolling into local governments for schools and infrastructure vs my funding the building of concentration camps in western China or funding their blue water navy.

But that is just me….

Cheers,

BSR

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
My family bought me the Ben Silver Harrington for Father’s Day. I love it.

As for made in China clothing, I prefer to keep my money as close to home as possible. It is worth a 10%-15% premium for me to help keep Americans working and sales and income taxes rolling into local governments for schools and infrastructure vs my funding the building of concentration camps in western China or funding their blue water navy.

But that is just me….

Cheers,

BSR
This is a very succinct and eloquent making of both the case for buying MiUSA and for not buying MiC, probably the most direct and pithy case I have read. Thank you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange