LouB

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Forgive me if this has been posted already - I've been traveling for a couple of weeks and havent been on the Forum much.

The Walmart in Summerville, SC had a rack with brown and grey HT sportcoats. They were just under $75 and included a wooden HT hanger. The HT patch appeared to be about 3" x 4" and was affixed to the right inside of the jacket.

Anybody else seen these at a WM?

TweedyDon

Connoisseur
It seems that they're being tested in select stores only, according to my information. Decent construction but made in Bangladesh. I'd like to see one!

TSWalker

Not available at Walmart.com, definitely select stores only, I'm guessing letter sizes but can't confirm or deny that just yet. More details here.

WalmartTweedSaleRack_zps83f7f783.jpg

LouB

I should have spent more time looking at them (sizing, etc.), but I was running out of time. The shoulders were padded, but not grossly so. They didn't look too bad.

dorji

I can't link all the pages I would like to right now, but those look suspiciously like the ones from https://www.harristweedscotland.com/our-jackets/

T
hose of you who were around a couple years ago will remember the Buyout of HT by that English guy- there is a 3 part BBC documentary somewhere. Someone who knows oughtta link it up- I remember I was looong but interesting. Anyway long story short the guy reduced the brand down to four pattern, tried to market the heck out of them, produced huge amounts of the jackets, then couldn't sell.

Bet these are those. Note the hanger style and logo.

Nice true HT. The 5th pattern is very nice as well (looks like they are doing about 10 now). OCBD posted a beautiful southwick jacket recently in #5.

*I could be dead wrong about this, but doubt it.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I wonder if these could be left over jackets from those Haggas had them made up in Asia when he was trying to take complete control of the Harris Tweed market? He was never very good at selling them.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Well, if you spent $75 on one that was as close a fit as you could and then took it to a reliable tailor you'd have a right decent knockabout for under $200. Not an easy thing to beat.

LouB

Yes, but not the standard label. The orb and cross were much larger. The whole design looked much more modern.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.