DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Hello all,

This is my first post here. Maybe one day, with all of your help, I will be dapper :). Anyhow, I am getting married and am trying to determine what tie I will wear (and then, of course, I need to find a pocket square too). Here's what I'm planning so far:

I will be wearing a dark blue birdseye suit. The color is lighter/brighter than navy, but it's in no way a bright blue... definitely a very dark shade of blue. I will be wearing a white shirt with it and I will be wearing oxblood shoes and belt. My goal: build a look that is, classy, elegant and that has personality/style/sophistication to it but also is not too too bold (i.e. orange tie and blue pocket square is out).

As for ties, I am considering either this grenadine from Chipp:
https://www.chippneckwear.com/grey-grenadine-tie/

Or this champagne paisley tie:
https://www.thetiebar.com/product/TIE-0639-0205

I was also thinking about a wine grenadine but I feel like that's a bit too business-like for this setting. I welcome your feedback on these options, and especially welcome any suggestions for pocket squares that would pair well with each of these ties (paired separately, of course... don't need one for both).

If I'm making a bad decision with the ties, I welcome any feedback on those as well. Thank you to everyone in advance for your thoughts!

Woofa

Hello and welcome to the forums and congrats on your wedding. For me the Chipp grenadine is nicer and will be much more versatile after the wedding. Also Paul Winston of Chipp neckties is a member here and always helpful.
as for pocket square you might be best off with plain white linen. Show us some options you are thinking of but keep them somber and members will definitely chime in.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Welcome to AAAC and, echoing member Woofa, congratulations on your wedding. I concur with Woofa on the white linen pocket square recommendation, but I prefer the Tie Bar's light champagne paisley tie. It just seems to be more in keeping with the occasion. I also recommend you not be so quick to discount "a wine grenadine tie option. You would have apple opportunity to wear said tie for other events, post wedding. ;)

smmrfld

Welcome! Not a fan of the Tie Bar choice at all, but grenadine is terrific. Check out samhober.com for a huge variety of grenadines, which can be customized to exact length and width; these are the best value in the market IMO. I'd go with something with a bit more contrast with your shirt, and definitely a white linen pocket square.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Hello and welcome to the forums and congrats on your wedding. For me the Chipp grenadine is nicer and will be much more versatile after the wedding. Also Paul Winston of Chipp neckties is a member here and always helpful.
as for pocket square you might be best off with plain white linen. Show us some options you are thinking of but keep them somber and members will definitely chime in.
I agree with this 100%, but suspect we might agree that "dignified" would be a better word in this context than "somber."

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Thank you all for the kind words and warm welcomes shared so far. I really appreciate all of the input/suggestions and I'm glad to see that I'm not waaaaaay off the mark with my initial thoughts. I feel like I may want a grenadine tie or two for the future anyway, and the tie bar option is pretty affordable, so I may end up buying one of each and seeing which I prefer in person.

But since I haven't made up my final mind yet, any and all continued feedback is welcome.

I do really like the idea of the white linen pocket square, so thank you for that suggestion. I've been thinking that a white square would be a great option but I was initially worried that it might be a bit too plain. But seems like it would be perfect given that all of you agree it's a great way to go.

With that in mind, could you kind gents please point me to a nice white linen pocket square that I should consider? I don't know much about pocket squares and don't know what makes a good/bad white linen one... I'd like something nice, but certainly don't want to break the bank on this item either given that it's just a basic white square so would love something affordable but still good quality that will do the job nicely.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@DapperOneDay - Welcome to our Community! You're in very good hands with the likes of the gentlemen that have already provided their feedback, and the others that will.

@paul winston (Chip Neckwear) - do you by chance have any first time purchase discounts for this fine fella?

You may find other helpful information in some other threads about pocket squares like this one:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/matching-pocket-square-to-shoe-colour.148802/

Here's a search you can perform to find other pocket square related threads:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/com...cket+square&t=post&c[title_only]=1&o=date&g=1

If you're so inclined, please keep us posted and feel free to share your final outfit with us.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

CLTesquire

Either will work but I much prefer the grey.

You actually have a lot of options for a wedding tie. Small motifs or interesting waves in silver/white/black are perfect. Such as these:

https://www.samhober.com/neckties/formal-wedding/formal-wedding-silk-ties/

A black/white or navy/white POW tie always works as does a shepherd’s check tie in either of those color combinations. Both are traditional wedding ties.

https://shop.vandafineclothing.com/products/navy-cream-prince-of-wales?_pos=2&_sid=24fc330ac&_ss=r

https://shop.vandafineclothing.com/products/navy-shepherds-check?_pos=8&_sid=6ed28c14b&_ss=r

You’re already departing from the traditional with a lighter than navy suit and non black shoes so you have license to wear what you want.

I would say no to the wine grenadine. Reddish tones on shoes, belt, and tie just seems a bit much to me.

White linen pocket square should be your first, second, and third choice here.

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
@mikel - really appreciate the warm welcome and wishes, not to mention all of the great information in your post.

@CLTesquire - thanks for your thoughts. The POW is a great idea... one of my favorite shirt patterns, but I hadn't thought of a tie in that pattern for this outfit. I'll have to take that under consideration as well. Lots to think about!

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
Personally, I would do a white solid cotton pocket square rather than white solid linen. The cotton is appropriate for everything the linen is appropriate for but the cotton (which is just as subtle as the linen) looks much crisper and is much nicer to look at and touch than the linen (which, in my opinion, is adequate at best to look at and touch).

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Personally, I would do a white solid cotton pocket square rather than white solid linen. The cotton is appropriate for everything the linen is appropriate for but the cotton (which is just as subtle as the linen) looks much crisper and is much nicer to look at and touch than the linen (which, in my opinion, is adequate at best to look at and touch).
And in the unlikely event some lady is in urgent need of a hankie you can gallantly pull it out and rescue her, as cotton is IMO more serviceable for this purpose than linen. Yes, I know this is hardly likely, but I raise it because it actually did happen to me.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I disagree. I find a linen handkerchief to look more crisp than cotton. I iron the linen pocket square flat, fold it, then iron it into the folded shape.

I always carry tissues with me because I find them superior to blow my nose with than a handkerchief for a variety of reasons, so touch of linen doesn't matter. But I still find linen very pleasant to the touch.

triklops55

I disagree. I find a linen handkerchief to look more crisp than cotton. I iron the linen pocket square flat, fold it, then iron it into the folded shape.

I always carry tissues with me because I find them superior to blow my nose with than a handkerchief for a variety of reasons, so touch of linen doesn't matter. But I still find linen very pleasant to the touch.
I'm with you. I prefer linen for use as pocket squares. It just has a more refined look to me than cotton.
I do carry a cotton handkerchief in my pocket in case I, or someone else, needs to use it.

TKI67

Congratulations!

That very grey grenadine from Chipp is precisely what I would have suggested. Chipp ties are lovely.

As to a suitable item for the pocket, a nicely ironed hankie would certainly look sharp. Just be sure it is a real hankie, not one of those prearranged things on cardboard. I, too, have offered hankies before, and appearing to have one but in reality having only cardboard would be harder to live down than a clip on bowtie! (Thank God my father insisted I learn to tie a bowtie and never countenanced clip-ons.) I shall spare you my thoughts on cotton or linen, but I will share that my all time favorite hankies were a stack of silk ones I inherited from my great grandfather. They made colds and allergies much more bearable.

For a pocket square I would point you to O'Connell's. Even though you have ruled out garish, there are a few with orange that would work. Avoid navy. It would fight with the dark blue. I like the lighter blue and white Liberty Tana Lawn a lot, but my pick would be the Drake cotton Noah's Ark. It is a very pale green and would work well with grey and dark blue as well as just being a cool bit of fabric.

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Alright... small update for everyone. I'm still on the fence about the tie, but I've settled on a Kent Wang white linen pocket square. I love the rolled edges and the price still seems reasonable... I hope I'll like it... seems like a great choice especially given the advice you all have shared. Now on to finalizing the tie!! I'll give it some more thought... we'll see!!

And @TKI67 - thanks for the suggestion on O'Connell's. Those two that you mentioned are gorgeous... I think I'm going to go with something a bit more traditional for my wedding day specifically, but I might be buying those and/or others from O'Connell's for more general wear... they have some gorgeous options, it seems!

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Ok friends - I have some good news and some bad news. Let's start with the good news.

The good news is... two BEAUTIFUL Hober ties arrived today in my mailbox. One silver grenadine fina and one burgundy grenadine piccola. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the two fabrics... I had read on some other threads that they are very similar, but in hand, I must say.... they are quite drastically different, at least to my eye. And they are both stunning. I don't know if it will prove to be true, but the piccola feels like it will be more durable. But it's not like I'll be wearing either "rough" so I expect to get many, many years out of both of them. They are truly stunning. I've never seen ties like these to be honest... they have tremendous weight and drape gorgeously. But they are still light and supple. All I can say is... the Hober hype is definitely justified, at least in my opinion.

Now, the less good (perhaps bad) news....? My Kent Wang white linen pocket square arrived. It's beautiful. I love the texture, feel, and look of it. The problem is... my suit was made custom and now when I put the pocket square in it, the one side of the jacket bows open at the middle of the lapel, near the height of the pocket square. I'm not sure what to do about this... I'm afraid I may have to ditch the pocket square because it's making my jacket fit terribly. I did a presidential/TV fold very carefully to make sure I got it right... not sure where I went wrong but something is definitely not right here... any feedback is welcome.

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Are you saying that the pocket square is so large that it affects the closure of the jacket? Can you show us some pics with and without the square?

Yep of course. Here you go. Please pardon that I'm not wearing the white shirt I'll be wearing on my big day... this is just what i had on today so I put the jacket over it. Really curious to hear your feedback... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I seem to be unable to use the pocket square here... it's the standard white linen one from Kent Wang. Absolutely gorgeous aside from it changing up my lapel line.... :rolleyes:

(and I'll add that it actually looks worse in person.... but hopefully you can get an idea from the pictures...)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4a.jpg

Woofa

Does the pocket stop short like that? Maybe a result of being custom but I am pretty sure my pockets are deeper to allow for a normal sized square. If so perhaps you need a very thin and/or small square for that jacket. I have attached three separate jackets by three different makers and the pocket is much deeper than what your looks like.
EF37AB5E-19C9-4266-AAA8-8F4189B8FC02.jpeg
B01D997D-E944-464B-807F-37D03458E220.jpeg
BF7D2F77-7D6C-4A49-AA18-49B902174901.jpeg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.