DapperOneDay

Starting Member
@Woofa - thank you so much for those pictures. That helped a TON. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit it, but your pictures led me to realize that there were a few stitches that needed to be released inside the pocket. Now that this is done, the pocket is just a bit over 6" deep just like yours... before it was so shallow that I had to fold the pocket square in half one extra time which obviously doubled the thickness and created the large bulge.

With the pocket released, now, it's much better. It's not perfect... i.e. I can definitely still see a slightly difference in how the lapel sits vs. the other size, but if it weren't so bad the first time I might not have noticed it this time or at least if I did I probably wouldn't have thought too hard about it....

In a way I'm surprised that it changes the lapel drape at all, but given the choice of no pocket square and perfect fit or pocket square and ~90+% perfect fit, I'm think going to go with pocket square because it really does make the outfit look nicer....

jackmccullough

Honors Member
Welcome, and congratulations!

Also, congratulations on having the good instinct to avoid the matching tie and handkerchief--at least nobody had to steer you away from that.

I agree with the white PS, which will look good with a crisp white shirt.

As for the tie, I would go with something with a bit of color to it, so burgundy, as you mention in one of your later posts, might be ideal. In recent years I've noticed a trend to very light colored ties, like the champagne paisely in your first post. I think they always look washed out, so I wouldn't go in that direction.

DapperOneDay

Starting Member
Welcome, and congratulations!

Also, congratulations on having the good instinct to avoid the matching tie and handkerchief--at least nobody had to steer you away from that.

I agree with the white PS, which will look good with a crisp white shirt.

As for the tie, I would go with something with a bit of color to it, so burgundy, as you mention in one of your later posts, might be ideal. In recent years I've noticed a trend to very light colored ties, like the champagne paisely in your first post. I think they always look washed out, so I wouldn't go in that direction.

Thank you, Jack. I appreciate your suggestions. It's funny how sometimes people go with the matching tie/pocket square combo... in fact, Tie Bar on their website have a champagne paisley pocket square listed with that same tie (that's where I got it) in the exact same print with the words "a perfect pairing" or something to that effect. I couldn't believe it... I hope nobody takes their advice on that one!

The two ties that I received from Sam Hober are absolutely magnificent... wine grenadine and a silver grenadine. I believe I'll go with one of those... haven't made up my final mind yet. But I do know what you mean about darker colors/something with color looking nice.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.