Help Picking Ties

jjskywlker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
So I'd like to redo a portion of my tie collection. I'm looking to go for a more conservative/classic look. Out of this list, I'm looking to pick up about 6 new ties. Please provide opinions on your favorites of the spread.

Blue:

Gold:

Red:
123*4

Green:

Last edited:

clothofgold

Red #1 is a no brainer - classic and useful.
Same for Blue #8.
Personally, I really like Blue #3 too.
That's about it for me though. If really pressed, I could find a place for blue ## 4 & 5, but I'd just as soon not.

sowilson

Blue: 1 (have), 2, 6, 8 (have)
Gold: 1
Red: 1 (have), 2, 3 (good to have one red paisley)
Green:
I would (did) go with

StephenRG

Honors Member
Blue #1
Blue #6
Gold #3
Red #1
Red #2
Green #1

FWIW, for myself, not being particularly conservative nor American preppy, I wouldn't choose blue #1, and red #1 and #2, and would choose bluie #5 and red #3. (I'm not a huge fan of paisley but I do like these.)

DownByTheRiverSide

My favorites of the bunch, which may not be totally conservative . . . (I'm so very conservative everywhere else, I allow myself a bit of room with ties.)

Blue # 4

Gold # 1 & # 3

Red # 1 & # 2

Green # 1 & # 3

Last edited:

midtownmainer

Where are these ties from if you don't mind me asking (I really like the look of blue #4 and green #3)? Personally, if you are going conservative I would second clothofgold. Red #1 and blue #8 are standards.
I however am a sucker for paisley.

Holdfast

Honors Member
The only tie I actually like from your selection is Blue 8. Maybe Green 3 too. Some of the others are really unpleasant to my eye, to be honest.

However, assuming YOU like all of them then going by your stated desire for a "a more conservative/classic look", I suppose you could pick: Blues 1 & 8, Red 1 and maybe Green 3 and Blue 7 for your more extravagant days.

ajo

Blue #3

Red #4 I have a similar tie to #1 and its useful for any business or casual occasion.IMHO.

Gold #3

Green #2

Last edited:

jjskywlker

The reason I stated I'm going for a more conservative look is that most of my ties now are pretty elaborate. My main go-to's are a purple and navy square pattern Canali, pink herringbone Theory, a gold Brioni with a pattern of sapphire gems, a burgundy Ike Behar with pink diamond shapes, and a handful of assorted Michael Kors paisley's and others that aren't what I'd consider standard issue "plain" ties. Though one of my favorites is a navy Robert Talbott with thin red and tan diagonal stripes, so I'd like to build up some more understated ones.

philidor

Whatever you do, do not Google conservative ties, or you would get a completely different definition of "conservative" than you wanted:

https://www.zazzle.com/conservative+ties

Although there are ties on the far-left that are just as awful. Methinks the tie that says "Conservative" will be popular amongst hipsters for ironic and sarcastic effect. The ties are also made of polyester, which violates a key canon of style. They also violate the canons that design shouldn't be too large, and that they also shouldn't be legible. Also, many are outright profane and insulting (e.g.: "Conservatives suck"). A tie is not an appropriate place to make a political statement, and talking religion or politics is bad form anyways, thus violating a basic social canon in addition to the various canons of good taste.

If you know anybody that goes to a tea party (they count as going slumming) then I would recommend those to them.

You are better off looking for Navy and/or burgundy.

philidor

So I'd like to redo a portion of my tie collection. I'm looking to go for a more conservative/classic look. Out of this list, I'm looking to pick up about 6 new ties. Please provide opinions on your favorites of the spread.

Blue:
12 457

Red:
123*4

These I would recommend.

philidor

Green:

Is also good.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
If you're looking to truly get more simple, understated, and easy-to-wear/easy-to-pair ties in the wardrobe, why not get some solids? Of those your posted, I'd be inclined towards blues 1, 6, and 8, and red 1 and 2.

jjskywlker

I will consider some solids, just not from TheTieBar. I just grabbed pics from their site, but I don't care for the solid colors they offer, and all are pretty much all herringbone patterned, so not much variety of selection.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange