Woofa

So I thrifted this beautiful Sulka reversible coat. Half wool and half angora rabbit hair. Reversible. The thing is it has no buttons. But it has button holes in both sides as if the buttons were a separate item similar to cuff links I have seen. I have attached pictures below. Anyone know of a coat like this? Is the answer to get two buttons attached by a thread?
Thanks.
20181026_080852.jpg
20181026_080906.jpg

Matt S

Connoisseur
Could you share some photos of the entire coat? It's difficult to tell what kind of coat it is with only close-ups.

The buttons are removable so it can be fastened in a reversible manner. I'm sure it originally came with buttons, but now you'll have to make your own removable buttons.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Could you share some photos of the entire coat? It's difficult to tell what kind of coat it is with only close-ups.

The buttons are removable so it can be fastened in a reversible manner. I'm sure it originally came with buttons, but now you'll have to make your own removable buttons.
Member Woofa's question intrigued me, as this does look to be a lovely coat. As a dim memory, I seem to recall nice coat buttons with a metal haft, that for the other with side a folding holder that could be pushed through the opposing unused button hole and then secured. I'm sure it or a similar device still must exist, but couldn't locate anything like it from several button suppliers, including Bennos. All I found were small, cheap looking buttons that resembled the studs used for some tab collars.

I think Matt's suggestion could work well. There are attractive horn coat buttons that could be sewn together with enough slack, and that slack bound together in the middle so that one button could be buttoned through the unused hole, and the other securely available to be buttoned normally.

A project for the handy. (Not me! :() I'd let a pro do it.

Searching_Best_Fit

So I thrifted this beautiful Sulka reversible coat. Half wool and half angora rabbit hair. Reversible. The thing is it has no buttons. But it has button holes in both sides as if the buttons were a separate item similar to cuff links I have seen. I have attached pictures below. Anyone know of a coat like this? Is the answer to get two buttons attached by a thread?
Thanks.
Since this is a reversible jacket with button closure, a logical guess is that originally the jacket comes with a set of special buttons, or links for that matter, so that you can button it up using either side. It seems that those buttons were lost.

The quickest work-around is by making these special buttons. I would fancy a guess by combining a 20mm/32L (suit jacket button) with a 12-13mm (shirt button) button. Sew it like you would on to the clothes and leave enough slacks for the shank. Once done, you can use it like a cuff-link. Furthermore, measure the thickness of the fabric to determine the size of shank required so that you can actually use the make-up button.

Or you can use the silk-knot cufflinks to provide enough tension for closure. Lots of options to think about.

Matt S

Connoisseur
My idea would be to sew two properly sized buttons together on a long shank to have a different option for different buttons to go with each side. Since both side have full-sized buttonholes, you don't need to sew a smaller button to the back. I would fear that sewing a smaller button to the back would cause the button to fall out of the hole because it is sized for a large button. But I don't want to give too many ideas without knowing what kind of jacket this is.

Last edited:

Searching_Best_Fit

My idea would be to sew two properly sized buttons together on a long shank to have a different option for different buttons to go with each side. Since both side have full-sized buttonholes, you don't need to sew a smaller button to the back. I would fear that sewing a smaller button to the back would cause the button to fall out of the hole because it is sized for a large button. But I don't want to give too many ideas without knowing what kind of jacket this is.
That is legitimate fear about the button being too small, and I like the idea of having two different sets of buttons with different look.

Using the same sized buttons make more sense.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
+1. Sounds like an excellent suggestion.

Woofa

I guess it might be more properly termed a shacket like Mike said. There certainly could have been buttons on both sides which were all carefully removed. No sign of them but could be.
I don't think I would be interested in removable "double buttons" so I think I need to look for two sets of matching buttons or ones in a color to match both sides.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Both leather-twist and metal buttons hava a shank (loop) on the rear. These can be pushed through the unused hole and secured with a short cotter pin. It doesn,t take long and you've only three buttons to fiddlle with.

Certain uniform jackets that are meant to be washed use this feature so the buttons can be removed prior to wash.

(Like my spiffy white starched double-breasted with removable blue shoulder boards jacket that I was forced to wear as s hotel aide when 17 at the still-there Colony Hotel in Kennebunkport, Maine.)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.