"High End" loafers for walking

awbyrd

Hey, gang!

Was looking to buy a new pair of loafers/travel shoes. Something that can transition from airport, able to be slipped off on long flights as needed, and could be put with chinos or jeans, or even a suit in a pinch. Hopefully something that would also figure well with lots of walking or long days on one's feet.

What has everyone's experience been with the lug soles, like Ferragamo and Gucci put on some of their moccasin style loafers? Had also considered Mephisto, but they're, quite frankly, hideous. While I know many here love the AE Wilbert, I do not. I'm an Alden fan, but the steel shank in the All Weather Walkers means that even with PreCheck, I have to remove my shoes at airport security because they set off the scanner. I've also heard concerns on this forum about Allen Edmonds new "Road Warrior" series, in that the leather might not be up to snuff.

Which brings me back to my previous question. How comfortable are the Ferragamos with lug soles for lots of walking. They're certainly easy to slip out of as needed? Do they wear well? I've owned Gucci loafers before, but only in the thin leather soles, never with lugs.

Thanks for the insight, guys!

awbyrd

...and based on this forum, stumbled across Rancourt as well. Thoughts on those? I typically wear a 10E.

Concordia

Elite Member
Vass. Priced like Alden with the collapse of the Euro, but hand made, and with more choices of material. At least as good for walking as loafing. Famously good leather soles-- sturdy as hell with no steel shank.

Just took some loafers in cordovan in their F last, wide (F) fitting. Rubber toe taps to slow down wear without setting off metal detectors. l also have oxblood calf in 3636 (regular width). Both good-- go with what will fit you best.

In the same general vein, Weston's are supposed to be very fine.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
I had a pair of Gucci loafers with lug soles for about 5 minutes - they're as horrible and ridiculously thick. Back in the day the lug soles were thinner and I suspect much better, but those days are gone. Stick with leathers soles with Gucci.

AE has a couple of their Italian made loafers with rubber soles which would be a good combination of style and fit with tougher soles. I had a pair of the Firenze loafers and they were great, except my pair was too big for me (I suggest going down 1/2 size with these). The Arezzo looks like it's a rubber soled version of the Verona - if so, then it would be a good choice for a more traditional bit loafer design.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF55106_1_40000000001_-1?style=55106

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange