Historic Artifact - J. Press Lilly Pulitzer blazer

Tom Buchanan

Like the old Reeces Peanut Butter Cup commercials used to say "two great tastes that taste great together", I thought this J. Press Lilly Pulitzer jacket was interesting. This is from the first incarnation of Lilly back in the 60s or 70s.

Someone here recently posted a J. Press made suit with an Eddie Jacobs label in it. Did J. Press used to have its own factories, or did they just sell excess to other vendors? I know that Chipp's Mr. Winston said they used to buy some of the more exotic inventory of Brooks and J. Press to sell to their more adventurous client base.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
I have no idea why anything from Lily Pulitzer has ever been considered Trad. It's about twelve notches beyond GTH and just plain ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titus_A

I have no idea why anything from Lily Pulitzer has ever been considered Trad. It's about twelve notches beyond GTH and just plain ugly.

I had never seen men's clothes from them before. Some of their dresses are quite pretty. That jacket is a bit much, though.

Ed Reynolds

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I had never seen men's clothes from them before. Some of their dresses are quite pretty. That jacket is a bit much, though.

FLOWER POWER! I can certainly see some Yalie in the 60s rockin that thing to a party with some Skull and Bones.

C. Sharp

When I saw that jacket I smiled. I smiled in awareness that somewhere in the hazy INTERNET world at the cross roads of the mythical realms of of Tradsville and Ivyland, virtual town meetings will be called. There will be much hand wringing and apoplexy, calls for the heretical to stand in judgment. I am almost sure there have been readers of this forum who have lived blissfully thinking that J. Press represent the "Cotton Mather " fringe and that "Lilly" is surely Satan incarnate. The thought that they might be one in the same might be to much.:icon_smile_wink:

Bandit44

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Someone must have wanted it badly, because $305 is insane for that thing.

Sartre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot defend the jacket, as I would not wear it. And I suppose when we make up a word like trad, we can debate endlessly what does and does not qualify, but in my generation and the generation of my father, resort wear like this was de rigueur among the Ivy-preppy classes.

It surely is many notches above GTH but the fact that it is "just plain ugly" is beside the point. I daresay a pretty large majority of the population would say the same thing about green corduroys with little navy whales embroidered on them...

Corcovado

I cannot defend the jacket, as I would not wear it. And I suppose when we make up a word like trad, we can debate endlessly what does and does not qualify, but in my generation and the generation of my father, resort wear like this was de rigueur among the Ivy-preppy classes.

It surely is many notches above GTH but the fact that it is "just plain ugly" is beside the point. I daresay a pretty large majority of the population would say the same thing about green corduroys with little navy whales embroidered on them...

I would not be caught dead in either that ghastly jacket or green corduroys with little navy whales on them, nor any other garment decorated in a whale motif.

BorderBandit

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Dear Lord, I'M colour blind and that made MY eyes hurt!!

I'm with you 97% on this:

The other 3% is that I've found on eBay for a steep discount some of their silk belts. What's the right style D-Ring or ribbon belts? Either way, those belts have the same GTH motif on a lot of them that some people, like me, would rather wear than the whole kit and kaboodle of GTH pants. That 3% right there is the only and only thing I'd consider wearable.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.