FiscalDean

Recently went to a Bonefish Grill in Florida and had their house sald. This was probably the best salad I've had in a chain restaurant. I'm interested in hearing from other forum members; what is the best house salad you've had?

Woofa

Clarification. Do you mean those places where you get a salad as part of a meal (for free) or are we talking about places where you have to buy the house salad and it is just one of their options but often has a specialty dressing?

In the first instance, I have to admit that I like the salad at Olive Garden. True, I dont like much else but it is one of my kids favorite restaurants and we sometimes have to go. I like their endless salad and in fact, we often buy the salad dressing from the supermarket for the kids (low cal version) to have on their nightly dinner salad.

In the second, I have generally enjoyed almost any house salad from a nicer steak house. Del Frisco's comes to mind as we actually had our wedding dinner there and my wife and I go back every year on our anniversary. Not cheap mind you but is listed as a "House Salad."

LordSmoke

I haven't been in a long time, but I recall the fried oyster salad was outstanding.

On another odd note, once I went and ordered one of their fancy martinis before dinner. I am not sure if it was the drink or me, but i started feeling woozy and barely made it to the trash can outside before projectile vomiting. Staff were chasing me thinking I might be skipping out on a meal. Probably not the image they would have liked at the front of their restaurant.:icon_pale: I did recover and went on to enjoy them meal. That incident might explain why I have gone less frequently in recent years.

Woofa

I think he was commenting on my thread and saying he meant house salads which are on the menu as a separate appetizer like item as opposed to the house salad which sometimes is served as part of a meal.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Recently went to a Bonefish Grill in Florida and had their house sald. This was probably the best salad I've had in a chain restaurant. I'm interested in hearing from other forum members; what is the best house salad you've had?
Good heavens man, won't you tell us what was so good about it ?

Here's part of the salad menu from a place I like in San Diego, Old Venice:

ORGANIC ARUGULA
pear, gorgonzola, roasted pecan, lemon, olive oil, parmesan
WICKED CAESAR
romaine, crouton, parmesan
WALNUT GORGONZOLA
roma tomato, caramelized onion, red potato, caramelized walnut, imported gorgonzola
bleu cheese vinaigrette
GREEK SALAD
feta, roma tomato, cucumber, greek olive, pepperoncini, red onion
(red potato, yellow raisin, walnut available upon request)
italian vinaigrette
ENSALADA VENICIA
caramelized walnut, yellow raisin, feta, cucumber, pineapple, roma tomato
pineapple balsamic vinaigrette

You can tell it is a very classy place since they don't put any zeros after the dollar amount.

:great:

Seriously though it is a great restaurant.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
I think he was commenting on my thread and saying he meant house salads which are on the menu as a separate appetizer like item as opposed to the house salad which sometimes is served as part of a meal.
Well, there is nothing better about a salad one pays extra for.

It's always better that the salad is included.

A GOOD salad!!

FiscalDean

Good heavens man, won't you tell us what was so good about it ?

The combinationb of ingredients was somewhat unusual but delicious. The recipe is as follows:

Romaine, cherry tomatoes, heart of palm, kalamata olives, sunflower seeds and toasted pine nuts.

Bonefish Grill Citrus Herb Vinaigrette

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sugar (could use splenda)
3 tablespoons water (I added a bit more water after tasting it)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Whisk everything in a bowl
Microwave for a minute
Whisk for one minute
Cover and chill for one hour before serving.

Woofa

There is a Cuban restaurant in Tampa Florida called Columbia which has been around since 1905 and they have a special 1905 Salad (not created until the 40's) which they list as one of America's top ten salads. I lived there for a number of years and can tell you that it is delicious. Here is the info copied from their website:

In the 1970s, this flavorful salad was the Columbia’s answer to the ubiquitous salad bar. Created by waiter Tony Noriega in the 1940s, it was adapted by the Columbia. The Columbia kitchen designed a new dressing that features Worcestershire sauce, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. When the president of Lea and Perrins heard that the Columbia was his biggest customer, he investigated and ate an Original “1905” Salad®. He soon discovered the salad’s delights for himself.

Salad Ingredients

4 cups iceberg lettuce, broken into 1 1/2" × 1 1/2" pieces
1 ripe tomato, cut into eighths
1/2 cup baked ham, julienned 2" × ⅛" (may substitute turkey or shrimp)
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, julienne 2" × ⅛"
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green Spanish olives
2 cups “1905” Dressing (see recipe below)
1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce®
1 lemon

Preparation

Combine lettuce, tomato, ham, Swiss cheese, and olives in a large salad bowl. Before serving, add “1905” Dressing, Romano cheese, Worcestershire, and the juice of 1 lemon. Toss well and serve immediately. Makes 2 full salads or 4 side salads.

“1905” Dressing

Ingredients

1/2 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
⅛ cup white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Salad Dressing Preparation

Mix olive oil, garlic, and oregano in a bowl with a wire whisk. Stir in vinegar, gradually beating to form an emulsion, and then season with salt and pepper. For best results, prepare 1 to 2 days in advance and refrigerate.

FiscalDean

There is a Cuban restaurant in Tampa Florida called Columbia which has been around since 1905 and they have a special 1905 Salad (not created until the 40's) which they list as one of America's top ten salads. I lived there for a number of years and can tell you that it is delicious. Here is the info copied from their website:

In the 1970s, this flavorful salad was the Columbia’s answer to the ubiquitous salad bar. Created by waiter Tony Noriega in the 1940s, it was adapted by the Columbia. The Columbia kitchen designed a new dressing that features Worcestershire sauce, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. When the president of Lea and Perrins heard that the Columbia was his biggest customer, he investigated and ate an Original “1905” Salad®. He soon discovered the salad’s delights for himself.

Salad Ingredients

4 cups iceberg lettuce, broken into 1 1/2" × 1 1/2" pieces
1 ripe tomato, cut into eighths
1/2 cup baked ham, julienned 2" × ⅛" (may substitute turkey or shrimp)
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, julienne 2" × ⅛"
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green Spanish olives
2 cups “1905” Dressing (see recipe below)
1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce®
1 lemon

Preparation

Combine lettuce, tomato, ham, Swiss cheese, and olives in a large salad bowl. Before serving, add “1905” Dressing, Romano cheese, Worcestershire, and the juice of 1 lemon. Toss well and serve immediately. Makes 2 full salads or 4 side salads.

“1905” Dressing

Ingredients

1/2 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
⅛ cup white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Salad Dressing Preparation

Mix olive oil, garlic, and oregano in a bowl with a wire whisk. Stir in vinegar, gradually beating to form an emulsion, and then season with salt and pepper. For best results, prepare 1 to 2 days in advance and refrigerate.
Sounds good.

FiscalDean

Most steakhouses have good wedge salads.
Veru true, I recall a visit to the Chalie Palmer Steakhouse in the Las Vegas Four Seasons hotel. They had an outstanding wedge sala with blue cheese. Sadly, that was the highlight of the entire meal. I have to say, this was the worst meal I've had at an expernsive steakhouse. The service was terrible, the waiters were condescending and my wife's steak was way over-cooked. The waiter said he'd talk to the chef. Not sure if he ever did but was told that the steak was perfectly acceptable. We complained to the corporate headquarters but never received a response. Never go back and will tell everyone I know to avoid this place.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.