TKI67

Howard, it depends on the salad for me. Some of my favorites include:

On a very simple salad of only delicate greens like Bibb lettuce, a white wine and olive oil vinagrette.

On a mixed salad with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, and any or all of hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, pepperoncini, chopped egg, crumbled bacon, etc. a red wine and olive oil vinaigrette, crumbled bleu or Roquefort being a welcome addition.

On a taco salad equal parts salsa casera, sour cream, and rice vinegar.

On a wedge salad half chunky bleu and half ranch.

On a composed salad like avocado, onion, bell pepper, and tomato a white wine and peanut oil vinaigrette with Dijon and plenty of grey salt.

On a chopped salad, thousand island.

On a fruit salad, honey mustard.

We also love Caesar with Cardini's with a little extra lemon and grated Parm.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
When it comes to salad dressing preferences, it is chunky bleu cheese nine times out of ten. The one time that it is not bleu cheese dressing, it's going to be Thousand Islands! ;)

memphislawyer

Woofa,. I have been there, but the one at St. Armaunds Circle in Sarasota. It is a fantastic salad. They sell the salad dressing there. I will have to take your recipe and try this at home. Thank you for posting that. This salad is probably the only time I have remembered a salad to the point of knowing where I had it.

TKI67

For a salad treat I'd love the spring greens, hazel nuts, crumbled blue cheese, and vinaigrette salad at Kyllo's in Lincoln City.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Year back, when I was working out of the Federal Building in downtown Chicago, there was a restaurant called the Salad Bowl. It was mostly a carryout operation. You entered, picked up clear plastic, disposable salad bowl (small, medium, large and you have got to be kidding sizes), then went to a salad bar and assembled your own salad, with whatever fixins and dressings appealed to you and then took it to a counter for a guy/gal behind the bar to add whatever special meat and/or fruit toppers on your salad. I lunched there on more than a few occasions. Wonder if they were still open, pre pandemic, or if they will reopen post pandemic? ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Year back, when I was working out of the Federal Building in downtown Chicago, there was a restaurant called the Salad Bowl. It was mostly a carryout operation. You entered, picked up clear plastic, disposable salad bowl (small, medium, large and you have got to be kidding sizes), then went to a salad bar and assembled your own salad, with whatever fixins and dressings appealed to you and then took it to a counter for a guy/gal behind the bar to add whatever special meat and/or fruit toppers on your salad. I lunched there on more than a few occasions. Wonder if they were still open, pre pandemic, or if they will reopen post pandemic? ;)
We had a couple of those here in Portland. Whether or not we still do is unknown.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.