10gallonhat

I saw some of these Barker Black slippers at Neimans today:

I liked them a lot but threw them down when I saw the $900 tag. I have to admit the insole was incredibly comfortable though and if I had more money to burn I probably would have bought them. My male friends also like them a lot but my mom (who usually dresses very well) said not to buy them, ever, because "real people don't wear stuff like that and you'll have maybe two events per year where you can actually wear them." I have a lot of things I could wear them WITH, but she's right in that I can't think of many occasions on which I'd actually wear them. However, I've never bought velvet slippers before and they might be a lot more versatile than I think.

I looked at some online and I really like these Stubbs & Woottons:

The price is pretty reasonable but they don't look nearly as comfortable as the Barker Blacks (I couldn't find any brands that offer that plush-looking insole), although the color is a lot nicer and thus would make them easier to wear. Or I could just not get any slippers and get these loafers instead:

I've been wanting an "out-there" casual shoe and was planning to pick up the purple loafers until I started looking at slippers. Now I'm undecided. What do you all think?

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
If you host parties, real social events regularly, you might use them.

Otherwise, I'd listen to your mother!!

Personally, I thing horsebit loafers are OTT, don't get me started on those!!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
I would suggest that you look that at the web site for Shipton and Heneage (www.shiptonandheneage.com, IIRC) for velvet slippers, but also I would suggest you seriously consider where and how often you would wear them. Were you to wear them as house slippers, that would be fine, but for social purposes, their use might be severely limited.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
Were you to wear them as house slippers, that would be fine, but for social purposes, their use might be severely limited.
Personally I think that anyone who would spend $900 on a pair of house shoes has more money than sense. Don't get me wrong, I often wish that I had more money than sense, but even if I did I doubt that I would go that far.

Actually I'd probably buy another overpriced piece of metal for the Harley. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

DavidLeoThomas

Given that the primary use involves having people over to your home, I would think you can determine the number of chances you'll get to use them - and if you really want to wear the slippers, you can find excuses.

Epaminondas

I don't "FEEL" anything abut them - one way or the other. I think the ones you've shown are overpiced and I have no objection to velvet slippers, in gneral, and, in fact, own probably too many pairs.

jamgood

Elite Member
Feel about velvet slippers?

One begins gently orbiting hind quarters with one's three longest digits then lightly stroking the supple inner waist and teasing the outer and inner tongue twixt thumb and forefingeral orbits - finish with a naughty but arousing flicker of the toal area.

(if'n there's a SAKS Off-5th nearby there is a remote chance of finding a pair of Edward Green suede Albert slippers with fox head and crossed femur bones hand embroidered in golden bullion-thread, for less than $500 - you can contribute your savings saving the world from itself)

camorristi

Suspended
You can only wear velvet slippers with a robe if you make at least $100,000,000 a year and own a jet and a yacht along with 2 Bentleys parked at your mansion. Other than that, you can wear them but it won't be original.

Saltydog

To paraphrase Frank Langella (playing Nixon in "Nixon and Frost") implied about Frost's bit loafer Gucci's (which I wear) I find them (velvet slippers) too effeminate. I go for a beat up well worn pair of topsiders for "houseshoes". Could a man wearing such footwear ever really think of himself as a real man again? I think not! Wouldn't even try them on:biggrin2: Well...perhaps if one happened to be an Italian Count--or fashion designer...

David_E

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Mickey Rourke swears by Alberts! You gonna laugh in a spaced-out MR's face, dissing his kicks, as he's standing outside a costume or period drama?
Sure, but I'll be prepared to run. He is still a big guy!
Actually I'm much to polite to laugh at anyone's choices in public, but I would be very confused and bewildered if I saw someone wearing something like this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.