chrstc

Inactive user
Hmm, sadly this is one of those threads that reminds me of why I visit this place much less than I used to. Velvet slippers are perfectly normal and worn by most of those with a love of the good things in life (shoes in particular of course) in this country. I suppose that, as ever, this might be one of those traditions that hasn't made it across the Atlantic, in much the same way that the well-dressed man in London dies a little when he sees a man in a suit and tassel loafers. Slippers with your own family crest or monogram on may well be considered OTT but, given that the British highstreet is full of mock velvet slippers, plains and embroidered designs most certainly are not. Wearing the slippers outside of your house is somewhat more unusual but, speaking as someone with a smoking jacket (in the proper rather than the American Heffner-style sense), wearing them in that context at home is entirely appropriate.

For the OP, 99% of slippers sold by decent retailers here or abroad are made by either Broadland as mentioned before or Bowhill and Elliott (the company that supplies the likes of Barker Black, Shipton and Heneage, WS Foster and son and New and Lingwood etc). Personally I don't think there's any difference in the quality of the manufacture of either company. Broadland will make you an odd pair (a size 9 for one foot and a 10 for the other etc) and work with bespoke lasts. However if you can get a great deal on B&E's in a retail store then they'll be exceptional too. I just got a pair of slight seconds from the B&E summer sale for £50.

https://www.bowhillandelliott.co.uk/Asp/ShowResults.asp?Type=Mens Slippers

and, as posted before,

https://www.broadlandslippers.co.uk/

The man to talk to about all slipper-related enquiries is the member here known as shoemaker. He knows more about the ins and outs of the Norwich slipper industry than just about anyone else and Norwich is to slippers what Northampton is to shoes.

Chris.

Peachey Carnehan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Save yourself $750 and get these from church's (£105 on their website):

Those Church's slippers are not only far less expensive, but far more handsome, and they come with the cachet of Church's. I really think you need to wear them with a very upscale smoking jacket or dinner jacket. If you wear them with the smoking jacket, I'd like to suggest you get the ultra-rare smoking cap too!

David_E

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
chrstc said:
"this might be one of those traditions that hasn't made it across the Atlantic"

I think you must be right... So much so that I really have no idea when and where they would be worn. Not something I will ever wear, and I doubt will ever become part of the essential wardrobe in the US, but I would be interested in a quick education on what place they have in a gent's closet. I just have nothing to go on - both I and my wife come from no-shoes-in-the-house traditions.

Claybuster

How do I feel about velvet slippers? I like them. I don't own any, but I like them. I hope to get a pair of black ones with the skull and cross sabers for Christmas. I will wear them around the house in my PJs and robe. And maybe even out every once and a while. I won't ever pay $900 for a pair, but I will pay $150-$200 for some. And just so you know...my family and I are active in rodeo, I pull the gates at rodeos and bull riding events, I wear cowboy boots just as often as I wear my AE's and Aldens and my son is a bull rider. I consider myself a manly man. I said all that to emphasize one should not equate one's masculinity with what is on one's foot.

With all due respect, it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks. If you like velvet slippers, get them...wear them...enjoy them...but, after you get them, you must post some pics and let us know what you think:icon_smile:

Last edited:

Saltydog

Hmm, sadly this is one of those threads that reminds me of why I visit this place much less than I used to.

The loss has been ours old boy...:icon_hailthee:

[QOUTE=chrstc;1138948]I suppose that, as ever, this might be one of those traditions that hasn't made it across the Atlantic, in much the same way that the well-dressed man in ondon dies a little when he sees a man in a suit and tassel loafers.

All the more reason for as many men as possible to wear tassle loafers with suits, ties from schools and regiments they were never affiliated with, and dip their crumpets in their tea. (Scratch the last one and make it donuts in coffee, we can only sacrifice so much in order to cause the Brits death pangs.)

Last edited:

chrstc

Inactive user
The loss has been ours old boy...:icon_hailthee:

All the more reason for as many men as possible to wear tassle loafers with suits, ties from schools and regiments they were never affiliated with, and dip their crumpets in their tea. (Scratch the last one and make it donuts in coffee, we can only sacrifice so much in order to cause the Brits death pangs.)
Ah yes the class clown...

If you want slippers for the house, I think this is a more sensible option: https://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonli...Shoe+Last=&currentpage=1&pageView=image&sort=
Yes those slippers are more "sensible" in much the same way that it would be more sensible to wear MBT trainers with our suits to work. After all, they're much better for our posture than those beautiful bespoke Fosters and Cleverleys.. Even if you don't like velvet slippers you could still go for a Grecian from B&E or Broadland or something of that sort. All the comfort and durability without what some of you seem to construe, wrongly, as the flashiness of velvet.

Given that the primary use involves having people over to your home, I would think you can determine the number of chances you'll get to use them - and if you really want to wear the slippers, you can find excuses.
Although I concede that the OP might well have been intending to wear his slippers purely for entertaining, their original purpose was, as the proper name for slippers will attest, as house shoes. You keep them in your hallway or shoe cupboard, come home, take off your normal shoes, put in the trees and then put on your slippers to relax in for the rest of the evening. You don't need an audience to wear them.

I think you must be right... So much so that I really have no idea when and where they would be worn. Not something I will ever wear, and I doubt will ever become part of the essential wardrobe in the US, but I would be interested in a quick education on what place they have in a gent's closet. I just have nothing to go on - both I and my wife come from no-shoes-in-the-house traditions.
See above but in addition the advantages to owning proper house shoes are that the quilted lining is supremely comfortable and replaceable (unlike that hideous faux fur in the AEs linked by Jovan I suspect), it is warm in the winter and yet breathable in the summer and therefore perfect for wearing with or without socks. They have hard leather soles meaning that they are as durable as a pair of every day shoes (though sadly they can't be resoled unless you buy a bespoke pair which has been pump-stitched rather than cemented) and, as should be most important on a forum like this, they're elegant.

Chris.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
eagle2250 said:
Has anyone mentioned Del Toro as a source for more reasonably priced Albert slippers? ::icon_scratch:
Low entry price, solid quality, good way to "see if you like them" before plunking down big money for a pair of Edward Greens or something.

Starch

If you're asking about wearing them in private inside your house:

Wear them; don't wear them; do whatever the hell you want. Some people regularly walk around home wearing nothing at all, others dressed as characters from children's literature (maybe ... I'm not entirely sure about that). It doesn't matter to anybody except you and whomever you live with. It'd be considerably more efficient to inquire about the latter simply by asking the relevant person or people (unless you live among a rotating cast in some sort of hostel or shelter ... in which case: no).

If you're asking about wearing them to public events: don't.

Blueboy1938

Advanced Member
I have some from Brooks that I got to go with my smoking jacket, also from Brooks, neither of which I have yet worn. I had some fantasy of having an "at home" black tie soirée that has yet to materialize.

I would never wear them out of the house. Period.

smujd

The interior on the Del Toros looks very low quality and uncomfortable judging from the pictures. Do you have some yourself?
I do and love them. Very comfortable. I often wear them with shorts, jeans, or chinos instead of loafers or topsiders. Del Toros are not the best in the market, but their cost and construction make a great loafer replacement.

Got GREAT service at PRL one day when I wandered in in my Del Toros with shorts and a polo. Sales staff must have figured anyone crazy enough to wear velvet slippers was also crazy enough to pay full price...

Great shoes. Love mine.

jamgood

Advanced Member
Got GREAT service at PRL one day when I wandered in in my Del Toros with shorts and a polo. Sales staff must have figured anyone crazy enough to wear velvet slippers was also crazy enough to pay full price...
Thirty five years ago it was not uncommon for Polo reps to wear multicolored fox hunt motif, not just fox head, Albert slippers in necktied & odd jacket tweediness when visiting retail accounts - contrived eccentricity.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.