DavidW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I believe the attachment is correct and useful. It does not cover the gap from the outside, it covers it from the inside. The left side of the collar should be on the outside, and the right side should be tucked inside. The throat attachment extends further inside and is then covering any gap between the collars as it sits over the right collar that is now inside, and under the left collar that is now outside. The strap and buckle allows you to adjust the length so that the "V" of the throat attachment is in the middle of any gap in the collars, based on the size of your neck. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but would provide some extra protection in severe weather.

MRR

The throat attachment extends further inside and is then covering any gap between the collars as it sits over the right collar that is now inside, and under the left collar that is now outside. The strap and buckle allows you to adjust the length so that the "V" of the throat attachment is in the middle of any gap in the collars, based on the size of your neck. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but would provide some extra protection in severe weather.
I'm willing to buy that. It makes it a lot less useful, since any water dripping down from the throat would not be directed to the outside of the coat, but it does at least sort of stay in that position with the collars up. It does require the latch to be unbuttoned, but I can at least consider the idea that the buttons are there to hold the latch in place when the coat is not being worn, but the user doesn't want to fully secure the latch in the back of the collar.

The only thing I disagree with is the "adjustable" part. The length of the collar makes it so that the latch must be at the final hole in order to get to the throat. Even with my small neck, it must be fully extended.

Assuming this is correct, and I have little reason to doubt it, Burberry took something difficult but useful and turned it into more difficult and practically useless.

Nnerling

Starting Member
I know this post is old, but the original poster summed up the problem perfectly and I don't want the same replies.

Burberry is still making this stupid flap and attaching it to the back of the collar.

It can't be for decoration because it looks rediculous when the collar is up, and when the collar is down this peice won't let the collar lay flat.

When I remove this peice, a buckle that holds it up hangs down in the back. It makes it look sloppy and cheap.

And it can't be practical because it's too short to cover anything. There is no possibility of attaching it to the front; it is too short.

I guess I'll take it back to the tailor and ask them to remove it... (I brought it in and they couldn't figure it out either).

It's extremely bad design regardless of what it is, it's a coat, I shouldn't need instructions... It's also insulting to have to pay to have a coat this expensive modified to remove superfluous material.

If anyone knows anything please help :)

Woofa

Welcome to the forums. Try and get us a picture of your coat but, the answer is that the throat latch is meant to be unbuttoned, reversed and then rebuttoned at which point is should be able to close a raised collar correctly in bad weather. It is reversed for storage out of the way under the collar when not used.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.