how is the quality of Paul Stuart?

constantmystery

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I seem to recall that Paul Stuart suits were made by Samuelsohn(Canada)and was wondering what the forum members thought of the quality. I think their catalogs are among the mose tasteful offerings I've seen in years, but have to admit I was disappointed by a tie and shirt I bought from them. The tie was an elegant pattern, but somehat skimpy on material as I had to re sew the back stictch (slipstitch?) after about two wearings. This was a first for me even when you include some much less expensive ties I own.
Also, I bought a Cooper collared sport shirt twill shirt. I thought the buttons were a little shoddy and the fabric a little coarser than I would have expected.
Having said that, I did find their thin gauge v neck sweaters to be incomparable. any thoughts?

KenR

Elite Member
Walking inside the store is a transporting experience. One of classiest joints in town. Don't (can't) shop there often but feel honored to even step foot in the place. Never had a problem with anything I bought. Other than that......it's OK.

cpac

I bought two suits at the now infamous Paul Stuart sale just over a year ago. Both have held up very well and have received compliments.

Now, for the price of retail, you might be able to do better, but I've no complaints about the quality.

DocJ

Starting Member
I just discovered that Paul Stuart makes extra-long suits. Hooray! :icon_cheers:

Does anyone know if Paul Stuart suits are fully canvassed? or are they fused? :confused:

When do they usually have their suits on sale?

qwerty

I just discovered that Paul Stuart makes extra-long suits. Hooray! :icon_cheers:

Does anyone know if Paul Stuart suits are fully canvassed? or are they fused? :confused:

When do they usually have their suits on sale?

All PS suits/jackets are full canvas.

They're made by Samuelsohn Isaia.

There's at least one sale immediately following Christmas. There may also be a summer sale, don't quite remember. But the Christmas sale is the legendary one.

As to the quality at PS, their suits are excellent. They used to carry Southwick suits but stopped when Southwick went half-canvas.

Don't know much about their outerwear.

Their shirts come at two price points -- ~$130 and ~$250. Both are excellent quality. The lower-priced shirts are Canada-made and a notch above BB/Polo/JPress/Thomas Pink. The others might be Italian, but I'm not sure.

All the accessories are exquisite.

Some of their casual clothes are aimed at senior citizens vacationing in Palm Beach, so although I can't speak to the quality, the styling isn't my favorite.

Their dress shoes used to be made exclusively by EG. Their dress shoes are now made excusively by Grenson to or above the standards of their Masterpiece line. I've seen mixed reviews of the new shoes. They're probably below EG in quality (but also $200 less expensive). Most likely they're comparable to C&J Handgrades.

zegnamtl

Elite Member
I have never set foot in a Paul Staurt shop,
I can not address Tomasso's feeling on footwear and outerwear, shirts or atmosphere.

However, their suits and blazers come from Samuelsohn in Montreal and are very well made.
I do know that Samuelsohn makes to the shops specs, so if Stuart demands XYZ, then that is what Samuelsohn will do for them. But, nothing they make is poorly done, so I think you can buy with a degree of certainty.

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
According to past discussions, Paul Stuart apparently uses Samuelsohn as a cut/make/trim, supplying their own cloth and specs.

I've never set foot in a PS store, either, but I love their stuff...a lot. I've got PS suits, sport coats, ties and shoes (the last are Grenson from Bennies). I love browsing the website and catalogs.

PS makes me want to go out and sit on a fence with a cap on.

well-kept

Everything I've ever had from them, except ties, has been first rate - Southwick sport jackets, EG shoes, a truly wonderful grey herringbone Chesterfield coat. Tasteful without being boring. But I do believe their quality in certain areas may have dipped as detailed above.

son of brummell

PS is a great store, and it is probably one of the few old fashioned shops left. I am sorry to say that its next door neighbor, Brooks, looks like a poor relation compared to PS.

I shopped this weekend with my stepson for a suit. We first went to Brooks. We bought the suit at PS.

First, PS has a wide variety of sizes. The kid is a 37. They had it. Not a giantic selection, but Brooks had none in that size. The nearest size, 38, looked like a painter's smock.

The PS quality is excellent. The suit was $984, full canvas, Dugdale cloth, and slim styling. It was what my stepson wanted. I was willing to spring for a few dollars more for the PS suit, however, I pulled-in the purse strings for the purchase of the stepson's sportscoat. We went back to Brooks.

I observed the PS fitting, and the fitter knew what he was doing. He marked-up a good number of changes. In comparison, at Brooks, it is a quick in and out of the fitting room.

While shopping at PS I tried-on a sportscoat. It was very nice.

I have been a Brooks shopper for many years. I still like some of the departments and things, such as MTM shirts with Tommy Davis, and the Peal shoes. However, overall PS is a much better store with much better clothing. The Brooks clothes tend to be shapeless and drab.

Many of the fourm members know that I am a confirmed cheerleader for Oxxford. You cannot get a better suit than at Oxxford. However, I must say that PS is one heck of a store. I tip my hat to it!

Last edited:

kbuzz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
PS expereince

PS is a great store, and it is probably one of the few old fashioned shops left. I am sorry to say that its next door neighbor, Brooks, looks like a poor relation compared to PS.

Many of the fourm members know that I am a confirmed cheerleader for Oxxford. You cannot get a better suit than at Oxxford. However, I must say that PS is one heck of a store. I tip my hat to it!

MArk

You post raises some questions I have had for some time. One, what is the avg. price for a PS suit. Was the 1K suit your purchased for your stepson a sameulshon.

the second related question is the the styling and age clientele. Can we assume your stepson was under 40? Does that mean that PS carries some things that may be attractive to the non palm beach retiree crowd?

What is the styling of the suit. Is it a conservative, soft shoulder etc. Thanks

Will

Honors Member
We've walked by PS many a time but never been in. Is it mostly a trad oriented store?

When much of America was sack, they were proponents of shape in jackets.

Accessories have tended to be more stylish than than at Brooks Brothers.

The world has moved on but Stuart remains an island that they share with Flusser's store.

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
Does that mean that PS carries some things that may be attractive to the non palm beach retiree crowd?

I've never thought of PS in those terms at all. You should go to their website and look through their catalog, which they have online in browsable form. I would consider PS classic styling with a nice dash of dandy.

Trilby

I've never thought of PS in those terms at all. You should go to their website and look through their catalog, which they have online in browsable form. I would consider PS classic styling with a nice dash of dandy.

I am also a very big fan of PS.

As for the above comment, their autumn/winter casual clothes are always wonderful, but I find some of their spring/summer casual things a little over the top. Their spring catalogue is always full of oddly-coloured things that are definitely for the Palm Beach retiree set.

Cantabrigian

Elite Member
I've recently discovered Paul Stuart (I always knew it was there but only recently started shopping there).

Quality seems to be very good and the prices while not good, not unreasonable.

They have what probably is the best collection of over-the-calf dress socks.

I like their suits. The coats do have some shape and a pleasantly soft shoulder.

I was telling my wife the other day that before the last time I was in PS, I would have sworn that I would never consider wearing a purple sportscoat. But they have one there in a very deep shade with a thick navy windowpane that I'm left thinking about.

I can also say that they have some of the best salesmen I've ever encountered for RTW garments at a not extremely high price.

mack11211

Elite Member
Stuart traditionally orients itself toward the older customer who still loves color, thus the cut of suit, and the shop windows.

A younger guy who does not go MTM might still go for the basic sweaters, the shoes, and accessories like suspenders, socks, and ties. The selection of knit ties is always superb. The prices are high, but at the biennial sales, the more eccentric accessories can be had for a song.

Stuart, like BB, has also recently introduced a suit model with narrower lapels, a slimmer fit and (I believe) higher armholes.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange