GITU

I sweat a lot. The other day I was mortified as I walked into my bank and someone who worked there said to a colleague "it must be raining outside". (I wasn't wearing a coat)

I sweat everywhere. What can I do?

Is my only option, heavier fabrics? That day I was wearing a Kiton dress shirt so a very fine fabric, and you could see my body hair on my chest as I sweating pretty bad. It's disgusting. And this was only from walking at a normal pace.

I'm overweight by about 30kg (but am working on that), if that matters with sweating. I understand the physiology; it's body expending heat, but is there something I can do so it's not noticeable on my clothes?

What can I do? What should I tell my tailor?

Thanks!

Mr_David

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
GITU,

I dealt with a similar situation for several years - sweat, especially in the pits - was both annoying and embarrassing. It's just part of life; some people sweat.

I wouldn't switch to heavier fabrics. That can just make the situation worse.

Two recommendations: First, keep working on the weight issue, not only to reduce the sweating, but for your general health. A good cardio regimen will do wonders. Second, find a talcum powder that you like. Even today, I use an old-school pump deoderant spray and a hit of talcum powder in the pits. Pat a little anywhere you typically sweat, and the powder will absorb most of the perspiration. Pinaud Clubman is a good basic powder, or if you want to pick your scent, you might look at Taylor's of Old Bond Street.

Sean Archer

I sweat a lot. The other day I was mortified as I walked into my bank and someone who worked there said to a colleague "it must be raining outside". (I wasn't wearing a coat)

Is my only option, heavier fabrics? That day I was wearing a Kiton dress shirt so a very fine fabric, and you could see my body hair on my chest as I sweating pretty bad. It's disgusting. And this was only from walking at a normal pace.

I'm overweight by about 30kg (but am working on that), if that matters with sweating. I understand the physiology; it's body expending heat, but is there something I can do so it's not noticeable on my clothes?

Thanks!
I take off my suit jacket and roll up my sleeves when walking around at lunch.

magogian

Thanks!
Are you not wearing undershirts? It is quite disgusting if you aren't.

GITU

GITU,

I dealt with a similar situation for several years - sweat, especially in the pits - was both annoying and embarrassing. It's just part of life; some people sweat.

I wouldn't switch to heavier fabrics. That can just make the situation worse.

Two recommendations: First, keep working on the weight issue, not only to reduce the sweating, but for your general health. A good cardio regimen will do wonders. Second, find a talcum powder that you like. Even today, I use an old-school pump deoderant spray and a hit of talcum powder in the pits. Pat a little anywhere you typically sweat, and the powder will absorb most of the perspiration. Pinaud Clubman is a good basic powder, or if you want to pick your scent, you might look at Taylor's of Old Bond Street.
Thanks! Is it safe to put the talcum powder on most of my torso? I sweat most from the back by my shoulder blades, and at the fold the fat makes between my stomach and chest, but it just spreads everywhere.

Packard

How's your bodyweight?

Before I lost my excess weight I sweat a lot. Now much less, but I need a warmer jacket than I used to.

I think, if you are not at your best weight, losing a few pounds will be a big help.

choirmaestro

I'm a little guy - and I sweat a horrible amount. (even when it's cold outside) Despite the undershirt stigma, I wear them constantly. (usually go through about three per day - I keep them at the office) Yes - the hint of white sticking up from an open shirt collar isn't very attractive; but I would rather that then ruin my good clothing.

GITU

How's your bodyweight?

Before I lost my excess weight I sweat a lot. Now much less, but I need a warmer jacket than I used to.

I think, if you are not at your best weight, losing a few pounds will be a big help.
Hi Packard.

I currently weigh 258 pounds. Down from 310 a year ago, and 280 from May. I still seem to sweat at the same rate, but I could be (really) wrong on that front.

GITU

I'm a little guy - and I sweat a horrible amount. (even when it's cold outside) Despite the undershirt stigma, I wear them constantly. (usually go through about three per day - I keep them at the office) Yes - the hint of white sticking up from an open shirt collar isn't very attractive; but I would rather that then ruin my good clothing.
Do you have any recommendations for undershirts if the powder idea does not work?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
No, I don't wear undershirts. I didn't think that was proper, and whenever I see someone who's wearing one, you can almost instantly spot it. I don't want that...
It all boils down to how badly you want to control the visible sweat issue. An undershirt is one of your best offensive (figuratively speaking) weapons in the war! Don't be so quick to discard the option. ;)

GITU

Are there different styles so you won't see the white when you wear your shirt unbuttoned at the top?

Can you recommend a few companies to look at for cheap, effective undershirts? I guess they'll be about 30 a piece, right?

Dr. François

Are there different styles so you won't see the white when you wear your shirt unbuttoned at the top?

Can you recommend a few companies to look at for cheap, effective undershirts? I guess they'll be about 30 a piece, right?
V-neck shirts are good if you're going sans-tie.

I like Jockey "Tall Man" shirts at about 10 bucks each (sold in multi packs). The long tails stay tucked in under a dress shirt. Go one size smaller than the t-shirts you wear casually.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Go with a V-neck shirt design. A T-shirt option that should minimize any outward clues that you are wearing an undershirt is the Ribbed-T design shirts. They are of a rib-knit design, providing a form fit and wicking the sweat away in a more efficient, less noticeable manner! The brand is featured on the AAAC preferred merchants page. Good luck wit the resolution of your dilemma. ;)

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
No, I don't wear undershirts. I didn't think that was proper, and whenever I see someone who's wearing one, you can almost instantly spot it. I don't want that...
It is proper. Wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt is what borders on impropriety. It is a requirement for heavy perspirers. Without it, in addition to looking perpetually panicked and exhausted, you'll quickly ruin your jackets. Seriously.

GITU

V-neck shirts are good if you're going sans-tie.

I like Jockey "Tall Man" shirts at about 10 bucks each (sold in multi packs). The long tails stay tucked in under a dress shirt. Go one size smaller than the t-shirts you wear casually.
Thanks.

Where can I buy these? I really have no idea...

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
As others have noted, you can get a v-neck that will not be visible at the collar. Alternatively, if you're wearing your shirts open at the neck, you could get some colored t-shirts that would complement the rest of your outfit.

mrkleen

Funny what different people find troubling.

You are sweating so much that you can see your chest hair through your shirt...yet you are more concerned with someone seeing 1/8" of white t-shirt under your neck?

GITU

Wouldn't wearing a t shirt really mess up the tailored look of the shirt?

Obviously I'm fat, but my shirts are still tailored for my weight...

Packard

It is proper. Wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt is what borders on impropriety. It is a requirement for heavy perspirers. Without it, in addition to looking perpetually panicked and exhausted, you'll quickly ruin your jackets. Seriously.
When I was growing up not wearing an undershirt was considered quite daring.

You had just three choices: V-neck, crew neck, or wife beater (called an "athletic shirt" back then).

When I went off to college I became "daring" primarily to reduce the laundry burden. I've remained "daring" over the years.

The wife beater is the least satisfactory for dealing with perspiration as it will not address the under arm areas at all.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.