Zim

Starting Member
Hello,

I lost about 60 pounds recently and around the last 15 of them my jacket size went down from a 46 to 44 (while my waist went from a 44-46 to a 38). This has meant saying goodbye to just about all of my tailored clothes.

I picked up a few sport coats to wear while I wait to see what effect further weight loss has on my size. One of them has what I think is a shepherd's check and I realized I don't really know how to match it.

The pattern isn't big to my eyes (squares are about a quarter inch) but it looks more obvious to me than my previous coats. The dark parts of the check are a very dark navy blue. The lighter parts are grey.

What kind of pants would work with a sport coat like this? If someone asked me to match a dark blue or navy coat I'd start by thinking of mid to light grey pants, and charcoal or dark blue pants with a lighter grey coat. I'm not really sure if having both colors makes this one more or less versatile.

Thanks to anyone who read this far. I've attached a couple pictures to help.

20201109_012740.jpg

20201109_012757.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TKI67

I'd pair it with taupe gabardine, even though I am not a gabardine wearer! Congratulations on the weight loss. I just underwent a very similar weight loss. I now have one sport coat other than blazers, a large glen plaid tweed.

Zim

Starting Member
Thank you everyone.

@TKI67 I had to look up some taupe pants to get an idea of the color. I really like it.

Thanks. Congratulations to you as well. It's been tough seeing my clothes become way too big, especially after finding out this last weekend that my neck size went down (I could have sworn I was a 16.5 even back when I was a skinny teenager but all of a sudden I need a 16). It's definitely veen worth it. I'm in a similiar spot with 3 or 4 wearable jackets (4th pending tailoring). Now to just wait and see how my size changes over the final 20 or so pounds.

@Charles Dana I'll keep an eye out. Back when I lived in the northeast it was cold enough I might have wished for double trousers. I'm guessing the outer pair should be a size larger. Perhaps two?

I tried a pair of worsted wool charcoal pants and it looked pretty good but something was a little off. Is it the added texture from flannel or gabardine that would bring it together?

@Andy Thank you. I'll check that link out. It sounds like blues and greys are pretty safe.

@lynnbart Yeah, it's a tough situation, if ultimately a good one. Right now it's hard to resist trying to rebuild my wardrobe before I know for sure what other sizing changes I'll have.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
While I cannot say I have ever worn a collared knit polo shirt with a sweater, I have worn such in combination with various blazers and sport coats on a fair number of occasions. It's cool, it's comfortable and to my eyes, it looks sharp!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I tried a pair of worsted wool charcoal pants and it looked pretty good but something was a little off. Is it the added texture from flannel or gabardine that would bring it together?
Yes. The texture of the sport coat and of the trousers should complement each other. You would not want one garment to be light and smooth and the other to be hardy.

Zim

Starting Member
Thank you everyone. It looks like I'll be on the lookout for a charcoal flannel or gabardine, or taupe gabardine. If my finances survive the holidays remotely intact I should be able to purchase a pair soon.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.